Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Tejas_0

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Post by Tejas_0 »

Proving Lisa in Live Mode

Sound Trouble Update

There appear to be two problems which may or may not be inter-related:
  1. Loss of Sound on Cold Boot
    1. Yesterday when this happened did a warm start with the same result. No sound from VLC Player, M Player and Adobe Flash Plugin. Verified h/w connections by playing sound from another o/s, following which Lisa restarted with sound.
    2. Today on Cold Boot again no sound.
      1. Restart did not cure the problem,
      2. but suspecting an initialisation glitch, (Snapshots did not snap) booted another o/s which emitted the starting fanfare,
      3. restarted Lisa and got boot-up fanfare and sound back.
    3. Shut down PC came back later and booted Lisa. No boot fanfare. Restart gave same result. Regained sound by starting Katya (Just Katya live exhibited same symptoms, Katya live persistent did the trick!) to initialise whatever there was to do with the driver or the sound card, after which Lisa anoounced itself with the normal fanfare and ran with sound.
  2. VLC Player loses Sound after Long Pause in the Play of a Media File. Instance where M Player has sound. Presume other players OK.

Code: Select all

mint@mint ~ $ lsof | grep pcm
    pulseaudi 3581       mint  mem       CHR      116,3             16362 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
    pulseaudi 3581       mint   27u      CHR      116,3       0t0   16362 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
    vlc       4009       mint  mem       REG        7,1     13624   51915 /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/codec/liblpcm_plugin.so
    vlc       4009       mint  mem       REG        7,1     22164   52230 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
    vlc       4009       mint  mem       REG        7,1     13628   51929 /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/codec/libadpcm_plugin.so
    plugin-co 4576       mint  mem       REG        7,1     22164   52230 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
    M Player has Sound as Expected
    1. Code: Select all

mint@mint ~ $ kill 4576
      VLC Player appears to Terminate
      VLC Player appears to Terminate. VLC Player Restarted & Media Replayed with Sound, but after Pause/Play Sound went!

Media Replayed with Sound, but after Pause Sound went!
      pulseaudi 3581       mint  mem       CHR      116,3             16362 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
      pulseaudi 3581       mint   27u      CHR      116,3       0t0   16362 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
      vlc       4009       mint  mem       REG        7,1     13624   51915 /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/codec/liblpcm_plugin.so
      vlc       4009       mint  mem       REG        7,1     22164   52230 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
      vlc       4009       mint  mem       REG        7,1     13628   51929 /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/codec/libadpcm_plugin.so

2. VLC Player + Sound

mint@mint ~ $ kill 3581
      VLC Player + Sound
      Pause & Play Now has Sound

pulseaudi 4902       mint  mem       CHR      116,3             16362 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
      pulseaudi 4902       mint   27u      CHR      116,3       0t0   16362 /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
configX

Post by configX »

Working great for me on an Asus G73JW. The only issue I'm running into at the moment is my volume keys don't work. I see the volume level meter pop up but the actual sound is not affected. Anybody else running into this?

Edit: I think I figured it out. The default playback device was "GF106 High Definition Audio Controller Digital Stereo (HDMI)" so I changed it to "Internal Audio Analog Stereo." Can you tell I'm a noob with KDE?
jordanlang2

Post by jordanlang2 »

AWESOME! After using Ubuntu 11.10 and Gnome with it, i dual booted Windows 7 and Mint 12 and it is amazing! :D
rubel

Post by rubel »

I just love it :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Hugo Notte

Post by Hugo Notte »

As mentioned in an earlier post, I tried Mint 12 Gnome with MGSE and it didn't work for me. For a few weeks now I have been working on Ubuntu 11.10 and got used to the Unity desktop. Worked a lot better for me than Gnome 3 + extensions.

