HOW TO: Change Login-Background For GDM & GDM3

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Andrew33

HOW TO: Change Login-Background For GDM & GDM3

Post by Andrew33 »

Hello All:

For those of you who would want to be able to change the login background, and are running LMDE Sid+MATE.....here ya go;

1.) Go into; /usr/share/gdm/greeter-settings

2.) Then click on xy_desktop-base.gschema.override.....this will give you the path where the login backgrounds are kept.

3.) That would be: /usr/share/images/desktop-base/login-background.png or .svg whichever the case may be.
You can change this by openning the above folder by "Open as Administrator" on the drop down through right clicking on the folder.
You'll also have to copy & paste any replacement pics in said folder as "Administrator", this gives you superuser privilages.

4.) While inside desktop-base folder and changing things around, make sure you rename your new pic "login-background.png" and renaming the old background first before the new one. After that, just close everything, reboot and whala, your new login background.

GDM3

Standard LMDE without running experimental or sid or testing, etc. .....just plain LMDE Stable, your backgrounds are in: /user/share/backgrounds/linuxmint-debian. There are 4 folders in backgrounds, but the folder you want to do the switching in, is linuxmint-debian. The instruction for changing the pic is the same as above, using "Open as Administrator" while right clicking linuxmint-debian folder....you have to have administrative permissions to do the changing

GDM

GDM is similar to GDM3 & the backgrounds are held in the same folder....instructions are the same.....the most important issue here is, please be very careful while doing this and always be aware of what you're doing with no distractions.....I hope this helps anyone who wants to adventure into tweaking their LinuxMint system.....cheers

Andrew
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Brian49

Re: HOW TO: Change Login-Background For GDM & GDM3

Post by Brian49 »

Many thanks for this.

Please be aware that legacy GDM comes with a built-in GUI setup dialog, gdmsetup, with many tweaking options. This is the main reason I use this version rather than GDM3.
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

No worries, this is my contribution to the forums for all the help they've given me.....keep up the great work guys....cheers

Andrew
swewong

Post by swewong »

hi guys,

i am a newbie in this. i accidentally deleted all those background files from the folder. Could anyone send me those files?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

swewong wrote:hi guys,

i am a newbie in this. i accidentally deleted all those background files from the folder. Could anyone send me those files?
Do you still have the DVD or USB from which you installed LMDE? Then just boot from that, and copy the files from there to your hard disk.

Return to “LMDE Archive”