Epson Printers, All In Ones, etc...check here!!!

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: Epson Printers, All In Ones, etc...check here!!!

Postby librechick on Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:50 am

http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/se_terms_2_en.txt

If you read the license agreement above you will discover a problem with this program. Some of these printers rely on object code to work and that software is distributed under the conditions of a restrictive non-free license agreement. While LinuxMint includes some non-free drivers/firmware such hardware is anti-user. It makes it difficult to use, install, and maintain. The free software community can't fix bugs or make improvements. LinuxMint and other distributions work based on the cooperation of companies and individuals. When these companies don't play nice we all suffer. Your printer shouldn't break just because you upgrade or the manufacturer decides to stop supporting it.

Fortunately some projects have realised this and don't distribute non-free code any more. Debian, ALSA, linux-libre, and other projects are slowly moving us forward and making it easier to avoid these issues. While LinuxMint is a good starter distribution it would be nice if there were a program to let you know about the non-free software you were dependent on and how to go about finding freedom loving hardware.

HP is the only company that is making it clear (if you know what to look for) which printers are free software compatible. On the HP driver web site they list which printers require a plug-in or non-free firmware. If you can help it go with HP and don't buy those which are dependent on the non-free components.

http://www.thinkpenguin.com/ is committed to free software. They only sell hardware that is free software compatible. If you need a place to go and don't want to do any of the research I highly recommend them. Their end user support is great too.
librechick
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby oahida on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:50 pm

Epson is the best brand for printer,i think so.i have
http://penta.com.au/index.php?main_page ... s_id=66648

this one since 1year using as scaner and printer and copier without faceing any hassle
oahida
Level 1
Level 1

Postby red110kev on Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:31 pm

OK. So today I bought an Epson SX445W all-in-one and installed the drivers from the avasys site, but I still get the 'usr/lib/cups/filter/gstoraster failed' message.

Tried removing/re-adding the printer, re-installing the lsb 3.2 package. I've been on this for hours and it's driving me nuts!

I used to have an Epson CX5400 hooked up no problem but it finally gave up the ghost so I went for another Epson thinking there would be no problem. How wrong was I?

When connected up it came up as an Epson SX440 - didn't work. Same gstoraster failed problem.

Found this post and tried installing from the avasys site but still no change.

HELP!

Can anyone point me in the right direction as I've spent hours and hours on the internet and I'm getting more and more confused?

I'm a total newbie to linux (got fed up with windoze) so have no great linux experience (I need it spelling out).

I'm on Mint 12.

Thanks.
red110kev
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AlbertP on Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:39 pm

Please install the system-config-printer-gnome package from Software Manager. Then please press Alt-F2 and run system-config-printer. There you have an easier tool for setting up printers. Please right-click your printer, go to Properties, and tell us what you see at "Make/model".

By the way, where do you see that gstoraster failed message?
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Postby red110kev on Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:21 am

Albert, you're a bloody genius!

Did as you said and installed system-config-printer and ran via alt+F2.

From properties, make and model was 'Epson Stylus 440, Epson Inkjet printer driver (ESC/P-R) for Linux [en]' so went to change the driver and found the one I had downloaded from avasys which was 'Epson Stylus SX440 Series epson-inkjet-printer 1.0.0.1lsb3.2 (Seiko epson corporation 3.2) [en]'

Applied the change and the printer works beautifully.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'm in my 50's so some of this stuff is a bit too technical for me sometimes so you've saved me from reverting back to windoze just to get my printer working.

Cheers.

By the way, the gstorater failed message came up when I tried to print initially and a troubleshooting 'window' came up.
The full message was...

