Installation hangs... solved

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cariboo1938

Installation hangs... solved

Post by Cariboo1938 »

Hello Mint Community...I'm having a problem...
I'm running Ubuntu 7.10-amd64 on my computer and I wanted to install LinuxMint4.0 for compare and test purposes. I downloaded the .iso file from the Internet and burnt the image to a Live CD.
The installation, on a so far unused partition on my hard drive, started well and close to the end it hung at the "Detecting the Hardware" step.
I had to use the "Reset" button to get out of the dead lock.
This is the Hardware I use:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64,
RAM: Samsung-184 1GB;
MB: GigaByte GA-K8NS Ultra-939;
HDD: Maxtor 120+80 GB SATA;
GPU: MSI nVidia GeForce FX5200 AGP8X;
MON: LG Flatron T710BH;
PS: Enermax 375W
Is the processor AMD64 the problem???
Greetings
Cariboo
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Installation hangs...

Post by Husse »

If you've come that far I don't think there's a problem with the hardware (if it's not broken)
375 W PSU is a bit thin though...
Did you check the md5sum of the ISO and burn slowly. It could be a faulty CD even if you get that far
Cariboo

Post by Cariboo »

Husse wrote:If you've come that far I don't think there's a problem with the hardware (if it's not broken)
Did you check the md5sum of the ISO and burn slowly. It could be a faulty CD even if you get that far
Thanks Husse for the reply.
Yes, I checked md5sumand burnt with 8x. When I repeated the Installation, it worked perfectly. I don't know what went wrong the first time. Anyhow, I think this will be my working distro soon..... :D
Edit:
PROBLEM SOLVED......How can I mark the thread as [SOLVED] :?:

Post by Guest »

I had the same thing happen. It hung on the first attempt but succeeded on the second. I believe I also burned mine @ 8X. using k3b which checks MDSum automatically. BTW, I really like MINT.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Cariboo wrote:
Husse wrote:If you've come that far I don't think there's a problem with the hardware (if it's not broken)
Thanks Husse for the reply.
Yes, I checked md5sumand burnt with 8x. When I repeated the Installation, it worked perfectly. I don't know what went wrong the first time. Anyhow, I think this will be my working distro soon..... :D
Edit:
PROBLEM SOLVED......How can I mark the thread as [SOLVED] :?:
Edit your 1st post and change the subject.

Return to “Installation & Boot”