intel integrated graphics, can only boot in recovery

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
apgrnt

intel integrated graphics, can only boot in recovery

Post by apgrnt »

~ $ inxi -G
Graphics: Card: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller X.Org 1.10.4 driver vesa Resolution 1024x768@0.0hz
GLX Renderer Rasterizer GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.11
this is the output i get from inxi -G when i run in recovery mode.
My guess is that i can not boot normally because it is attempting to boot with the intel drivers. yes/no?
anyway the symptoms include a failure to boot unluss running in recovery mode. in recovery mode when my computer goes to sleep it will not wake up without full restart.
everything else at the moment seems to be working.
i'm running mint 12 KDE RC.

I've looked around but can't find a straight answer on this issue so hopefully someone has one. i'm willing to do some work to get mint running right.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mads

Re: intel integrated graphics, can only boot in recovery

Post by mads »

I had to disable KMS by adding i915.modeset=0 after quiet splash to make it boot.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The output at the top says Driver vesa so you're not using Intel drivers. Make sure there isn't any strange configuration in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. The file is supposed not to exist on clean Intel systems.

Also make sure xserver-xorg-video-intel is installed in software or package manager.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
apgrnt

Post by apgrnt »

adding i915.modeset=0 after quietspash during boot up did the trick; thanks. What do i have to edit though so i don't have to do it every time?

AlbertP are you saying that there should not be a xorg.conf file in my /etc/X11/ directory? There is a file there, looks like this:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "vesa"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

xserver-xorg-cideo-intel was installed so should my next step be to delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf?
mads

Post by mads »

apgrnt wrote:adding i915.modeset=0 after quietspash during boot up did the trick; thanks. What do i have to edit though so i don't have to do it every time?
Run 'gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub' and make it look like this:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i915.modeset=0"
Save the file. Run 'sudo update-grub'.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I don't think you really have to disable KMS. Your xorg.conf contains just garbage. I'd throw away the file.

Code: Select all

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
apgrnt

Post by apgrnt »

Thanks mads that did the trick.

deleted /etx/X11/xorg.conf

new inxi -G output

Graphics: Card: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
X.Org 1.10.4 drivers vesa,intel unloaded: fbdev Resolution 1024x768@0.0hz
GLX Renderer Rasterizer GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.11

confused does intel unloaded mean?

anyway the main problem i needed solved seems to be solved. Danke
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

No good , your GLX renderer show rasterizer ( software rendering )
the good output is something like this ( i copy from another forum member topic ):

Graphics: Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org 1.10.4 drivers intel unloaded: vesa,fbdev Resolution 1366x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.11 Direct Rendering Yes

point to this :
drivers intel unloaded: vesa
GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel

maybe you can try :

sudo apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-intel libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
maybe you need reboot.
apgrnt

Post by apgrnt »

don't want to sound like a snot, but does it make a difference that our outputs are slightly different. his being: ' drivers intel unloaded: vesa,fbdev '; mine being: ' vesa,intel unloaded: fbdev '.

I feel like the output is affected by order of input for somereason...
newb though, so just asking.
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

vesa : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA
fbdev : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_framebuffer
intel : intel open source drivers
mesa DRI : http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/

drivers intel unloaded: vesa,fbdev : intel drivers is in use , vesa and fbdev not in use

Edit : I don't know if desktop effect will have problem with software rasterizer in KDE , but if you are in Gnome you will not be able using gnome shell/cinnamon. Software rasterizer slower than Mesa DRI
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Software Rasterizer currently does not work with Cinnamon, but it will be able to run Gnome 3 based desktops without any problem in future Mints.

Make sure libgl1-mesa-dri is installed and reinstall it if necessary. We have already got Mesa 7.11 in the GLX Version so I guess Mesa itself is working, just not the Intel driver.

Vesa still keeps loading, perhaps we can work around that by putting this code in xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
Driver "intel"
EndSection
Or was it Section "Screen"? I don't remember which section exactly holds the Driver option.
plaer17

Post by plaer17 »

have Intel 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller
can run almost normally with it after installing xserver-xorg-video-intel and adding new .conf file in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "Samsung"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver      "intel"
		Option     "AccelMethod" "xaa"
	BoardName "82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)"
	BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Card0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     24
		Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
	Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Did you use sudo X -configure to write that file?
plaer17

Post by plaer17 »

no.
make it myself after long search on forums about problems with 865 intel graphic card
Stokestack

Post by Stokestack »

Very helpful thread.

I had a totally unusable system until I installed the Intel driver. The display still had some major defects (no main menu bar, no windows, other things). After adding "i915.modeset=0" to GRUB, the display looked OK.

But inxi showed that GLX was using the rasterizer. So I tried the reinstallation suggestion. No dice.
AlbertP wrote:Make sure libgl1-mesa-dri is installed and reinstall it if necessary. We have already got Mesa 7.11 in the GLX Version so I guess Mesa itself is working, just not the Intel driver.
I don't know where libgl1-mesa-dri is kept (not /usr/lib), but when I try to install it, it says I already have the newest version. So that's apparently not the problem.

I didn't have an xorg.conf file, only an xorg.conf directory, under /usr/share/X11. Under that directory, there's another called xorg.conf.d, where I created an xorg.conf file with the contents suggested by plaer17 above. I changed the name of the graphics device to match what's shown by lspci.

Now my system was hosed. When I booted, I got a text-based screen full of system checks and statuses, which then hung at "Checking battery state..." I booted into safe mode and renamed the .conf file (after finding out how to make the file system writable with mount -o remount,rw /).

I tried again, leaving only the Device section in the .conf file. Same result. So I got rid of the file entirely.