Code: Select all
Page 1 (Scheduler not running?):
{'cups_connection_failure': False}
Page 2 (Is local server publishing?):
{'local_server_exporting_printers': False}
Page 3 (Choose printer):
{'cups_dest': <cups.Dest Epson-Stylus-SX440 (default)>,
 'cups_instance': None,
 'cups_queue': 'Epson-Stylus-SX440',
 'cups_queue_listed': True}
Page 4 (Check printer sanity):
{'cups_device_uri_scheme': u'usb',
 'cups_printer_dict': {'device-uri': u'usb://EPSON/Stylus%20SX440?serial=4E3956593134303663&interface=1',
                       'printer-info': u'EPSON Epson Stylus SX440',
                       'printer-is-shared': True,
                       'printer-location': u'administrator-NC182AA-ABU-SR5606UK',
                       'printer-make-and-model': u'Epson Stylus SX440, Epson Inkjet Printer Driver (ESC/P-R) for Linux',
                       'printer-state': 3,
                       'printer-state-message': u'/usr/lib/cups/filter/gstoraster failed',
                       'printer-state-reasons': [u'none'],
                       'printer-type': 135180,
                       'printer-uri-supported': u'ipp://localhost:631/printers/Epson-Stylus-SX440'},
 'cups_printer_remote': False,
 'is_cups_class': False,
 'local_cups_queue_attributes': {'auth-info-required': u'none',
                                 'charset-configured': u'utf-8',
                                 'charset-supported': [u'us-ascii', u'utf-8'],
                                 'color-supported': True,
                                 'compression-supported': [u'none', u'gzip'],
                                 'copies-default': 1,
                                 'copies-supported': (1, 9999),
                                 'cups-version': u'1.5.0',
                                 'device-uri': u'usb://EPSON/Stylus%20SX440?serial=4E3956593134303663&interface=1',
                                 'document-format-default': u'application/octet-stream',
                                 'document-format-supported': [u'application/octet-stream',
                                                               u'application/openofficeps',
                                                               u'application/pdf',
                                                               u'application/postscript',
                                                               u'application/vnd.adobe-reader-postscript',
                                                               u'application/vnd.cups-banner',
                                                               u'application/vnd.cups-pdf',
                                                               u'application/vnd.cups-postscript',
                                                               u'application/vnd.cups-raster',
                                                               u'application/vnd.cups-raw',
                                                               u'application/x-cshell',
                                                               u'application/x-csource',
                                                               u'application/x-perl',
                                                               u'application/x-shell',
                                                               u'image/gif',
                                                               u'image/jpeg',
                                                               u'image/png',
                                                               u'image/tiff',
                                                               u'image/x-bitmap',
                                                               u'image/x-photocd',
                                                               u'image/x-portable-anymap',
                                                               u'image/x-portable-bitmap',
                                                               u'image/x-portable-graymap',
                                                               u'image/x-portable-pixmap',
                                                               u'image/x-sgi-rgb',
                                                               u'image/x-sun-raster',
                                                               u'image/x-xbitmap',
                                                               u'image/x-xpixmap',
                                                               u'image/x-xwindowdump',
                                                               u'text/css',
                                                               u'text/html',
                                                               u'text/plain'],
                                 'finishings-default': 3,
                                 'finishings-supported': [3],
                                 'generated-natural-language-supported': [u'en-us'],
                                 'ipp-versions-supported': [u'1.0',
                                                            u'1.1',
                                                            u'2.0',
                                                            u'2.1'],
                                 'ippget-event-life': 15,
                                 'job-creation-attributes-supported': [u'copies',
                                                                       u'finishings',
                                                                       u'ipp-attribute-fidelity',
                                                                       u'job-hold-until',
                                                                       u'job-name',
                                                                       u'job-priority',
                                                                       u'job-sheets',
                                                                       u'media',
                                                                       u'media-col',
                                                                       u'multiple-document-handling',
                                                                       u'number-up',
                                                                       u'output-bin',
                                                                       u'output-mode',
                                                                       u'orientation-requested',
                                                                       u'page-ranges',
                                                                       u'print-quality',
                                                                       u'printer-resolution',
                                                                       u'sides'],
                                 'job-hold-until-default': u'no-hold',
                                 'job-hold-until-supported': [u'no-hold',
                                                              u'indefinite',