Today I installed Mint 12 KDE RC, what a treat! This is so much better than the Gnome edition and the Unity desktop! Very happy camper now and I am glad to be able to continue with Mint. :D

Thanks a lot for this KDE edition.
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

Gnome3 & MGSE are right. But I use MATE from about the release-date of Mint 12. It is perfect and lovely. Image

For me it is astonishing what Clem and crew are able to produce.
I have used, Mint 6 (Gnome), Mint 8 (Gnome), Mint 10 (Gnome), Mint 9 (Gnome, Xfce), Mint 11 (Lxde), LMDE and I use now Mint 12.
All versions were fine. Big applaus for consistency!! Image
(I almost don't dare to write, but maybe a fraction more nice, usable applications in the repo.) :oops:

Now still the last hurdle: UEFI en MS Secure Boot. :roll: It's a worry to me and to many.
winoseti
Level 2
Level 2

Post by winoseti »

compaq f503au 1.5gbram 533mhz amd turion 64 geforce61xx.(shared memory 64M).
Okay katya worked fine but on installing lisa amd64bit the video card just couldnt handle the memory requirements.
So flying blind and with the desktop getting more and more unstable I went back to basics.
I rebooted and went into bios. I got the latest bios already installed. there I increased the shared memory to 128M.
and held my breath as this used to send everything into a spin with Vista. and low and behold it worked. seems MATE needs 128M of swapped memory.
but occasionally the video card still karks and I have to reboot. so I had to change the size of the swap files ergo "swappiness" I reckoned that I had to change more often and with smaller files so i changed the standard vaue of 60 to 50.. now just very occasionally i get a freeze ..a pasta screen so my final solution will be a ram upgrade from the 533MHZ to 2gb of 667mhz ram. this should get me more memory performance667/533x2/1.5=166=66% more grunt.
This notebook is a vintage car project for me.

explained at this page
Ubuntu and several other Linux distributions have a default swappiness of 60. You can check your swap setting by reading a /proc/sys value:

$ cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
To temporarily modify your swappiness, simply edit this value:

$ sudo sysctl vm.swappiness=40
vm.swappiness = 40

This setting lasts until reboot or you change it again with another sysctl vm.swappiness invocation. To make this setting take effect on every reboot, edit your /etc/sysctl.conf configuration file.

$ gksudo gedit /etc/sysctl.conf

Find the vm.swappiness line; if none exists, add it.

vm.swappiness = 40
http://distilledb.com/blog/archives/dat ... linux.page :arrow:

but if your video card has onboard memory then you have look in your bios to see if you can share motherboard RAM memory.

if not then you will have to buy some video ram for your video card. :idea:

for swapped files i am also looking at upgrading to a newer hdd with a faster read/write :idea:

anyway it seems most of the problems are with videocards less than 128M vram.

:)
ewanqbl

Post by ewanqbl »

Hey there! I have a question regarding legal use of LinuxMint. I want to use as my default OS for a work laptop, and I do not want to give a dime on those pesky OEM Windows legal demands. Is is alright for me to use LinuxMint for business purposes? I mean, are there any legal disputes that might arise from using it to run my business? Is it for Open use with no legal bindings to it?!

Your OS looks like the most complete package when it comes to an OS and I really want to use. I will only use emails, spreadsheets(google docs) and a little browsing.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

ewanqbl wrote:Hey there! I have a question regarding legal use of LinuxMint. I want to use as my default OS for a work laptop, and I do not want to give a dime on those pesky OEM Windows legal demands. Is is alright for me to use LinuxMint for business purposes? I mean, are there any legal disputes that might arise from using it to run my business? Is it for Open use with no legal bindings to it?!

