Change icon in system tray

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
longtom

Change icon in system tray

Post by longtom »

Hi,

I have an lxpanel running with a black theme in LMDE xfce. When I start up Opera it uses an icon in the system tray with a light grey background - which looks plain ugly.

I did some research but couldn't come up with a winner.

Is it possible to change the appearance of an icon in the system tray and if yes, how?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Re: Change icon in system tray

Post by DataMan »

You can change the default icon for application launcher's that are anchored to a panel.

1. Right click on the panel application icon.
2. Select the Properties.
3. Right click on the icon
4. Navigate to the icon you want to use (try starting at /usr/share/icons)

As another option, you can copy the icon that you are using and edit it with say GIMP and use the resulting image as a replacement.

Hope this helps.

-DataMan
longtom

Post by longtom »

Thanks DataMan

However - the system tray is not an Application Launch Bar and right clicking on the Opera icon (or any other icon in the system tray) only produces credentials relaying to this particular program. There certainly is no option to change an icon. In any Application Launch Bar the icon used is the one from opera.desktop, as one would like to expect. The system tray, however, appears to follow different routes as far as icon allocation is concerned.

Just to clarify: The system tray (for me) is the part of the panel where icons show of some programs which are active in some or other way. The network icon would be one of them, dropbox icon another one - and the offensive Opera icon.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

longtom wrote:...Just to clarify: The system tray (for me) is the part of the panel where icons show of some programs which are active in some or other way. The network icon would be one of them, dropbox icon another one - and the offensive Opera icon.
To be really clear... System tray is a Windows term.
longtom

Post by longtom »

Habitual wrote:
longtom wrote:...Just to clarify: The system tray (for me) is the part of the panel where icons show of some programs which are active in some or other way. The network icon would be one of them, dropbox icon another one - and the offensive Opera icon.
To be really clear... System tray is a Windows term.
I see. So googling "system tray linux" will not bring up anything? Try it....

Apart from that - do you have anything to offer as far as a solution to the issue is concerned? That would be highly appreciated.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

longtom wrote:I see. So googling "system tray linux" will not bring up anything? Try it....
No thanks. I don't use Google.
About 10,200,000 other people believe there's a "systray" in Linux.
10,200,000 other people would be wrong.

and I did contribute, to your knowledge of what the "Notification Area" is called in Linux.

Have a nice day.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

I'll come back to my original recommendation now that we have digressed through all of the niceties of what constitutes a system tray... :) .

With a variation from my original suggestion, locate the specific app icon that is used in the "system tray" when the app is running. Modifying it's appearance through a image editing program. Of course, you will be faced with the labor or locating the .png file for the icon and editing and replacing it (root priv's).

-DataMan
longtom

Post by longtom »

DataMan wrote:I'll come back to my original recommendation now that we have digressed through all of the niceties of what constitutes a system tray... :) .
Ohoh - you said the word ..... :P
With a variation from my original suggestion, locate the specific app icon that is used in the "system tray" when the app is running. Modifying it's appearance through a image editing program. Of course, you will be faced with the labor or locating the .png file for the icon and editing and replacing it (root priv's).

-DataMan
Yes - I follow your train of thought. I, surprisingly enough, arrived at the same point. However - I failed to locate the icons or the directory where they might be possibly located. I went through quite a few including lots of in /usr/share as well as ~/.opera/icons . Of course I didn't do them all - that would take some time I reckon.

So I was wondering if somebody could give a hint what would be the most likely places to search apart from:

/usr/share/icons
/usr/share/applications
/usr/share/lxpanel/images/xkb-flags
~/.opera/icons

I failed to find the offensive icons in those.

Thanks.

Return to “LMDE Archive”