Linux Mint: Online Test Drive!

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
sagirfahmid3

Linux Mint: Online Test Drive!

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

So I wanted to check out what our good neighbor Ubuntu was up to...HOLY SNAP! Have they been busy! http://www.ubuntu.com/tour/en/#
It's so dang cool! If Mint's website had something like this, we'd be epic :shock: :shock: Just a suggestion that I hope you web-devs will consider.

So? What do you guys think? Should Mint have an online test-drive demo?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Linux Mint: Online Test Drive!

Post by xenopeek »

While that is an impressive HTML demo, it isn't much useful. I'd much rather have the (any) developers working on actual Linux Mint code.

Recording a good HD demo screencast of Linux Mint 12 Cinnamon should give people as much of an impression :D (With good I mean, it should be paced and show the highlights of some frequent ways to interact with the OS and default applications.
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

I know it's kind of basic (to us, maybe, we need our Conky and Docky to live :P ), but to other people that are new and have never heard of Linux, this looks pretty awesome considering that it's an OS you don't have to pay for. I know I heard somewhere that Microsoft was using Silverlight to do an online test drive demo of Windows 8 (?) and maybe with Linux you could use Moonlight instead to do something like that; just a few important stuff like the desktop, home, and "/"{root} folders, the MintMenu, a functional web browser, and a photo viewer. Just basically the same thing Ubuntu did, but Mint is going to appeal more to people who don't like Unity (like me for example), and also because it looks more familiar to Windows so users wont feel much like aliens in a new environment.

I was thinking of the web-developers to do this segment, while the software-devs of course will continue on the main Mint stuff.
(If there are any web-devs out there, can you please give an estimate of how long it would take to make a page like Ubuntu's test drive demo page? Thanks.)
nathanjh13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nathanjh13 »

I agree with the OP, after having a look at the Ubuntu one i think it would really strengthen this distro's appeal.

If I knew anything about web-developing I'd do it, but I'm out of that loop. Fingers crossed somebody picks this up and runs with it.
HughT

Post by HughT »

I agree with sagirfahmid3. Something similar would serve two purposes. First as a simple promotional tool for those un-familiar with any Linux/Gnu distribution - they'd be able to see that Mint is a very usable and comprehensive desk-top operating system. And secondly to show off the differences between Gnome/MATE, Cinnamon, KDE, LXDE and Xfce. The latter is frequently the subject of questions from newbies, who can't be expected to understand these terms.
If I can find the time, I'll see if I can prepare a slide show or video and post back here.
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

That would be awesome HughT. I myself am thinking of ways to promote Mint via slideshows and videos.(I'm a noob at web devvy stuff, but I'm learning).
Summer break is coming up in 3 days woohoo! I have all the time I need to do that and more.
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Cute but it seems more like a sales presentation as opposed to an educational tool. I suspect that many people will become confused and or frustrated when reality doesn't match the pitch. To be really useful it needs to present the prospective user with a general picture of the likely warts, bumps and differences that they may run into with the OS. Enjoy
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

You've got a point there. Maybe show a slide on the basic steps to installing programs on Linux then? Basic compilation commands, etc, and using synaptic to install programs.
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna make a slideshow all about Mint.
HughT

Post by HughT »

sagirfahmid3's original post was indeed about a promotional tool / tour, rather than an installation instruction. There's room for both. It's easy enough to take screenshots similar to those in the referenced Ubuntu example. I can't do it immediately because screenshots would need to be from a fresh install, and my install has been tinkered with. Also, I'd have to research how to create a web-based slideshow (I'm a user rather than a developer). But, for what it's worth the following would be useful to illustrate the features available:
Mint Menu - Favourites & All Applications
Thunderbird - e-mail
Shotwell - photo gallery
Software Centre
Libre Office - writer calc impress
Nautilus - file browser
Firefox - web browser
Eye of Gnome - image viewer
Update Manager
Firewall
Back-up Manager
Totem - movie player