                                                              u'day-time',
                                                              u'evening',
                                                              u'night',
                                                              u'second-shift',
                                                              u'third-shift',
                                                              u'weekend'],
                                 'job-ids-supported': True,
                                 'job-k-limit': 0,
                                 'job-k-octets-supported': [304570680],
                                 'job-page-limit': 0,
                                 'job-priority-default': 50,
                                 'job-priority-supported': [100],
                                 'job-quota-period': 0,
                                 'job-settable-attributes-supported': [u'copies',
                                                                       u'finishings',
                                                                       u'job-hold-until',
                                                                       u'job-name',
                                                                       u'job-priority',
                                                                       u'media',
                                                                       u'media-col',
                                                                       u'multiple-document-handling',
                                                                       u'number-up',
                                                                       u'output-bin',
                                                                       u'output-mode',
                                                                       u'orientation-requested',
                                                                       u'page-ranges',
                                                                       u'print-quality',
                                                                       u'printer-resolution',
                                                                       u'sides'],
                                 'job-sheets-default': (u'none', u'none'),
                                 'job-sheets-supported': [u'none',
                                                          u'classified',
                                                          u'confidential',
                                                          u'secret',
                                                          u'standard',
                                                          u'topsecret',
                                                          u'unclassified'],
                                 'jpeg-k-octets-supported': (0, 304570680),
                                 'jpeg-x-dimension-supported': (0, 65535),
                                 'jpeg-y-dimension-supported': (1, 65535),
                                 'marker-change-time': 0,
                                 'media-bottom-margin-supported': [296, 0],
                                 'media-col-supported': [u'media-bottom-margin',
                                                         u'media-left-margin',
                                                         u'media-right-margin',
                                                         u'media-size',
                                                         u'media-source',
                                                         u'media-top-margin',
                                                         u'media-type'],
                                 'media-default': u'iso_a4_210x297mm',
                                 'media-left-margin-supported': [296, 0],
                                 'media-right-margin-supported': [296, 0],
                                 'media-supported': [u'oe_4-x6-full_4x6in',
                                                     u'oe_t4-x6-full_4x6in',
                                                     u'om_2-l_127x177.94mm',
                                                     u'om_t2-l_127x177.94mm',
                                                     u'iso_a4_210x297mm',
                                                     u'om_ta4_209.97x296.96mm'],
                                 'media-top-margin-supported': [296, 0],
                                 'multiple-document-handling-supported': [u'separate-documents-uncollated-copies',
                                                                          u'separate-documents-collated-copies'],
                                 'multiple-document-jobs-supported': True,
                                 'multiple-operation-time-out': 300,
                                 'natural-language-configured': u'en-us',
                                 'notify-attributes-supported': [u'printer-state-change-time',
                                                                 u'notify-lease-expiration-time',
                                                                 u'notify-subscriber-user-name'],
                                 'notify-events-default': [u'job-completed'],
                                 'notify-events-supported': [u'job-completed',
                                                             u'job-config-changed',
                                                             u'job-created',
                                                             u'job-progress',
                                                             u'job-state-changed',
                                                             u'job-stopped',
                                                             u'printer-added',
                                                             u'printer-changed',
                                                             u'printer-config-changed',
                                                             u'printer-deleted',
                                                             u'printer-finishings-changed',
                                                             u'printer-media-changed',
                                                             u'printer-modified',
                                                             u'printer-restarted',
                                                             u'printer-shutdown',
                                                             u'printer-state-changed',
                                                             u'printer-stopped',
                                                             u'server-audit',
                                                             u'server-restarted',
                                                             u'server-started',
                                                             u'server-stopped'],
                                 'notify-lease-duration-default': 86400,