Now my system booted again. I decided to create a conf file with only the three lines suggested by AlbertP. This immediately hosed my display, which didn't show anything at all on boot. Back to safe mode. Deleted the .conf file.

SUMMARY: In this entire thread, the only thing that works is:
mads wrote: Run 'gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub' and make it look like this:
Save the file. Run 'sudo update-grub'.
So for now, it looks like we're stuck with Rasterizer.
kentavr55

Post by kentavr55 »

Hi, everybody!

I am new to Lisa 12 and I have Toshiba Satellite P500 with native 1680x945 resolution and integrated intel graphics.

To start with, when booting from live CD I have native resolution but no brightness could be controlled - it stays at maximum (even if I can see brightness control indicator appearing on the screen when pressing functional brightness control up and down keys however nothing changes).

After installing Lisa and starting from the hard drive I get only mouse pointer on the black screen that changes when depending on the place inside the screen (so I can see where I am prompted to put in my password). When switching to another concole (ctrl-alt-F3, for instance) I can see no promt as well (black screen). However when blindly typing "root" and password, I can invoke midnight commander and a thin line appears at the top of the screen like I am in a wrong screen resolution.

Then I booted in recovery mode. During the boot process I notice "failed to get i915 symbols, graphics turbo disabled" and get 1024x768 screen with the only other possible resolution to select from 800x600. Again I have maximum brightness and no brightness control (in this case no brightness indicator).

The output of my inxi -Gx command:

artem@artem-SATELLITE-P500 ~ $ inxi -Gx
Graphics: Card: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org 1.10.4 drivers vesa,intel unloaded: fbdev Resolution 1024x768@61.0hz
GLX Renderer Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x209) GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 8.0-devel (git-7ef94c6 oneiric-oibaf-ppa) Direct Rendering Yes

So, no intel driver. What could be doneto fix the resolution and brightness issue and to load in normal (not recovery) mode?

Thanks for your help.
Stokestack

Post by Stokestack »

Did you try the above-suggested change to the "quiet splash" line?
kentavr55

Post by kentavr55 »

Yes, I tried the following combinations:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i915.modeset=1"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"

No luck!

Here
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel
they discuss how to setup KMS (Kernel Mode Setting) for the whole boot process to be in the native resolution.
KMS is required in order to run X and a desktop environment such as GNOME, KDE, Xfce, LXDE, etc. KMS is supported by Intel chipsets that use the i915 DRM driver and is enabled by default as of kernel v2.6.32. Versions 2.10 and newer of the xf86-video-intel driver no longer support UMS, making the use of KMS mandatory[1]. KMS is typically initialized after the kernel is bootstrapped. It is possible, however, to enable KMS during bootstrap itself, allowing the entire boot process to run at the native resolution.
Note: When using KMS, you must remove any references to vga or video from the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst

To proceed, add the i915 module to the MODULES line in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf:

MODULES="i915"

Note: If you have a first generation Core i{3,5,7} series processor with an integrated GPU, failure to add i915 to the MODULES array in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf will likely cause the error kernel: intel ips [...]: failed to get i915 symbols, graphics turbo disabled.
Note: You may need to add the intel_agp module too if the system complains at boot time.

Now, regenerate the initramfs:

# mkinitcpio -p linux

and reboot the system. Everything should work now. If you are having problems, try explicitly enabling KMS by adding i915.modeset=1 to your kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst:

# (0) Arch Linux
title Arch Linux
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/... i915.modeset=1
initrd /boot/initramfs-linux.img

and make sure that you do not use the vga=... property nor nomodeset. Now, reboot and Xorg will work.

If you ever want to disable KMS, you can change the i915.modeset option to 0 in GRUB's /boot/grub/menu.lst, without rebuilding anything:

# (0) Arch Linux
title Arch Linux
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/... i915.modeset=0
initrd /boot/initramfs-linux.img

i915.modeset=0 is the Intel equivalent to nomodeset for other video cards.
Note: Adding nomodeset to the kernel boot line might prevent GNOME 3's gnome-shell or KDE's desktop effects from running.

For disabling it without having to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst, turn on the machine and when you see GRUB's screen, hit a key to disable the timeout. Select the kernel you want to boot (probably the one already selected) and hit e for "edit". Now select the line starting with "kernel" and hit e again for editing. You can now add the i915.modeset option and disable KMS by setting it to 0. Press Enter and then b to boot. Note that this will be temporary, so it will be enabled again upon rebooting.
Note: Downgrade to kernel 2.6.31.6-1 or disable modesetting with kernel boot parameter if you get a blank screen during boot process with the Intel GMA 950.
I DO have first generation Core i5 processor.
However I do not have any mkinitcpio on my system to built a new image. Moreover I consider it as a last option. I am really puzzled as I have been trying to solve the problem for several days already (like I have installed all the updates available as of today etc...). Everything else works just fine but this resolution and brightness issue! Any help? Why my intel driver would not load???
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

@kentavr55
Maybe you need purge ppa:oibaf and use ppa:glasen/intel-driver.

Or you can try : add this line to etc/default/grub
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi=force"
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

kentavr55 wrote:I DO have first generation Core i5 processor.
However I do not have any mkinitcpio on my system to built a new image. Moreover I consider it as a last option. I am really puzzled as I have been trying to solve the problem for several days already (like I have installed all the updates available as of today etc...). Everything else works just fine but this resolution and brightness issue! Any help? Why my intel driver would not load???
That was an Arch Linux tutorial, not a Mint one. On Mint you don't need to enable KMS, unless you once disabled it with things like nomodeset or i915.modeset=0.

By the way, please post the output of inxi -Gx if you want to be sure about the loaded driver.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”