BSD Mint

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
molom

BSD Mint

Post by molom »

Does anyone think there should be a BSD Mint just for people who want to have servers or have an OS that is radically stable and radically easy to use?

There is PC-BSD and Desktop BSD, but they both use KDE and aren't very nice looking. It would be nice for Mint to also enter this market to grab a hold of BSD users. You could eventually get them to like Mint so much they might try to use Linux just to see how Linux is compared to BSD.

Cheers,
molom
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Re: BSD Mint

Post by belovedmonster »

I don't know if Mint's core audience (people who want the most user friendly Linux distro) really care about Servers. Plus each time theres a new version of Mint I begin to wonder what people must think of us!
molom

Post by molom »

belovedmonster wrote:I don't know if Mint's core audience (people who want the most user friendly Linux distro) really care about Servers. Plus each time theres a new version of Mint I begin to wonder what people must think of us!
I don't know about the server bit. I've met some IT that wanted a server that was easy to set up. They tried Mandriva or something and they ended up using a Mac as a server instead. I think only very tech people would use a hardcore Linux server, why not make a server edition for the small businesses that want a server, its just a thought.

Who cares about what people think of us! We make good distros and if they don't like it, thats their problem. We are trying to suit needs and we're doing it well. The Linux Mint community is the friendliest and the best. How many ubuntu derivatives are there, why cant we make many derivatives for each DE or need. I am proud to be in the Linux Mint Community.

PS. I'm not arguing against you belovedmonster, I'm just sharing my Mint spirit :D
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

belovedmonster wrote:I don't know if Mint's core audience (people who want the most user friendly Linux distro) really care about Servers.
Server? Yes but BSD can also be used for the desktop and home user, not only for server!
FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD and DragonFlyBSD are interesting alternative to Linux even if not really 'newbies'. :wink:
molom wrote:There is PC-BSD and Desktop BSD, but they both use KDE and aren't very nice looking.
Not very nice? I'm not agree with you :lol:
And these are not the only possibilities. You have also FreeSBIE, MidnightBSD, OliveBSD, RoFreeSBIE or TrueBSD... :D
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
molom

Post by molom »

I just don't like the artwork that PCBSD & Desktop BSD offer, thats all. But BSD Mint could be a really nice project. I'm no developer, but someone can take the job if Clem says its alright to do such a project.

Cheers,
molom
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

I've actually been thinking about trying BSD out, just to see how it is, if I saw a Mint BSD, ohh, ohh ohh, haohohaohaohoahoah, ummmmmmmmm...........'scuse me :oops:
molom

Post by molom »

McLovin wrote:I've actually been thinking about trying BSD out, just to see how it is, if I saw a Mint BSD, ohh, ohh ohh, haohohaohaohoahoah, ummmmmmmmm...........'scuse me :oops:
PC BSD is the one that has been mostly updated recently and it has its own software portal like Mint, but the theme it uses as default it quite ugly. Desktop BSD looks more decent, but it isn't as updated as PC-BSD. A Mint BSD would be really nice, I would love someone to take this project, it would be a big thumbs up for BSD in marketing. I've read that BSD isn't as popular because they focus more on the stability and experience than the marketing. Linux focuses on both and that is why BSD is a lot more stable than Linux.

I think if someone uses the FreeBSD base and then installs all those codecs and then install the Mint Gnome UI and the Mint apps, it could go somewhere really quickly. I wish I could start one, but I'm have no experience in developing or programming.

How does this look? ;)

Cheers,
molom
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

OK that logo does look pretty sweet, I think if thats going to be the logo then we should definitely start on a Mint version :mrgreen:
molom

Post by molom »

belovedmonster wrote:OK that logo does look pretty sweet, I think if thats going to be the logo then we should definitely start on a Mint version :mrgreen:
You know anyone thats interested in starting BSD Mint
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Nope!
nero
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nero »

A re-do of BSD has already been-done. Look at TrueBSD. It is truly beautiful, fast, secure but won´t do wifi (for me) or it would be my distro of choice for my old Dell laptop.
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NoClue! »

Molom, your getting mintomaniacal. Whats next, vista mint? lol
molom

Post by molom »

NoClue! wrote:Molom, your getting mintomaniacal. Whats next, vista mint? lol
I don't think Vista is good enough to have a radically stable desktop or server, so... no, Vista Mint won't exist ;) .
Although I would love a Mint BSD, firstly I would use it. Imagine how many BSD people would use it instead of Desktop BSD, PC BSD, True BSD and every other user friendly BSD.

Cheers,
molom
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

If someone could help out with the coding and writing for this, I would be willing to hop in and get my hands dirty building a MintBSD, but I would need alot of help as I have never done OS development.
molom

Post by molom »

McLovin wrote:If someone could help out with the coding and writing for this, I would be willing to hop in and get my hands dirty building a MintBSD, but I would need alot of help as I have never done OS development.
I can't help you at all. I know nothing about doing such work. Maybe Boo or merlwiz could help you out.

Return to “Chat about Linux”