Sound problems in Mint LMDE, Debian, PCLinuxOS

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
SixString

Sound problems in Mint LMDE, Debian, PCLinuxOS

Post by SixString »

I just built a new system with a Gigabyte GA-A75M-UD2H FM1 motherboard and an AMD A8-3870 CPU. The board has onboard Intel HDA audio. Trying to get sound to work has been a nightmare. In each case below, I Googled to death, tried umpteen suggestions (make sure Alsamixer or volume control isn't muted, changing configuration files, uninstall/install Pulseaudio, etc.). Nothing has really worked.

1) Mint LMDE (kernel 2.6 and 3.0): Sound worked through the analog out plugs but was very crackly and broken. No sound through HDMI. After an update to kernel 3.0, sound worked fine through the analog ports, but still nothing through HDMI. Also, no sound at all on Flash videos (i.e., YouTube) in the browsers, though it does play WAV files and MP3s. After several days of Googling Flash issues, I gave up.

2) Debian 6.0.3 (kernel 2.6): No sound anywhere. On the media player, the speaker icon is even grayed out, though the files (MP3 or MPEG video) are playing.

3) PCLinuxOS (kernel 2.6): Like LMDE under kernel 2.6, no sound via HDMI and when playing MP3s through the analog outs, I get crackling, broken sound. No sound at all with my browser playing WAVs or Flash.

At this point, I don't even care which distro I end up: just give me sound! Can anyone please help? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Sound problems in Mint LMDE, Debian, PCLinuxOS

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator
SixString

Post by SixString »

As I said, I've googled to death and tried virtually everything I came across. Including that. Thanks, but it didn't help.
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

The informations you googled to death and your onboard is a Intel HDA audio which don't work with this or that kernel
are not helpful in order to find a solution. What do you get with:

Code: Select all

cat /proc/asound/cards

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 audio

lsmod | grep "snd" 

head -n 3 /proc/asound/card0/codec#0

head -n 3 /proc/asound/card0/codec97#0/ac97#0-0

aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

ps -C pulseaudio
?
eddie

Post by eddie »

Left click on the speaker icon,open up the MIxer control box.

Where it says 'Sound Card' drop down the menu,select'Playback:internal Audio Analog Stereo(Pulse Audio Mixer'

Click on select controls and select 'Master'. Then click on the little speaker icon at the bottom to unmute.

I have done 2 or 3 Mint LMDE installs and this has been needed evry time to enable sound.

eddie
XenonK

Post by XenonK »

Hi I would also like to announce that I am also encoutering a simmilar problem on my system and my Geforce 550Ti...

I have a custom made computer system, based on the Asus Z8PE-D18 and the problem I expereince is associated with an absence of audio to my Sony Bravia TV. I confirm both the GPU and the TV are running fine on an install of Windows 7 ultimate x64 without problems.

I wanted to move away from Windows so I can try to learn more about linux in a parcitcal manner, but this problem is limiting me as I require audio for the things I wish to do. So far, on both distros Debian and Mint I cant seem to figure out how to get the HDMI audio feed to work, strangley the video feed is fine.

Also odd is that the system can see there is a sound device, but the output seems to be non-existant. anyway will give the results of the console commands below:

adam@Z8PE-D18 ~ $ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                      HDA NVidia at 0xfbdfc000 irq 37
adam@Z8PE-D18 ~ $ lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 audio
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller [8086:3a3e]
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:82cb]
	Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
--
02:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation GF116 High Definition Audio Controller [10de:0bee] (rev a1)
	Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
	Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
adam@Z8PE-D18 ~ $ lsmod | grep "snd" 
snd_hda_codec_hdmi     32474  4 
snd_hda_intel          33773  2 
snd_hda_codec         127706  2 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel
snd_seq_midi           13324  0 
snd_hwdep              13668  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_rawmidi            30748  1 snd_seq_midi
snd_pcm                97188  3 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_seq_midi_event     14899  1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq                61896  2 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device         14540  3 snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
snd_timer              29990  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd                    78855  13 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_rawmidi,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_timer
soundcore              15091  1 snd
snd_page_alloc         18529  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
adam@Z8PE-D18 ~ $ head -n 3 /proc/asound/card0/codec#0
Codec: Nvidia GPU 15 HDMI/DP
Address: 0
AFG Function Id: 0x1 (unsol 0)
I also get an error when running this command:

adam@Z8PE-D18 ~ $     head -n 3 /proc/asound/card0/codec97#0/ac97#0-0
head: cannot open `/proc/asound/card0/codec97#0/ac97#0-0' for reading: No such file or directory
and finnaly:

adam@Z8PE-D18 ~ $ ps -C pulseaudio
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
 1949 ?        00:00:00 pulseaudio
I also ran alsamixer, and it shows all channel unmuted ... needless to say I need some advice.

I would be very happy to hear from anyone who may be able to help me solve this problem.
XenonK

Post by XenonK »

Anyone got a workaround or fix for this please?

Return to “LMDE Archive”