Mint 12 install hangs or presents comand prompt.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LateJunction
Level 4
Level 4

Mint 12 install hangs or presents comand prompt.

Post by LateJunction »

I'm installing Mint 12 32-bit on an Abit AV8, socket 939 motherboard in a system with an nVidia FX5200 AGP graphics card. This system can already dual boot to either WinXP or Ubuntu 10.10. (I want to replace Ubuntu with Mint).

If I allow default install to proceed from a clean boot the install process hangs after some screens full of diagnostic information - the last of which seem to concern the monitor that install is trying to use (I have 2 CRTs connected to the FX5200).

If I choose compatibility mode for install, the process completes very quickly at a mint@mint command prompt

In either case I have no idea of how to proceed. Should it be this difficult to install Mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LateJunction
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint 12 install hangs or presents comand prompt.

Post by LateJunction »

More information:
If I try to install with a PCI graphics card (old Matrox G200), in place of the AGP card, in compatibility mode the system enters a hard wait state with the Mint 12 desktop logo displayed. Only a power off has any effect at this stage.

Does this mean that Mint12 is not yet installable?
LateJunction
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LateJunction »

I note with interest that there is no response to my post (Other than mine).

What does this mean?
Mint is not capable of being installed?
The community has no idea of how to 'trouble shoot' this situation (I certainly don't)?
Nobody is reading this section of the forum?

I need to move on from this status - having a dead system is of benefit to nobody. I guess if there is no support here, I'll have to install an alternative distribution.
slow1

Post by slow1 »

I don't know if my issue is the same but I can't even get that far with my Mint 12 installation. Just got a XPS 15z and I get the splash screen, and then the next page where it starts the command line. it stops at Ready and seems to detect my video card because it switches to hi-res and then just sits at Ready. and does nothing esle. at this point all I can do is reboot the laptop. I don't get any errors, options or anything. Haven't had much success searching the web, and really need to get this machine up and running, so I might just end up going a non mint route if I can't get a resolution
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Did you try to boot with the "nomodeset" or "vga=771" boot option or some other boot option: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootO ... el_Options
Roland
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Roland »

LateJunction wrote:I note with interest that there is no response to my post (Other than mine).

What does this mean?
Mint is not capable of being installed?
The community has no idea of how to 'trouble shoot' this situation (I certainly don't)?
Nobody is reading this section of the forum?

I need to move on from this status - having a dead system is of benefit to nobody. I guess if there is no support here, I'll have to install an alternative distribution.
Yes, I read your post. I can only tell you that I have the same problems and that I am getting desparate. Everything runs fine on my old laptop, but lots of problems with my 6-months-old desktop...
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1896588
meketrefi

Post by meketrefi »

I have exactly the same problem. I created a Live USB for Mint 12 with both USB Startup Disk Creator and UNetbootin. Both boot, but Mint 12 gives me only a mint@mint prompt instead of starting the GUI. "startx" returns an error message, and "gnome-terminal" says it's not there.

Please, help us!

Eduardo
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Run the following command and post the output:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fx
nulesus

Post by nulesus »

meketrefi wrote:I have exactly the same problem. I created a Live USB for Mint 12 with both USB Startup Disk Creator and UNetbootin. Both boot, but Mint 12 gives me only a mint@mint prompt instead of starting the GUI. "startx" returns an error message, and "gnome-terminal" says it's not there.

Please, help us!

Eduardo
+1
Roland
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Roland »

nunol wrote:Run the following command and post the output:

inxi -Fx

System:    Host roland-desktopMint Kernel 2.6.35-22-generic-pae i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint 10 Julia
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5-2300 (-MCP-) cache 6144 KB flags (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips 22346.7 
           Clock Speeds: (1) 1600.00 MHz (2) 1600.00 MHz (3) 1600.00 MHz (4) 1600.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card nVidia Device 0de2 X.Org 1.9.0 Res: 1920x1080@50.0hz 
           GLX Renderer GeForce GT 420/PCI/SSE2 GLX Version 4.1.0 NVIDIA 260.19.06 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio:     Card-1 nVidia Device 0bea driver HDA Intel BusID: 01:00.1
           Card-2 Intel Cougar Point High Definition Audio Controllerdriver HDA Intel BusID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.23
Network:   Card Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Connection driver e1000e v: 1.0.2-k4 at port f040 BusID: 00:19.0
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 2250.5GB (5.7% used) 1: /dev/sda WDC_WD10EARS 1000.2GB 
           2: USB /dev/sdb 2500JB_External 250.1GB 3: USB /dev/sdh Bell_Go 1000.2GB 
Partition: ID:/ size: 579G used: 49G (9%) fs: ext4 
Info:      Processes 194 Uptime 7 min Memory 457.1/4004.2MB Runlevel 2 Client Shell inxi 1.4.12
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

That is not Mint 12!

