Windows 8 and Gnome 3

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
BAD

Windows 8 and Gnome 3

Post by BAD »

It looks like Windows 8 and Gnome 3 are meant to be used on touch screens. I guess that is why there is no right click in Gnome 3 and the short cuts are grouped in a single place. If Windows 8 is going to be like Gnome 3 it may be a nightmare for people. What do you all think of this. I know you probably don't care for Windows.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Windows 8 and Gnome 3

Post by xenopeek »

I really don't care one way or the other about Windows. Perhaps nice for general users, but boring to me. But amusing to see news that Windows Server 8 will come without a GUI... After all those years railing against GUI-less Unix, BSD and Linux server platforms :roll:
kijin

Post by kijin »

AFAIK Windows 8 will also include a traditional-looking desktop environment for people who need to get actual work done. I simply can't imagine using Excel, Visual Studio, or Photoshop on a tablet. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the more radical changes in Windows 8 got watered down in Windows 9. Remember, Microsoft caters to millions of corporate customers, and corporations need their employees to keep using familiar productivity applications because training costs a lot. Most corporations will skip Windows 8 and bombard Microsoft with productivity suggestions for Windows 9, which will be more mature. Besides, Microsoft already has a tendency to treat every other Windows release as a sort of beta (cough Vista cough). Odd-numbered versions are like LTS releases.

More likely, once the touchscreen establishes itself as a stable market segment, smart people will realize that 10" portable Facebook browsers need a different UI from dual-24" productivity machines. Then the "make everything look like an iPad" fad will pass, and desktop UIs will begin to diverge again. /optimism
BAD

Post by BAD »

Good point Kijin. MacroSucks should work with business' for a productivity Windows and release somthing for the general user. I agree I do not see it as a good situation to buy 8 right away.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You probably want to visit a Windows support forum for that question.
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

I honestly don't see the point in me caring much about Windows anymore. I got Linux Mint, and that works just fine for me. I rarely even boot into my Windows 7 and XP virtual machines. I just don't need them. Contemplating on removing them entirely, and doing nothing but Linux. But, if I do that, I might not be able to toy with them when I feel like it.
animaguy

Windows 8 and Gnome 3

Post by animaguy »

Linux can be primed for a stampede of former Win7 users who want to give Linux a try.

I hope the Linux Mint team is ready.
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

animaguy wrote:Linux can be primed for a stampede of former Win7 users who want to give Linux a try.

I hope the Linux Mint team is ready.
That's if people have the right kinda hardware. I know that some people won't be fortunate enough to have hardware compatible with Mint. However, I have noticed that change more and more as time goes by.
animaguy

Windows 8 and Gnome 3

Post by animaguy »

Using Linux no matter what flavor takes some adjustment and learning curve.

Hardware, downloading, different desktop, different apps, if it isn't one thing it's another.

Some will fall in love with win8. But some will be mad.

Funny thing is. win8 is a change. so those who stay with win8 are open to change. and those who rebel against win8 may have to consider a linux change. Linux users already know change by default.
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

animaguy wrote:Using Linux no matter what flavor takes some adjustment and learning curve.

Hardware, downloading, different desktop, different apps, if it isn't one thing it's another.

Some will fall in love with win8. But some will be mad.

Funny thing is. win8 is a change. so those who stay with win8 are open to change. and those who rebel against win8 may have to consider a linux change. Linux users already know change by default.
That was one of the reasons why I wanted to try Linux several years ago. I liked the idea of doing something different. Changing things up a bit.
animaguy

Windows 8 and Gnome 3

Post by animaguy »

realitykid wrote:That was one of the reasons why I wanted to try Linux several years ago. I liked the idea of doing something different. Changing things up a bit.
If you are willing to tolerate change with win8 then a linux change is no big deal.

Mint as a Desktop OS requires the lowest hardware specs.

About the only issue of any real concern is the UEFI secure boot.

The UEFI secure boot is about the biggest news in the foreseeable future of desktop OSs.

Return to “Open Chat”