Any plans for Compiz?

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
leafbrowser

Any plans for Compiz?

Post by leafbrowser »

I was excited to learn about the Cinnamon desktop, and upon installing it I loved it. But then I found it doesn't work with Compiz. As someone who relies on using the cube several times an hour thisis a deal-breaker for me. Are there any plans to support Compiz?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Any plans for Compiz?

Post by xenopeek »

I'm not sure about Compiz plans, but Compiz-like effects are being added to Cinnamon. First effects have been added in the recent 1.2 release (http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=119). There is also note of Expo and Scale plugins being worked on (https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/i ... nt-3597278).
woodsmoke

Post by woodsmoke »

Hi leafbrowser.

Just as a matter of small interest for myself, since I used to use the cube also many times an hour, but have, of late, gone to Kubuntu with the widget, but....

would you mind, in a general way, describe how you use the Cube to increase, I assume, "productivity"?

The reason being that a lot of folks just consider it to be "eye candy" and a "resource hog" and it might "enlighten" (pun intended :) ) them.

woodsmoke
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

leafbrowser wrote:I was excited to learn about the Cinnamon desktop, and upon installing it I loved it. But then I found it doesn't work with Compiz. As someone who relies on using the cube several times an hour thisis a deal-breaker for me. Are there any plans to support Compiz?

Have you checked out the cairo dock session with effects? Compiz screams on that. :D
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Garvan »

z06gal wrote:
leafbrowser wrote:I was excited to learn about the Cinnamon desktop, and upon installing it I loved it. But then I found it doesn't work with Compiz. As someone who relies on using the cube several times an hour thisis a deal-breaker for me. Are there any plans to support Compiz?

Have you checked out the cairo dock session with effects? Compiz screams on that. :D
I am curious about the "cairo dock", because I like using conky and I think it is supported. Does it work with Mint 12 (Gnome 3 and MGSE), does it require MATE or does it use Gnome Classic fall-back? Or is it a completely separate animal? I tried looking up the cairo site, but did not get a simple answer.

Thanks

Garvan
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Garvan wrote:
z06gal wrote:

I am curious about the "cairo dock", because I like using conky and I think it is supported. Does it work with Mint 12 (Gnome 3 and MGSE), does it require MATE or does it use Gnome Classic fall-back? Or is it a completely separate animal? I tried looking up the cairo site, but did not get a simple answer.

Thanks

Garvan

It works with everything and the latest dock is the best yet in my opinion. Check it out. There are so many more themes available now. :wink:
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Cairo creates its own session you log into same way you log into MATE or Gnome Classic.

Compiz does not work with Gnome Shell/Cinnamon and in doesn't look like that will change in the foreseeable future. Guess Gnome devs also quickly get tired of useless eye candy like wobbly windows and desktop cubes :)
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Garvan »

Thanks z06gal & bimsebasse.
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
drcasper

Post by drcasper »

bimsebasse wrote: Compiz does not work with Gnome Shell/Cinnamon and in doesn't look like that will change in the foreseeable future. Guess Gnome devs also quickly get tired of useless eye candy like wobbly windows and desktop cubes :)
But, but... what about Emerlad and blur and the most important of them all the burning windows effect :D
boda

Post by boda »

Hi,
I have irlen syndrome. I've recently discovered 'color filter', a compiz pluging that enables me to apply a green tint to the screen output. This makes it easier for me to read, along with the prescriped tinted glasses. Are there any plans to include this type of facility in cinnamon. Irlen Syndrome effects a significant proportion of the population, but isn't widely known about. Compiz isn't all about desktop effects.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

boda, there is a tutorial on activating Compiz in Linux Mint 13 MATE: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/919

Compiz won't work on Cinnamon. Though you may be able to use Menu > Preferences > Color to calibrate the monitor so as to have more of a green tint. Not sure about that, or if it would help with your impairment.
boda

Post by boda »

Hi,
Yes I'm aware that it is possible to install a different gui. I'm running xfce on mint 12 at the moment. Setting this up (installing xfce, instaling compiz and configuring it to work with my system, then finding and configuring the fragment program code) was very stressfull for me beacause of the extra effort required to keep text stable when reading. I'm suggesting that a color filter facility should be provided working, in the main distribution. This would remove the barrier to people who do not have typical visual perception, such as colour blindness, irlen syndrome and sleeplesness caused by staring at bright screen. And for people who need their night vision unimpaired. Compiz color filter doesn't just add a coloured tint to the screen. With the fragment program it is possible to replace one colour with another. I hope to do this when I have time to learn the program, or some money to pay someone to do it for me.

I really appreciate all the work that has gone into Linux Mint. I hope to contribute in the near future with time and money.

thanks.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”