how-to install driver for scanner

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
manny433

how-to install driver for scanner

Post by manny433 »

Hello,

I just downloaded Linux IJ Scanner Driver (1.60) for Canon PIXMA MP495.Could you teach me the steps to follow in order to install driver?Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: how-to install driver for scanner

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator
rrinjapan

Post by rrinjapan »

Hi Manny443,

Sorry no one has helped you out on this. I'm not much more than a noob myself when it comes to most things but I think that the easiest way to install the new driver is to

1. drag the folder to the desktop,
2. right click
3. Scroll down to near the bottom of the menu and click 'open in terminal' just above the 'properties' command
4. in the terminal type: sudo ./install.sh

It should install at that point.

To run the scanner you may have to open the terminal and type: scangearmp

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what else to try .... if it works check back with me and I'll help you set up a way to not have to open the terminal each time you want to scan.
Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 »

You can use the GUI for most of this. Go to the file you've downloaded and double-click it.

When it opens, double-click the file with the word "deb" in it.

Extract, click and drag or copy and paste the contents of that file to your Desktop directory or somewhere else you'd like to work with it.

Open the directory after you've extracted it and right-click in the blank space between files. Choose Open in Terminal.

When terminal comes up, type sudo ./install.sh then press Enter. You'll have to type your password and press Enter again.

The installation routine should be self-explanatory.

To use the scanner, open Gimp and click File | Create. You'll find your scanner as one of the options.

If you need more help, check out http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1802858 It is the guide I used to install my printer/scanner.
Last edited by Kevin108 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manny433

Re: how-to install driver for scanner(solved)

Post by manny433 »

rrinjapan wrote:Hi Manny443,

Sorry no one has helped you out on this. I'm not much more than a noob myself when it comes to most things but I think that the easiest way to install the new driver is to

2. right click
3. Scroll down to near the bottom of the menu and click 'open in terminal' just above the 'properties' command

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what else to try .... if it works check back with me and I'll help you set up a way to not have to open the terminal each time you want to scan.
manny433

Post by manny433 »

rrinjapan wrote:Hi Manny443,

2. right click

Thank you very much for your help
silverstroller

Post by silverstroller »

rrinjapan- worked for me after much messing and searching - thank very much for help
rrinjapan

Post by rrinjapan »

Hi Manny433 (sorry about the mistake with your name last time ...) and Silverstroller,

Old new now perhaps but just thought I'd tell you that Ubuntu 12.10 now handles my Canon all in one automatically and the scanner works with Simple Scan.

RR

Return to “Hardware Support”