Cinnamon 1.2 released

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Cinnamon 1.2 released

Post by Oscar799 »

Cinnamon 1.2 is out
More information here:-
http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=119

Bugs/Issues to be reported here please https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Cinnamon 1.2 released

Post by kmb42vt »

Oscar799 wrote:Cinnamon 1.2 is out
More information here:-
http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=119
I’ve updated to Cinnamon 1.2 and so far it’s looking great but I have found one rather obvious bug with the Menu. I can’t add certain applications to “Favorites” from within the menu any longer nor by adding these apps via the “dconf-editor” (Org/Cinnamon) like I used to. In fact, certain ones that I had already added to “Favorites” disappeared after updating to 1.2.

Since I’ve already submitted the above as a bug report I'll save repeating the details an all that. You can find the bug report here: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/191.

Cinnamon is looking better and better with every update. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Graes

Post by Graes »

love it so far :mrgreen:

top panel :mrgreen:

as a new linux user, there will be problems for me when the kde version will be released, because both kde and cinnamon looks great and i don't know which one to choose yet :D
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Graes wrote:love it so far :mrgreen:

as a new linux user, there will be problems for me when the kde version will be released, because both kde and cinnamon looks great and i don't know which one to choose yet :D
How big is your hard drive? Dual boot...use both. This won't necessarily solve your problem of choosing between the two, in fact...it might makes things harder actually. I often quad boot 3 distros plus Windows 7 and I'm terribly confused. :mrgreen:

And yes, I'm kidding. I do recommend dual booting both if your hard drive has the room. Then you'll get the benefits of an actual install rather than running one distro in a VM using VirtualBox for example.

Or did you already know this? :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Graes

Post by Graes »

kmb42vt wrote:
Graes wrote:love it so far :mrgreen:

How big is your hard drive? Dual boot...use both. This won't necessarily solve your problem of choosing between the two, in fact...it might makes things harder actually. I often quad boot 3 distros plus Windows 7 and I'm terribly confused. :mrgreen:

And yes, I'm kidding. I do recommend dual booting both if your hard drive has the room. Then you'll get the benefits of an actual install rather than running one distro in a VM using VirtualBox for example.

Or did you already know this? :D
nope, i don't know nothing about virtualbox and other stuff :)

i have a 1tb hd, and since i had it, i never went past like 200-250gb on it, so it's like always empty :D

i'm only on mint right now. was thinking to format and dual boot win7 (only because i miss games... so for games only) and mint kde when it will be released... but this cinnamon 1.2 with desktop effects and top panel starts to look very good :D

and btw i'm speaking only for eye-candy! i'm too noob to know any major difference between gnome and kde (for "normal" desktop use: internet, music, video, torrent, etc)

i don't see any use atm in having 2 linux distros :?
jamesmania88

Post by jamesmania88 »

I just have a general statment, maybe questions as well. How come we can't download linux mint and just install the KDE enviroment? I did that so I run unity on my linux mint and then I switched back to cinnamon 1.2.
neomagician

Post by neomagician »

@jamesmania88

Just Download from synaptic like I did.

***Update***

Theme issue apparently. Bummer. old cinn themes need updating.

Meanwhile
My bug is that the menu is about a font size 4 or so and the icons are smaller than on the taskbar, what the hell?

How do I fix this?
02.jpg
Last edited by neomagician on Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
neomagician

Post by neomagician »

oh p.s. outside of that...

the speed,... the pure raw speed, how u do dat?

Less memory useage that xfce? really??? Memory usage before upgrade was 130+mb, now its 51mb of ram fully loaded while running a load of stuff!

Nautilus loads in a blink? Even with effects on but no ATI driver loaded??? memory on Naut went from 50 - 60mb+ down to ... wait for it.... 12... let me repeat that... 12...

You guys cut the ram usage by less then half...??? whu...

How u DO DAT????

(sorry, I'm in New Orleans, it's how we speak)

Anyone not using cinnamon has lost their minds! This is how linux should be! Congrats! You've done it!
Graes

Post by Graes »

neomagician wrote:@jamesmania88

Just Download from synaptic like I did.

***Update***

Theme issue apparently. Bummer. old cinn themes need updating.

Meanwhile
My bug is that the menu is about a font size 4 or so and the icons are smaller than on the taskbar, what the hell?

How do I fix this?
02.jpg
maybe this can help?