Your OS looks like the most complete package when it comes to an OS and I really want to use. I will only use emails, spreadsheets(google docs) and a little browsing.
There are no legal restrictions for using a Linux OS the way you stated above. Where restrictions come in are if you, for example, take the distro's code, as is, and sell it as "Uncle ewanqbl's OS" (claiming the work as your own).
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
JerryMurdock

Post by JerryMurdock »

I've been using Ubuntu since 2006 and the last usable release I have found was 10.04 LTS. Unity doesn't work for me - in many ways. So, I tried several other distros including Mint 11 and finally settling for a few weeks on OpenuSuse 12.1 - which still didn't "feel" right. After seeing some favorable reviews on "Lisa", I decided to give it a try & installed it yesterday. "Out of the box" it beats the last couple of Ubuntu releases, and since I have added Cinnamon and a few of my own favorites, it beats the sox off of any distro I have tried in the last two years.
I do have a few quibbles, but nothing really serious:
1. I would like a simple way to modify the "favorites" on the menu (Cinnamon). In particular, how do I remove something I DON'T want on favorites (for instance, I don't want to Lock the screen or Log Out)
2. I have never been able (in a Debian/Ubuntu based distro) to run Google Earth. It works fine in OpenSuse 12.1, but I don't need it badly enough to stay with OpenSuse.
3. (and this applies to every distro I've seen, so it doesn't really count) I would love to see the Epson/Avasys drivers for Epson Scanners set up for this distro & added to Synaptic.

Overall, I love Mint 12 & as soon as I can get it set up the way I want it, I will be removing my dual boot setup & reformatting my Ubuntu 10.04 partition.
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

JerryMurdoch wrote:
1. I would like a simple way to modify the "favorites" on the menu (Cinnamon). In particular, how do I remove something I DON'T want on favorites (for instance, I don't want to Lock the screen or Log Out)
In Gnome3 you can tick the infinity-sign left above, or the Windows-key and in the next screen right-click on
the favourite-list and 'remove' what you like. I did not try Cinnamon yet. So I don't know if it is the same.
2. I have never been able (in a Debian/Ubuntu based distro) to run Google Earth. It works fine in OpenSuse 12.1, but I don't need it badly enough to stay with OpenSuse.
Maybe this?>
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GoogleEarth
I don't use it, so I don't know, but there is a lot of info on the web.
I have no answer on the last question.
Good luck! :wink:
ewanqbl

Post by ewanqbl »

tdockery97 wrote:There are no legal restrictions for using a Linux OS the way you stated above. Where restrictions come in are if you, for example, take the distro's code, as is, and sell it as "Uncle ewanqbl's OS" (claiming the work as your own).

Thank you for your reply. I will never sell something that is for free. I will begin studying the forums on how to deploy the OS on my machine.

I'm becoming more and more excited by the moment.
dhoover429

Post by dhoover429 »

For the longest time I was devoted to Mint 9, but since about 2 weeks ago, I upgraded to 12 and Im not looking back. Love it!
Tejas_0

Post by Tejas_0 »

Proving Lisa in Live Mode

Sound Trouble Update

The remedies proposed in my last posting seem to have proved adequate in restoring sound:
  1. Cold Start
    Neither Katya Live nor Lisa Live on their own is capable of setting up the sound card on this computer. So:
    1. Start another o/s. In this case Kanotix or Katya Live Persistent to set up the sound card. Katya Live Persistent was set up from Kanotix, and so has stored the requisite sound card settings.
    2. Restart and boot Lisa Live (from iso)
    3. Resultant ALSA Mixer
  2. VLC Media Player
    Upon losing Sound during Payback of a Media File. (Usually after a long Pause) Either leave running or Pause (the playback)

lsof: WARNING: can't stat() tmpfs file system /cow
          Output information may be incomplete.
    vlc       5843       mint  mem       REG        7,1     13624   51915 /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/codec/liblpcm_plugin.so
    vlc       5843       mint  mem       REG        7,1     13628   51929 /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/codec/libadpcm_plugin.so

mint@mint ~ $ lsof | grep container
    lsof: WARNING: can't stat() tmpfs file system /cow
          Output information may be incomplete.
    plugin-co 5813       mint  txt       REG        7,1     46508   43856 /usr/lib/firefox-7.0.1/plugin-container