Mint 10 will reach end of life in April 2012.

Did you try to boot with the "nomodeset" boot option?
Roland
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Roland »

nunol wrote:That is not Mint 12!

Mint 10 will reach end of life in April 2012.

Did you try to boot with the "nomodeset" boot option?
I know ;-)
The point is I can't install Mint 12.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

It's never a good thing when your problem it's the first and third in a google search...
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0026834153 ... gsc.page=1

Waiting for Mint 13 LTS or going for another Mint edition is an option but have you tried this ppa:
http://www.noobslab.com/2011/09/nvidia- ... eiric.html
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 42#p522700
Roland
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Roland »

nunol wrote:It's never a good thing when your problem it's the first and third in a google search...
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0026834153 ... gsc.page=1

Waiting for Mint 13 LTS or going for another Mint edition is an option but have you tried this ppa:
http://www.noobslab.com/2011/09/nvidia- ... eiric.html
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 42#p522700
I am not the topic starter, remember? And yes, as indicated in an earlier post in this thread, I am looking in more than one forum for a solution. My problem is apparently unusual, I 've been searching and trying for 4-5 months now.
mintuser

Post by mintuser »

nomodeset
fixed the hang for me. Graphics look terrible during install when nomodeset is turned on, but the installer at least works.
After install, hold the shift key when booting, this will get you into the grub boot menu, edit the line again and add nomodeset

At this point linux mint should come up and ask to install 'restricted drivers'

I picked 'version-current' and click 'activate'

When it booted again, it hang again, just like the installer.
I hit Ctrl + Alt + F2 to get into a console. Then ran the command:

sudo nvidia-xconfig
After it boots, I got into gnome-3, but still had issues (this media-box is SLOW, so I logged out and changed to 'gnome-classic')
Now it boots without problems.
Roland
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Roland »

Finally I managed (with trial and error) to install Mint 12 as follows:

1. I started the liveCD Mint, not in compatability mode, but with settings 'nomodeset' and 'acpi=off'. The live desktop is Gnome, not Gnome-shell.

2. Installed Mint 12 and rebooted

3. On rebooting: scrambled screen; ctrl+alt+backspace brought me back to the Gnome desktop

4. installed updates, restarted, again ctrl+alt+backspace

5. installed recommended NVidia drivers

6. rebooted: Gnome-shell!
Detonate

Post by Detonate »

OK, I'm having a similar problem. My install hangs right after it detects my mouse. I never get to a command prompt or anything else. It just says that the mouse is detected and it hangs there. My system is a Intel core i5 processor running on a Asus P7P55 LX MB with a Nvidia GeForce GTX550 Ti video card. I am using 64 bit Mint 11 on this computer without problems.

I am going to see if I can set some options and see what happens. More to follow.
Detonate

Post by Detonate »

Here's the followup to my previous post. Hope someone finds this helpful. I started the install disk (usb flash drive in my case) with the option nomodeset. The install booted up to the live session page. Terrible graphics of course. I went through the installation and rebooted to the install Mint 12. Again I had to set the nomodeset option to boot. Then I installed all of the available updates and most importantly, installed the Nvidia proprietary driver. Another reboot and everything seems to be working, no need to set any boot options now.
safrab62

Post by safrab62 »

@ Detonate

Can you tell me how I change the boot option on the Life DVD?
Booting the DVD does its thing and .... hangs

Regards
Frank
safrab62

Post by safrab62 »

Follow up to myself:

I never get the boot menu.

There is only the message "Booting in 5..4..3..2..1"
Then it goes and hangs with a fine Mint 12 background and a moving mouse cursor (if I track the ball of course)
Keyboard is dead "Ctrl-Alt_Back" doesn't anything
Athlon II x 4 8GB RAM, 2,5TB SATA2 HDD, SATA2 DVD, Nvidia GeForce 8

Frank

Return to “Installation & Boot”