                                 'notify-lease-duration-supported': (0,
                                                                     2147483647),
                                 'notify-max-events-supported': [100],
                                 'notify-pull-method-supported': [u'ippget'],
                                 'notify-schemes-supported': [u'dbus',
                                                              u'mailto',
                                                              u'rss'],
                                 'number-up-default': 1,
                                 'number-up-supported': [1, 2, 4, 6, 9, 16],
                                 'operations-supported': [2,
                                                          16423],
                                 'orientation-requested-default': None,
                                 'orientation-requested-supported': [3,
                                                                     6],
                                 'output-bin-default': u'face-up',
                                 'output-bin-supported': [u'face-up'],
                                 'output-mode-default': u'color',
                                 'output-mode-supported': [u'monochrome',
                                                           u'color'],
                                 'page-ranges-supported': True,
                                 'pages-per-minute': 1,
                                 'pages-per-minute-color': 1,
                                 'pdf-k-octets-supported': (0, 304570680),
                                 'pdf-versions-supported': [u'adobe-1.2',
                                                            u'adobe-1.3',
                                                            u'adobe-1.4',
                                                            u'adobe-1.5',
                                                            u'adobe-1.6',
                                                            u'adobe-1.7',
                                                            u'iso-19005-1_2005',
                                                            u'iso-32000-1_2008',
                                                            u'pwg-5102.3'],
                                 'pdl-override-supported': [u'attempted'],
                                 'port-monitor': u'none',
                                 'port-monitor-supported': [u'none'],
                                 'print-color-mode-default': u'color',
                                 'print-color-mode-supported': [u'monochrome',
                                                                u'color'],
                                 'print-quality-default': 4,
                                 'print-quality-supported': [4],
                                 'printer-commands': u'none',
                                 'printer-current-time': '(IPP_TAG_DATE)',
                                 'printer-dns-sd-name': None,
                                 'printer-error-policy': u'retry-job',
                                 'printer-error-policy-supported': [u'abort-job',
                                                                    u'retry-current-job',
                                                                    u'retry-job',
                                                                    u'stop-printer'],
                                 'printer-icons': u'http://localhost:631/icons/Epson-Stylus-SX440.png',
                                 'printer-info': u'EPSON Epson Stylus SX440',
                                 'printer-is-accepting-jobs': True,
                                 'printer-is-shared': True,
                                 'printer-location': u'administrator-NC182AA-ABU-SR5606UK',
                                 'printer-make-and-model': u'Epson Stylus SX440, Epson Inkjet Printer Driver (ESC/P-R) for Linux',
                                 'printer-more-info': u'http://localhost:631/printers/Epson-Stylus-SX440',
                                 'printer-name': u'Epson-Stylus-SX440',
                                 'printer-op-policy': u'default',
                                 'printer-op-policy-supported': [u'authenticated',
                                                                 u'default'],
                                 'printer-resolution-default': (300, 300, 3),
                                 'printer-resolution-supported': [(300,
                                                                   3)],
                                 'printer-settable-attributes-supported': [u'printer-info',
                                                                           u'printer-location'],
                                 'printer-state': 3,
                                 'printer-state-change-time': 1342278844,
                                 'printer-state-message': u'/usr/lib/cups/filter/gstoraster failed',
                                 'printer-state-reasons': [u'none'],
                                 'printer-type': 135180,
                                 'printer-up-time': 1342278935,
                                 'printer-uri-supported': [u'ipp://localhost:631/printers/Epson-Stylus-SX440'],
                                 'printer-uuid': u'urn:uuid:15e1163d-2c2c-38f9-7f1a-648c9f355e9a',
                                 'queued-job-count': 1,
                                 'server-is-sharing-printers': False,
                                 'sides-default': u'one-sided',
                                 'sides-supported': [u'one-sided'],
                                 'uri-authentication-supported': [u'requesting-user-name'],
                                 'uri-security-supported': [u'none'],
                                 'which-jobs-supported': [u'completed',
                                                          u'not-completed',
                                                          u'aborted',
                                                          u'all',
                                                          u'canceled',
                                                          u'pending',
                                                          u'pending-held',
                                                          u'processing',
                                                          u'processing-stopped']}}
Page 5 (Check PPD sanity):
{'cups_printer_ppd_defaults': {u'General': {u'Ink': u'COLOR',
                                            u'PageRegion': u'A4',
                                            u'PageSize': u'A4',
                                            u'Quality': u'PLAIN_NORMAL'}},
 'cups_printer_ppd_valid': True,
 'missing_pkgs_and_exes': ([], [])}
Page 6 (Local or remote?):
{'printer_is_remote': False}
Page 7 (Choose device):
{'cups_device_dict': {'device-class': u'direct',
                      'device-id': u'MFG:EPSON;CMD:ESCPL2,BDC,D4,D4PX,ESCPR1;MDL:Epson Stylus SX440;CLS:PRINTER;DES:EPSON Epson Stylus SX440;CID:EpsonRGB;FID:FXN,DPN,WFA,ETN,AFN,DAN;',