Kill, kill and kill again, replaying after each kill. Replay=Stop(Hit Stop)+Play(Hit Play). Doing so in the following order until sound is regained:-
    1. Code: Select all

mint@mint ~ $ ps -C vlc,pulseaudio,plugin-container
        PID TTY          TIME CMD
       3572 ?        00:00:00 pulseaudio
       5813 ?        00:00:08 plugin-containe
       5843 ?        00:00:01 vlc
      kill 5813 'plugin-container'
    2. Code: Select all

mint@mint ~ $ ps -C vlc,pulseaudio,plugin-container
        PID TTY          TIME CMD
       3572 ?        00:00:39 pulseaudio
       5843 ?        00:01:10 vlc
      kill 3572 'pulseaudio'
    3. Code: Select all

kill 5843
      'vlc' Only occasionally necessary, resulting in VLC Player terminating. VLC Player needs to be once more invoked.
As symptoms have persisted and applied remedies always seem to work, suppose I'd best go about trying to raise a bug report. So, facing the prospect of getting to grips with Launchpad ...
Thunderlightnin40

Post by Thunderlightnin40 »

Newbie to Mint, Mint 12 easy to install and set up works perfect on my amd quad core system.Love it!!! :D
MonkeyPaw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MonkeyPaw »

kmb42vt wrote: The ugly second icons you see are from a hidden "Debian" menu that only shows up when you view "Applications" under "Activities as your image shows. I had the same thing. What you have to do is to install "Alacarte" (Main Menu menu editor) via Synaptic. Once installed, search for "Main Menu" in either the new Mint Menu or Gnome-shell Activites. When the menu editor window comes up you'll find a "Debian" entry in the left sidebar. Click on the arrow beside the entry to expand the items under "Debian" and you'll see a long list of folders, some having arrows beside them as well. This where it gets tedious. You have to open each one of these folders in the left hand pane including expanding the sub-folders with the arrow beside them and, in the right hand area, uncheck all the items that exist in each and every folder (for some reason you can't just uncheck the main folders under "Debian", it always rechecks itself.
Thanks to this and bump to keep this tip alive. Looks much nicer now without 2 instances of Firefox and the ugly icons.
rfd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rfd »

i didn't like m12 from the get-go, still don't - useless redundancy, many more clicks required with less options than m10 or m11. i still don't exactly "like it".

however, two of my machines will not function with m10 or m11, and i've been running m12 on them for about 3 months and living with the differences.

which proves one can used to most anything and learn to like it - or lose it. :mrgreen:
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

Nixie Pixel on Mint 12 + a crazy blue cat staring you down...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G7TJyZPKPo
pgmer6809
Level 4
Level 4

Post by pgmer6809 »

I installed Linux MINT 12. Software manager and update manager keep giving me errors regarding package lists.

It complains about lines of the form:
mirror.peer1.net/ubuntu lisa main
e.g.
Failed to fetch http://mirror.peer1.net/ubuntu/dists/li ... 6/Packages 404 Not Found
Failed to fetch http://mirror.peer1.net/ubuntu/dists/li ... 6/Packages 404 Not Found
Failed to fetch http://mirror.peer1.net/ubuntu/dists/li ... ce/Sources 404 Not Found

I visit that site and there is no 'lisa' directory.
There is a 'oneiric' directory.
Question: Can I edit the /etc/apt/sources.list file and replace all occurrences of 'lisa' with 'oneiric'?
Or should I be using a different mirror that is mint specific?

pgmer6809
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

Maybe you have look at the downloadmirror or in 'sources' (synaptic settings f.e.)?
I don't have those 'peers' in my list. My sources.lst:

deb http://mirror.devnu11.net/linuxmint/ lisa main upstream import backport
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-security main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ oneiric partner
deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ oneiric free non-free

# deb http://archive.removed/ubuntu oneiric-removed apps
# deb http://archive.removed/ubuntu oneiric-removed games

I use mostly for download http://mirror.devnu11.net/linuxmint

:wink:

Return to “Releases & Announcements”