Cannot get KDE to update from 4.7.3 to 4.7.4 or 4.7.95

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
IslandWolf

Cannot get KDE to update from 4.7.3 to 4.7.4 or 4.7.95

Post by IslandWolf »

I have issued the command sudo apt-get upgrade, as well as sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, and yet I still only have KDE 4.7.3 installed. And it crashes or misbehaves frequently. So how do I really upgrade my KDE installation?

Thanks in advance!

Richard
:?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exton

Re: Cannot get KDE to update from 4.7.3 to 4.7.4 or 4.7.95

Post by exton »

I never learn. One can never too clear. You must of course first update your package sources. Run command sudo apt-get update then sudo apt-get upgrade.

Screenshot 1: apt-get upgrade

Screenshot 2: Synaptic after apt-get update.

And it crashes or misbehaves frequently you say. Can you be a little more specific? Are you sure you have a correct ISO-file? No burning issues?
IslandWolf

Post by IslandWolf »

Thanks. My ISO was perfect when I used it some weeks ago to do the install. I ran Gnome for several days, then made the switch to KDE and uninstalled all things Gnome. I have just today installed the latest ATI drivers for Linux (I have a Radeon 4290 built into my Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 mainboard).

Why have you assumed that I did not issue those exact commands in that exact order?

Here are my results from the command line interface after I executed sudo apt-get update:
lots of lines of text ...
Fetched 172 kB in 9s (17.8 kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done
richard@SilverWolf ~ $ sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
richard@SilverWolf ~ $

Synaptic, after I tell it Reload and filter on "KDE", tells me that I have "1571 packages listed, 2772 installed, 0 broken, 0 to install/upgrade, 0 to remove". Yet KDE still shows itself to be 4.7.3.

My repositories might be hosed. If that is the case, how do I get them back to where they should be?

Several times the Plasma Workspace has crashed, and the replies I get from the bug reporting site all say that my problems have been fixed in the 4.7.4 or 4.8 releases. Other misbehaviors include screen refresh errors. For example, I switch from Kmail to SRWare Iron and the title line for Iron is garbled, or some of the KMail window appears in the Iron window and cannot be corrected with a page refresh. KDE becomes unresponsive, forcing a cold boot: I have had to Ctrl-Alt-F1 into another session, log in, and shutdown just to regain control again. Occasionally, I could not even do that and have had to resort to cycling power at the back of the box.

I have 16 GB of memory, which tests good, so that isn't the problem. I have a suspicion that the ATI drivers are still nipping at my heels, because I am running MS Windows 7 Pro 64 bit in a VirtualBox VM and it has not hiccuped even once: flawless visual, flawless performance. So I am thinking that the team at ATI has left a bug or two in their Linux drivers. Not being a programmer, I have no way of verifying that.

I hope my screenshot uploaded, but I don't think it did. I got the message, "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."

Richard
exton

Post by exton »

Ok, I see. You must have (accidently) removed some necessary programs when uninstalling Gnome etc. Why did you remove Gnome? (Just don't use it if you don't like it). Many Gnome-files are necessary in any Ubuntu-system.

What you could do now: Reinstall. Then upgrade KDE the way I stated before.

You could also (first) try to copy sources.list (/etc/apt/sources.list) while running DebEX-Mint 12 Xmas live to the same place in your installed system. (Then start up DebEX-Mint from hard disk and upgrade KDE).

Good luck!

Edit
I forgot to answer your question: Why have you assumed that I did not issue those exact commands in that exact order?
Answer: Because if you do that (without messing up the system before) KDE 4.7.4 will be installed.
exton

Post by exton »

My new version (120104) of DebEX-Mint 12 Special live dvd is ready.

New features in version 120104 of DebEX-Mint 12
1. KDE has been updated to version 4.7.4
2. New kernel - 3.1.6-debex
3. Wicd is uninstalled. Instead, I made ​​Network Manager available in KDE
4. New links to the Ubiquity installer in KDE
5. I have installed SSH (on request)
6. Installed firmware for Broadcom wireless cards
7. Application Source for Spotify (Apt/Synaptic)
8. Certain appearance changes.

READ MORE
English
Swedish
Daboo

Post by Daboo »

KDE 4.7.9 RC2 has been out for awhile. I've been using it for a week or so with no issues at all. KDE 4.8 is now on the server, though I've heard the official announcement isn't scheduled till 25 January.

Chris

Return to “Software & Applications”