                      'device-info': u'Epson Stylus SX440',
                      'device-location': u'',
                      'device-make-and-model': u'Epson Stylus SX440'}}
Page 8 (Printer state reasons):
{'printer-state-message': u'/usr/lib/cups/filter/gstoraster failed',
 'printer-state-reasons': [u'none']}
Page 9 (Error log checkpoint):
{'cups_server_settings': {'BrowseLocalProtocols': 'CUPS dnssd',
                          'DefaultAuthType': 'Basic',
                          'JobPrivateAccess': 'default',
                          'JobPrivateValues': 'default',
                          'MaxLogSize': '0',
                          'SubscriptionPrivateAccess': 'default',
                          'SubscriptionPrivateValues': 'default',
                          'SystemGroup': 'lpadmin',
                          'WebInterface': 'Yes',
                          '_debug_logging': '0',
                          '_remote_admin': '0',
                          '_remote_any': '0',
                          '_remote_printers': '0',
                          '_share_printers': '0',
                          '_user_cancel_any': '0'},
 'error_log_checkpoint': 30256L,
 'error_log_debug_logging_set': True}
Page 10 (Error log fetch):
{'error_log': ['D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:45 +0100] cupsdSetBusyState: newbusy="Dirty files", busy="Active clients and dirty files"',
               'D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:45 +0100] cupsdReadClient: 14 POST / HTTP/1.1',
               'D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:45 +0100] cupsdSetBusyState: newbusy="Active clients and dirty files", busy="Dirty files"',
               'D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:45 +0100] cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data provided.',
               'D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:45 +0100] cupsdReadClient: 14 1.1 Get-Jobs 1',
               'D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:45 +0100] Get-Jobs ipp://localhost/printers/',
               'D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:45 +0100] [Job 34] Loading attributes...',
               'D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:45 +0100] Returning IPP successful-ok for Get-Jobs (ipp://localhost/printers/) from localhost',
               'D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:45 +0100] cupsdSetBusyState: newbusy="Dirty files", busy="Active clients and dirty files"',
               'D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:45 +0100] cupsdReadClient: 14 POST / HTTP/1.1',
               'D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:45 +0100] cupsdSetBusyState: newbusy="Active clients and dirty files", busy="Dirty files"',
               'D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:45 +0100] cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data provided.',
               'D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:45 +0100] cupsdReadClient: 14 1.1 Get-Jobs 1',
               'D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:45 +0100] Get-Jobs ipp://localhost/printers/',
               'D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:45 +0100] [Job 32] Loading attributes...',
               'D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:45 +0100] [Job 33] Loading attributes...',
               'D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:45 +0100] Returning IPP successful-ok for Get-Jobs (ipp://localhost/printers/) from localhost',
               'D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:45 +0100] cupsdSetBusyState: newbusy="Dirty files", busy="Active clients and dirty files"',
               'D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:45 +0100] cupsdReadClient: 14 GET /admin/conf/cupsd.conf HTTP/1.1',
               'D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:45 +0100] cupsdIsAuthorized: username=""',
               'D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:45 +0100] cupsdSendHeader: 14 WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm="CUPS", trc="y"',
               'D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:45 +0100] cupsdCloseClient: 14',
               'D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:45 +0100] cupsdAcceptClient: 14 from localhost (Domain)',
               'D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:45 +0100] cupsdReadClient: 14 GET /admin/conf/cupsd.conf HTTP/1.1',
               'D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:45 +0100] cupsdAuthorize: Authorized as administrator using PeerCred',
               'D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:45 +0100] cupsdIsAuthorized: username="administrator"',
               'D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:45 +0100] cupsdAuthorize: Authorized as administrator using PeerCred',
               'D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:45 +0100] cupsdReadClient: 14 PUT /admin/conf/cupsd.conf HTTP/1.1',
               'I [14/Jul/2012:16:16:45 +0100] Installing config file "/etc/cups/cupsd.conf"...',
               'D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:46 +0100] cupsdSetBusyState: newbusy="Dirty files", busy="Active clients and dirty files"',
               'D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:46 +0100] cupsdCloseClient: 14',
               'D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:46 +0100] cupsdSetBusyState: newbusy="Dirty files", busy="Dirty files"',
               'I [14/Jul/2012:16:16:46 +0100] Saving printers.conf...',
               'I [14/Jul/2012:16:16:46 +0100] Generating printcap /var/run/cups/printcap...',
               'D [14/Jul/2012:16:16:46 +0100] cupsdSetBusyState: newbusy="Not busy", busy="Dirty files"',
               'E [14/Jul/2012:16:16:46 +0100] Unknown directive JobPrivateAccess on line 88.',
               'E [14/Jul/2012:16:16:46 +0100] Unknown directive JobPrivateValues on line 89.',
               'E [14/Jul/2012:16:16:46 +0100] Unknown directive SubscriptionPrivateAccess on line 90.',
               'E [14/Jul/2012:16:16:46 +0100] Unknown directive SubscriptionPrivateValues on line 91.',
               "W [14/Jul/2012:16:16:46 +0100] failed to AddProfile: org.freedesktop.ColorManager.Failed:profile object path '/org/freedesktop/ColorManager/profiles/Epson_Stylus_SX440_Gray__' has already been added",
               "W [14/Jul/2012:16:16:46 +0100] failed to AddProfile: org.freedesktop.ColorManager.Failed:profile object path '/org/freedesktop/ColorManager/profiles/Epson_Stylus_SX440_RGB__' has already been added"],
 'error_log_debug_logging_unset': True}
Page 11 (Locale issues):
{'printer_page_size': u'A4',
 'system_locale_lang': None,
 'user_locale_ctype': 'en_GB',
 'user_locale_messages': 'en_GB'}
Last edited by zerozero on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: use of code blocks for readability
red110kev
Level 1
Level 1