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 28#p530806
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

I've just upgraded to Cinnamon 1.2 and, among the good things, I've got issues with some features:

- first and foremost: what are the plans for the overview mode? at the present moment Themes have gone, which is good and something I advocated some time ago, but the workspace view seems to have gone too, and this is not a good thing because if you have only one or two windows in the current workspace the overview will let you see ... exactly that! In other words, it's not very useful at all, especially if you consider that you have open windows tabs in the panel. Assuming this is not a problem on my install, the workspace preview should come back, and perhaps a default option to watch all windows currently open;

- speaking of workspaces, the "dynamic workspace" feature is more and more annoying to me (I know people love it though), is there a way to switch it off? I tried to set a fixed amount of workspaces using gconf, but no way to do it it seems ...;

- I've readily taken advantage of the "upper panel" flip option, but this of course means invoking the overview mode by mistake 90% of the times that you want to use the menu: I'm going to disable it for now (see above, what's the use at the moment?) but hopefully a better shortcut to it will be available in the future;

- Cinnamon themes: reverted to the default theme to avoid the small char problem until the fixed themes will be available;

- theme handling is another area needing quite a lot of planning and work, having to juggle between 3-4 different programs to set my desktop appearance is such a regression compared to GNOME 2.x that Clem would do an enormous favor to mankind in expanding the Themes section of the Cinnamon settings to cover GTK+ and window decoration themes.

Keep up the good work! :)

Rehdon
taselba

Post by taselba »

Theme issue was a minor disappointment, but given the state of development it is understandable. BUT, how come my nifty custom panel launchers all went away? Is that a theme issue as well, or is there a new way I have to recreate them?
Morrog

Post by Morrog »

i'm curious if there will be a Compiz Grid-like feature in Cinnamon/Muffin as well, or something similar to what Openbox can do.
i love me some tiling with shortcuts. the alleged reduced memory footprint sounds like a blast too. following cinnamon with great expectations here...
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Rehdon wrote:- theme handling is another area needing quite a lot of planning and work, having to juggle between 3-4 different programs to set my desktop appearance is such a regression compared to GNOME 2.x that Clem would do an enormous favor to mankind in expanding the Themes section of the Cinnamon settings to cover GTK+ and window decoration themes.
Yup. Right now, using Cinnamon, you change window theme in dconf Editor (or gconf, can't remember), gtk+ theme in Advanced Settings and Cinnamon theme in Cinnamon settings. Merging Advanced setting with Cinnamon settings or just expanding Cinnamon settings has no doubt crossed the minds of the devs but maybe it should be added to github as a feature request in case it hasn't.
psych1610

Post by psych1610 »

Rehdon, I've come here to voice most of the same thoughts that you have. Even though I didn't use the work space manager that much in the overview I still made use of it occasionally. I believe some great things can be done with it if it were to be utilized effectively. Having it just show open windows on the same work space I'm on which I can see are open on the bottom panel doesn't use that space efficiently.

I just saw what you meant regarding the dynamic works space feature and I'm also not a fan. If there's nothing on the work space it should not be visible, but still available. I have a feeling this feature will come (or one that allows us to accomplish something similar) as Cinnamon continues to evolve and we gain more features related to Compiz.

About the hot corner for the overview: If I recall it was bound to the Windows key in Gnome Shell. I would be in favor of the option to disable the hot corner and assign the overview a key binding in future releases. It seems like this would solve the issue of accidentally invoking the overview by moving the mouse too far to the top left. Again, in CCSM something like this would have been possible and I'm looking forward to something like this in the future as Cinnamon develops.

To begin with though, it looks like issue 156 on GitHub would solve your problem of the hot corner being in the same position as the menu.

Regarding the broken themes: The Minty theme is fixed both from the PPA and from DeviantArt. I'm not certain if any of the others are yet. Theming certainly does need a lot of work. It's very confusing that one would need to work with three separate areas to get a consistent look across the system. Cinnamon Settings is certainly on the right track to alleviate this, I think, but everything should be included in there from icons, to mouse cursors, to gtk theme and window borders, as well as Cinnamon themes as it is now. I imagine in future releases of Linux Mint, Cinnamon, rather than Gnome Shell, will be the default so Cinnamon Settings would be able to handle everything since Gnome Tweak Tool won't really need to be included. We're just getting applications that seem to duplicate each other because we're at the bleeding edge and adopted Cinnamon on top of having Gnome Shell.

