SD Card Reader won't work.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
freak0

SD Card Reader won't work.

Post by freak0 »

Hi, my new Ultrabook Acer Aspire S3 works fine with LMDE64, except the Realtek card reader.
http://www.linlap.com/wiki/acer+aspire+ ... 83d1bf5945

Nothing happening when i plug an SD card inside.

No new Entry in syslog.
lspci is useless (it's an internal usb2 sdcard reader).
lsusb said that is a realtek.

Some web information gave me the model "Acer Aspire S3 Ultrabook: 2-in-1 SD card reader PCB with Realtek RTS5179 USB Card Reader Controller" (http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/crac ... 841?seq=26)

I've found this but i don't know how to make it work : http://c-cpp.r3dcode.com/folders/linux- ... ng/rts5139

Did someone can help ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
doktornotor
Level 4
Level 4

Re: SD Card Reader won't work.

Post by doktornotor »

freak0 wrote: I've found this but i don't know how to make it work : http://c-cpp.r3dcode.com/folders/linux- ... ng/rts5139

Code: Select all

$ sudo modinfo rts5139 && uname -a
filename:       /lib/modules/3.2.0-1.dmz.6-liquorix-amd64/kernel/drivers/staging/rts5139/rts5139.ko
version:        v1.04
license:        GPL
description:    Realtek RTS5139/29 USB card reader driver
srcversion:     21459CB566C30418471E6A4
alias:          usb:v0BDAp0129d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
alias:          usb:v0BDAp0139d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
depends:        scsi_mod
staging:        Y
intree:         Y
vermagic:       3.2.0-1.dmz.6-liquorix-amd64 SMP preempt mod_unload modversions 
parm:           auto_delink_en:enable auto delink (int)
parm:           ss_en:enable selective suspend (int)
parm:           ss_delay:seconds to delay before entering selective suspend (int)
parm:           needs_remote_wakeup:ss state needs remote wakeup supported (int)
Linux joybook 3.2.0-1.dmz.6-liquorix-amd64 #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Mon Jan 23 18:43:37 CST 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux
You can get the kernel by adding the following to /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://liquorix.net/debian sid main future
and running

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 3EFF4F272FB2CD80
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-image-liquorix-amd64 linux-headers-liquorix-amd64
Alternatively, you can compile your own kernel with staging drivers and CONFIG_RTS5139 enabled. :P
petaramesh

Request rts5139 in standard Mint/Debian kernel

Post by petaramesh »

Up !

Toshiba Satellite L735 also has a card-reader that uses the rts5139 module. So it looks like this module is becoming commonly needed.

Ubuntu Oneiric and Precise default kernels include this module, so that's great, and Ubuntu based Mint 12 as well.

Installing the Liquorix kernel as shown above solved my problem in Mint/Debian, but I would request this module be included in standard Mint/Debian kernel.

TIA :)
halfnote5

Post by halfnote5 »

Try this:

Insert the SD card (or any SD card) before booting the machine.

The SD card - and any you choose to insert afterwards should work. This isn't a solution, so much as a workaround.

I was trying to figure it out myself, but left it alone when I found a "good enough" alternative. :oops: I'm going to have to try Liquorix.
petaramesh

Post by petaramesh »

Nope. This reader needs the rts5139 module. This module is not part of the default kernel that ships with LMDE. Period.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

halfnote5 wrote:Insert the SD card (or any SD card) before booting the machine.
That helped here; sd cards used to work fine, but they'd started not showing up after the first "eject" or "unmount".
(thunar has 'unmount' and 'eject' and pcmanfm just has 'eject') Going to try 'sync' then just pulling the card w/o 'eject', etc.

I had similar problems with Arch; it still acts very strangely with both pcmanfm and thunar (bogus error msgs, infinity spinning timer, lists files on previous SD card after it's removed or sometimes with new card inserted, etc), but they always show up and eventually work on Arch, using an entry in fstab - which doesn't work in Mint.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
petaramesh

Post by petaramesh »

It's worth noting that the 3.5 kernel that comes with Ubuntu 12.10 and Mint 14 Nadia solves all problems this card reader had in previous versions. Alas LMDE still uses a much older 3.2 Debian kernel...
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

I compiled the 3.7.1 kernel with RTS5179 enabled and nothing changed.

What I did figure out is: if I run "sync" from a term before pulling the card, but NEVER "eject" or "unmount" the SD card, everything works fine: I can reinsert the card, it appears auto-magically and it works, rather than disappearing until next reboot after using "eject" or "unmount".
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “LMDE Archive”