Postby fisk-king on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:13 am

Hello everyone,

I just installed Linux Mint 12 on my mothers computer but I cannot seem to get her Epson NX420 model working. I installed the lib 3.2 and set the printer as default, but whenever I try to print it only feeds all the printer papers without printing.

Can anyone help?
fisk-king
Level 1
Level 1

Postby fisk-king on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:11 am

sorry for bumping this but can anyone help? I'm a total newb here.
fisk-king
Level 1
Level 1

Postby pdc_2 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:18 am

If you google on

epson linux printer drivers

the first hit is this: the official Epson Linux Driver site

http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/

If you scroll half-way down the page, and click on multi-functional inkjet printers, (as I understand yours is............>)

you get this

http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/spc/DL1.do

you select the model number (NX420??)

and you get this

http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/downl ... kjet/escp/

I think they want you to agree to a licence

if you use the Control-F function in your browser (FIND function..............)

you will see there is a specific driver for your 420 ..........called the 420driver; you need to work out if you are using 32bit or 64bit Mint on your mum's computer; and download the appropriate .deb package (Mint uses debian packages);

If you left-click to download, your system is likely to jump in and offer to install with gdebi installer; I would recommend you accept that offer and install the driver;

scanner: go to the scanner page

http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/scan/DL1.do

they say

"Image Scan! for Linux" is a scanner utility that makes it easy to obtain high quality images on Linux with your EPSON scanner or MFP (Multifunction Laser Printers) or All-in-Ones (Multifunction Inkjet Printers).

they ask you some questions: complete as you see fit and download the scan utility (you need the iscan .deb package)

let us know how you get along ......

...........by the way, you have posted on what I believe is a STICKY: these are threads at the beginning of a forum, that often have a HOW-TO;

Mint is more relaxed, but other forums frown, or lock, stickies to keep them to a focused information function:

hence folks may not have caught your posting: you are often better to start a new thread................good luck
pdc_2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby fisk-king on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:18 pm

thanks pdc_2 :D
fisk-king
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dupek on Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:21 pm

I got yesterday the XP-310. I found the drivers at Epson site. Epson claim that officially do not support drivers for Linux, but they do. Strange. Got working printer.
dupek
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AlbertP on Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:44 pm

That they do not officially support it, means that they don't provide technical support by e-mail or phone. They do have drivers, but may not help you out if you have a problem using or installing them.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Postby joelpaz on Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:48 pm

I'm using Linux Mint 15 olivia, cinnamon and ubuntu 13.10 and erased windows from the 320 Gb harddisk of my notebook. I bought an epson expression xp-201 all-in-one but the linux applications that I have installed (simple scan and xsane) don't recognize the scanner. It recognizes the printer with the Printers application and prints but doesn't recognize the scanner with the scanner apps. I've checked just about all the threads and tried the commands in the terminal but nothing happens. I also visited the web sites but epson says it doesn't support Linux drivers and the other site doesn't have any driver downloads anymore. I know I have to install some drivers so that the scanner will work. Help please. Note: The epson all-in-one works fine with another laptop that has windows but I would rather use Mint.
joelpaz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby alexjoseph on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:08 am