Overall great job: The menu improvements are definitely visible and appreciated.

*Edit* I went ahead and opened an issue on GitHub for the theming problems, as suggested. That's here: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/215
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

psych1610 wrote:About the hot corner for the overview: If I recall it was bound to the Windows key in Gnome Shell. I would be in favor of the option to disable the hot corner and assign the overview a key binding in future releases. It seems like this would solve the issue of accidentally invoking the overview by moving the mouse too far to the top left. Again, in CCSM something like this would have been possible and I'm looking forward to something like this in the future as Cinnamon develops.
CTRL+ALT+UP opens the overview. The windows key is in Cinnamon reserved for the menu and I'd hate to see that change as the menu thus doubles as a semantic application launcher (e.g. "windowskey+f+i+r+enter" opens Firefox) the exact same way it works in Windows 7/OS X/Unity/Gnome Shell.
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

psych1610 wrote:To begin with though, it looks like issue 156 on GitHub would solve your problem of the hot corner being in the same position as the menu.
Thank you for pointing me to that issue. Unfortunately I didn't have much time to do some research and open/comment issues where needed, I just voiced my first impressions after using Cinnamon 1.2 for a couple of hours.
psych1610 wrote:*Edit* I went ahead and opened an issue on GitHub for the theming problems, as suggested. That's here: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/215
Thanks a lot :) I see Clem's reaction is very positive, so let's see how it turns out.

One last thought: my 1.2 menu is half in English, half in my language, what about localisation? are there .po files to translate?

Rehdon
psych1610

Post by psych1610 »

bimsebasse wrote:
psych1610 wrote:About the hot corner for the overview: If I recall it was bound to the Windows key in Gnome Shell. I would be in favor of the option to disable the hot corner and assign the overview a key binding in future releases. It seems like this would solve the issue of accidentally invoking the overview by moving the mouse too far to the top left. Again, in CCSM something like this would have been possible and I'm looking forward to something like this in the future as Cinnamon develops.
CTRL+ALT+UP opens the overview. The windows key is in Cinnamon reserved for the menu and I'd hate to see that change as the menu thus doubles as a semantic application launcher (e.g. "windowskey+f+i+r+enter" opens Firefox) the exact same way it works in Windows 7/OS X/Unity/Gnome Shell.
Thanks! I didn't know about this. I agree with you, the Windows key is much better suited to activate the menu, I was just pointing out that it did have a key binding in the past and that it could again. Actually, things just keep getting better. After reading what you said I decided to disable the options for the overview in Cinnamon settings and the key binding still works!

Rehdon, this could solve your problems for now until issue 156 is worked out, I think. Disable the hot corner completely to get to the overview and you can still use the key binding to bring it up should you need to, though I know you expressed that it wasn't all too useful to you as it is in its current state.
Rehdon wrote:
psych1610 wrote:To begin with though, it looks like issue 156 on GitHub would solve your problem of the hot corner being in the same position as the menu.
Thank you for pointing me to that issue. Unfortunately I didn't have much time to do some research and open/comment issues where needed, I just voiced my first impressions after using Cinnamon 1.2 for a couple of hours.
psych1610 wrote:*Edit* I went ahead and opened an issue on GitHub for the theming problems, as suggested. That's here: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/215
Thanks a lot :) I see Clem's reaction is very positive, so let's see how it turns out.

One last thought: my 1.2 menu is half in English, half in my language, what about localisation? are there .po files to translate?

Rehdon
No problem! His reaction did seem positive to the theming. Hopefully it gets some work done on it and can be ready for the next major release. Regarding the translations, I recall him saying somewhere that in 1.1.3 there was no translation work being done since things were changing so rapidly, but once they settled down there would be. Unfortunately I can't find that now. I also think I read that translations would be done on launchpad.
jamesmania88

Post by jamesmania88 »

how do I unlock the themes folders to install these themes?
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

right click on the themes folder (usr/share/themes) and choose "open as administrator".

Tip: after the above, press F3 to get an extra pane, navigate to your download folder in the new pane, move folders easily from download pane to themes pane.
jamesmania88

Post by jamesmania88 »

thanks you jsut saved me from having to run out and log in as root and then log back in to my account again. any new themes I should try?

Return to “Cinnamon”