Heavy development has started on a new Fluxbox edition.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
/dev/urandom

Re: Heavy development has started on a new Fluxbox edition.

Post by /dev/urandom »

Partially true.

@Gnarly: KDE requires more work.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

AntiX uses a customized desktop based on IceWM, but Fluxbox is also installed (or part of the default desktop?).

http://antix.mepis.org/
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

AlbertP wrote:AntiX uses a customized desktop based on IceWM, but Fluxbox is also installed (or part of the default desktop?).

http://antix.mepis.org/
Yes, the 'main' version of antiX M11 has both IceWM and Fluxbox installed, but defaults to IceWM, at log-in.

However, antiX-M11-base version uses Fluxbox as the default WM.

All antiX versions are based on Debian's Testing branch ... and are all fast and light on resources.
The .iso file size is, well under 700Mb and can be installed on machines with under 256Mb of RAM.
Great for older hardware, processors and computers.
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

I have tried Antix and i got quiet impressed. It comes with very fiew gnome dependencies and it is fast and lighweight.

When i was trying it, i installed Xfce on top of it and i really enjoyed it (and i have tested some other xfce distro's too)

So, if you are a fluxbox fan, i think it is a great solution.
Gnarly

Post by Gnarly »

Don't get me wrong, I hope that Kendall can find the time to get the next release out the door. Then as a "Rolling Release" we wont have to go thru this again. The Mint Fluxbox has always been a very well polished edition and has always worked great for me. Hopefully that will continue.
RxY

Post by RxY »

:D yeah i have the old linuxmint 9 fluxbox on my old laptop runs like a charm i know its based on buntu but iam sure the debian version will be even stronger thanks to all that put there time into building linuxmint
Herpy

Post by Herpy »

Finally I can stop having to install and configure fluxbox myself, though I do kinda enjoy it but This is great news. May the box be with you.
dexl
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dexl »

Is this official that the next LM Fluxbox will be a rolling release? *drooling* :D
Linux Mint 20 MATE
TomANJ

Post by TomANJ »

Since Gnome 3 has crapped up building things on top of LMDE, will the next update pack do any damage to a Fluxbox setup running on top of LMDE Gnome 2 Pack 3? Other than a couple of GTK 2 themes set with Lxappearance, everthing else i have running is pretty DE agnostic. Libre Office, browsers, Thunderbird, VLC, Gimp, PCManFM. Also, would it be a viable alternative to run Fluxbox on top of LMDE XFCE, rather than a Gnome 3 based LMDE re-spin?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

If you got your programs from the repository, don't worry, they will still work.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
TomANJ

Post by TomANJ »

Thanks Albert. Good to know.

Return to “Software & Applications”