Any news on Linux Mint 12 LXDE?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Any news on Linux Mint 12 LXDE?

Post by tdockery97 »

I must be one of the fortunate ones with a laptop that is very linux-compatible. I've run Mint 11 LXDE since the RC and have had none of the problems mentioned in the forums. I just hope I am as lucky with my next computer purchase.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
charliemoss

Post by charliemoss »

Operating systems are strange that way. One person can install on 10 computers and have problems with every machine. Someone else can install on 10 different machines and each will run flawlessly.

To open a program on startup, on the Mint Menu one simply right clicks on the item and clicks "launch on login". Now compare that with LXDE... certainly not something for the new user.

This is not the place to discuss the pros & cons of VARIETY but I am of the opposite opinion of Bob E, I find 'variety' a negative.

I find Linux Mint offers a higher level of stability by filtering updates, the little extras make it so much more user (especially new user) friendly. It will be a pity if it moves to Debian based as it will loose some usability. If I had any abilities I would join the Dev team, but sadly a life in tourism didn't offer many opportunities in that area of knowledge.

Any news on Kendall... is he still AWOL?
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I've been pretty lucky with Linux on my computers as well. My netbooks have not done so well with wireless until the 3.0 kernel, which has improved that issue.
I've been using Mint Debian Xfce on my computer recently, and I have to say I'm liking it. I still think LXDE would better better with Ubuntu base, but the way I'm using Debian it would still be pretty stable for me as a fixed, rather than rolling release (run the initial updates then only run security updates and other select updates) so I could probably be happy with it either way. Looking forward to seeing what will be done with Mint LXDE.
KBD47
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I still use LXDE, and because I don't require the latest eye candy or other premium feature sets (I think people used to call that bloatware), I am content to wait..

I only miss some reasonable features such as a menu editor (GUI based of course), but I can just as easily and just as quickly use a text editor to affect desktop changes, as long as I know where the correct directories are!

http://lxde.org/
--if there is some new feature that I like, I just get it from the main developers, but I can also use other programs, such as midnight commander should I prefer it to the default file manager being provided: I usually find the choice of default file managers used in most Linux distributions to be compromises between new and experienced users (ones who pay attention to the Linux FHS, and manage their files well.
--knowing where to put things, without needing an indexer program to help sort the data.

That is that old GIGO (garbage In garbage Out ) idea
  • If you are organized, a computer helps you stay that way and get more efficient
  • If you are not organized, a computer helps you get more completely messed up
charliemoss

Post by charliemoss »

DrHu wrote:I still use LXDE, and because I don't require the latest eye candy or other premium feature sets (I think people used to call that bloatware)
Totally agree. The best eye candy is a program launching a lightning speed.
DrHu wrote:I only miss some reasonable features such as a menu editor (GUI based of course)
Have you tried LXMED? http://lxmed.sourceforge.net/
dunaway

Post by dunaway »

Looking forward to Linux Mint 12 LXDE. I recently installed Linux Mint 11 LXDE on my 4 year old Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop and it has been great! Love it! I dabbled with Ubuntu a few years ago; recently gave Linux another shot and by sheer luck installed Linux Mint 11 LXDE on my laptop...so glad I did.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Installed Linux Mint Debian Gnome tonight and added LXDE desktop. LXDE looks good and so far is working good in Mint Debian. I think whether we get Ubuntu based or Debian based LXDE is going to be nice.
KBD47
charliemoss

Post by charliemoss »

Is there still no information? It would be good to know if and when the LXDE version is coming out or at the very least if an Ubuntu 11.10 version or Debian version is planned. Who is the project leader?
charliemoss

Post by charliemoss »

So there seems to no information still. Does anyone know how to replace the LXDE of Lubuntu with the Linux Mint LXDE desktop.
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Garvan »

charliemoss wrote:So there seems to no information still. Does anyone know how to replace the LXDE of Lubuntu with the Linux Mint LXDE desktop.
To keep up to date, have a read of the mint blog.
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1908

On 06 Dec 2011 there was a post....
Work on the KDE and LXDE editions started. The Linux Mint staff was increased to 3 full-time members this December in an effort to bring alternative desktop choices to users in a timely manner.
Further down in the comments I read that KDE RC will be in December and the final version in January. Looking at the past work, I guess we can expect LXDE about 2 months after that.

Garvan
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
jaqian

Post by jaqian »

The main issue for LXDE for me is auto-login does not work. We have a shared family pc just used for surfing and have no need to lock it, would love to be able to turn it off. Have spent hours trying to do so following different forums posts but no joy.
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Garvan »

jaqian wrote:The main issue for LXDE for me is auto-login does not work. We have a shared family pc just used for surfing and have no need to lock it, would love to be able to turn it off. Have spent hours trying to do so following different forums posts but no joy.
My LXDE netbook is set to auto login, so what is the issue? There is a special utility called Login Screen under System Tools to allow you to set this option.