Thanks for sharing such a useful information.
alexjoseph
Level 1
Level 1

Postby axd250 on Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:47 am

First, thanks for all the previous good information!
I have a notebook dell Inspiron N5010 and I'm using Linux Mint 16 Petra, cinnamon. I bought an Epson L355 all-in-one and I've already downloaded the printer and scan drivers for linux from Epson website: epson-inkjet-printer-201207w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_i386.deb and iscan_2.29.3-1~usb0.1.ltdl7_i386.deb, but I need basic help for installing then, since the system doesn't recognize them automatically.
axd250
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mich69 on Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:43 pm

instillation for the epson all in one xp-610 printer
I need your help regarding an instillation for the epson all in one xp-610 printer to work on my lap top computer using Linux mint lisa. I tried to download the Epson-XP-610_Series-epson-driver and saved to my computer but still didn't work.. if it's wired only printing blank page and wireless printing nothing! Also I'm not an expert on that specially running an application or an installation to run the driver to my computer! so if you can please tell me what to do and the steps to install it I do really appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Mik
mich69
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bboe on Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:59 am

@ axd250
Did you try double-click on the .deb file and then click on "install"?
bboe
Level 1
Level 1

Postby oldtraveler on Sun May 18, 2014 10:58 am

bboe wrote:@ axd250
Did you try double-click on the .deb file and then click on "install"?

Trying to install my Epson XP-400 on the new Mint 17 when I click on the deb file (which I saved from the epson site for linux drivers)
I get en error message stating "Broken dependencies" . Further in the message it says to run sudo spt-get install -f in a terminal window. After completing that process it still won't print.

If I try installing by "adding a printer" it recognizes the printer and installs (supposedly) the driver. The printer shows up as an installed printer, but it only spews out blank pages.

Where do I go from here?
oldtraveler
Level 2
Level 2

Postby pdc_2 on Sun May 18, 2014 3:34 pm

You are often much better starting a new thread; this is one of this "goes on for ever" threads

on the new Mint 17

Gosh; I didn't think it was officially released; the one last Friday was a RC which means release candidate; which is a check it out folks version; did you install the 64bit version?

can you paste this into a terminal please
dpkg -l | grep epson-inkjet-printer
and paste back what you get please;

so your printer is joined by usb cable to a standalone computer

what does
/usr/sbin/lpinfo -v
give please?
pdc_2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby oldtraveler on Mon May 19, 2014 2:22 pm

pdc_2 wrote:You are often much better starting a new thread; this is one of this "goes on for ever" threads

on the new Mint 17

can you paste this into a terminal please
dpkg -l | grep epson-inkjet-printer
and paste back what you get please;
I get nothing.

so your printer is joined by usb cable to a standalone computer

what does
/usr/sbin/lpinfo -v
give please?

network https
network socket
network http
network lpd
network ipp
network ipps
network ipp14
direct hp
network smb
direct hpfax
network dnssd://EPSON%20XP-400%20Series._ipp._tcp.local/
network lpd://192.168.1.5:515/PASSTHRU

My printer is wireless on a router.

I am trying a re-install today. Now adding a printer hangs up on trying to install driver epson-inkjet-printer-201203W
oldtraveler
Level 2
Level 2

Postby pdc_2 on Mon May 19, 2014 5:27 pm

thanks

I am trying a re-install today
good luck: 32bit? 64bit? Do let us know; I stick with 32bit as printers are often happier with 32bit systems;

Now adding a printer hangs up on trying to install driver epson-inkjet-printer-201203W
..... can you describe in more detail what is happening............. in Mint, when you click to Download, you are usually offered two options:

OPEN or SAVE (the package you are downloading); if you select OPEN, it oftens offers: open with gdebi installer; that is usually a great option to select as the install is done; as the download occurs; and as dpkg is doing it, it is all recorded and reconciled in your system; a memory of what has been installed is kept;

so to get the driver, I would go here http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... ch/?OSC=LX and tap in XP-400 and end up here

http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02 ... e3a4e486ad

for 32bit I would select epson-inkjet-printer-201203w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_i386.deb
for 64bit I would select epson-inkjet-printer-201203w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb

that's what you did?

the plan would be: 1)stable system; 2)add epson drivers; 3)then configure printer: your system should pick up wireless printer; click to add it
pdc_2
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Printers & Scanners