Garvan
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
charliemoss

Post by charliemoss »

Also not a problem here. LOGIN SCREEN and also USER AND GROUPS / PASSWORD / CHANGE / Don't Ask for password......
Ikem

Post by Ikem »

Bob E wrote:LM LXDE 11 [has] a bunch of bugs, and one really annoying issue that can't be resolved
Which one?
Last edited by Ikem on Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

I gave LM LXDE 10 and 11 a try and was disappointed. Especially with 11. It's the most screaming fast LXDE I've tried, but there are a bunch of bugs, and one really annoying issue that can't be resolved in LM 11 LXDE that doesn't exist in the Lubuntu distros. I'm looking forward to trying LM LXDE 12, but until then, I'm sticking with Lubuntu for my pick as best LXDE.
I have used both Lubuntu 11.10 and the Mint LXDE's, and came to the opposite conclusion. I had at least 6 issues with Lubuntu that do not exist in Mint:
(1) The format of the Lubuntu Synaptic search tool made searches about 4 to 8 times longer than the format in Mint takes;
(2) Too often my screen wallpaper did not launch at boot, just leaving a solid black screen to work on. Yes, the wallpaper control was put in start-up, just like in Mint, where it always works;
(3) Same thing for the script that sets up extended dual monitors - always works in Mint, too often not in Lubuntu;
(4) There appears to be no screen brightness control for Lubuntu; not in Lubuntu power manager tool;
(5) No Sunjava6 for Lubuntu (probably soon to be a problem in Mint, also);
(6) Had difficulties with sound - can't remember if I ever got Gnome-volume-control, the best tool for LXDE sound, installed or not.
Bob E, now I'd also like to hear what your issues with Mint were.
baptiste

Post by baptiste »

I had many (i.e. more than one) issues with mint 11 lxde rc, small quirks and pain with sound breaking, lots of dealing with trying to enable pulseaudio and/or switch to OSS.

my first try with linux mint was mint 9 lxde edition on a laptop, which was blazing fast and somewhat better looking. I did install lubuntu on another, more "work" oriented machine (you know, with the blue look) ; I also did many lxde installations, from a blank text-only ubuntu or debian.
LXDE is amazing, I put ubuntu 10.10 on an absolute piece of garbage with 96MB ram and it could run multimedia players, card games and abiword. I gave it to an asbolute beginner who doesn't have an internet connection at home.

now mint 12 is here and kind of game changing. it gives a usable gnome 3 (i.e. updated) dekstop for computers with enough memory and 3D graphics, I have started spreading it out and it's about to replace ubuntu 11.04 on my main computer.
we vitally need a mint 12 ldxe to go along with it, for machines with 256MB and the like.
should I add VMs where the low footprint and 2D compatibility is needed. I tried standard mint 12 in virtualbox and it was a train wreck.

the beauty of lxde is you can install the same OS as on a powerful computer, no need to install specific or old distros.
ideally you'd get to choose software selection at install time, i.e. choose abiword/gnumeric for computers that would serve as door stops, or libre office for better ones.
Last edited by baptiste on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
baptiste

Post by baptiste »

charliemoss wrote:The changes to Lubuntu 12.04 should interesting. Sadly I don't see them addressing, IMHO, the main failings of LXDE.... Startup management, simple shortcut creation, etc.
you may edit lxsession's configuration file, it's extremely simple - only a list of programs that load.
for instance I deleted the line that says "pcmanfm" and entered "nautilus" instead so here is it, I changed the default file manager while keeping the desktop and with very minimal work.
likewise you can auto-login with lxdm by changing a single line (I don't remember if mint uses gdm or lxdm though)

this is not a solution for users who expect it from the menus but is simple if you know about it.
not being able to create shortcuts is the biggest issue, if I could create a section in the start menu with shortcuts to games (ran thourgh wine or dosbox) I could at last get back to the usability I had with windows XP many years ago.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

not being able to create shortcuts is the biggest issue,
Maybe I do not understand your problem, because it is easy in LXDE to create shortcuts of all types for single or bunches of applications, internet sites, computer directories and/or Wine applications: http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning.html#11
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Any news anywhere about when we might see Mint 12 LXDE?
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

Firts of all - I'm not really in a hurry - things will come when they come and they will probably not disappoint me in any way... So this is not a request for anyone to speed things up.
(Feel I have to say that since I've seen enough rants and impatient nagging about version "x" taking time...)

Anyway - As to the request for a Mint 12 LXDE:

Now that I've been a decently satisfied user of LXDE on top of an LMDE (XFCE-version) install on my netbook for a couple of months I have to say that I rather see someone working on a mintified LMDE-variant of LXDE than an Ubuntu based one.

When/if that happens? Dunno, but I would be one of the first in the line to install it...

Return to “Software & Applications”