Corrupted text/font after logging back in

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Deflect

Corrupted text/font after logging back in

Post by Deflect »

This is more of a minor annoyance then anything, but sometimes (not always), after I log back into my account, some of the font/text appears corrupted. For example, just now, I just came back from dinner, logged in, and saw that the notes that I were taking suddenly looked like this:

Parts of many letters are missing (and it's not completely random -- every 'g' (for example) is missing the same chunk in the same spot), and it's distracting, overall.

I've had this problem on and off for months. Sometimes, it afflicts just the serif font I use for libreoffice. Other times, it affects my web browser. Changing the font or the font size seems to work as a temporary fix, but I'm reluctant to do that.

Rebooting the computer fixes everything, but that's too intrusive, especially when I'm in the middle of something with multiple windows and tabs open.

This problem seems to appear only when I shake my mouse to wake the computer from the screensaver and I've been locked out of my account. The font never corrupts randomly while I'm actively using my computer.

What can I do to fix this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Corrupted text/font after logging back in

Post by xenopeek »

This is possibly a graphics card driver issue, or a suspend/resume issue. Please share the output of the following command run on the terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxc 0
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Deflect wrote:Changing the font or the font size seems to work as a temporary fix, but I'm reluctant to do that.
..but I'm reluctant to do that
If that does work, it seems a simple enough fix ?
  • OK, so how about save and exit the file, does it save correctly, that is is it only the screen display that is the issue
    --before or after resetting the font size ?
I would determine if it is a file, that the file saves correctly or not, if it does, then it is a quick save/exit/reload of the program to get a normal text size displayed..

I might try a simple screen saver, such as a blank screen or a power off display after a certain time
--but probably not sleep or other OS status saving conditions..

Of course it is probably a notebook you are using, so you will have those suspend/sleep/hibernate/power type problems
--and since the comeback issue is resolved by a reboot, it is obviously the type of status saving being done
  • Might be nothing much can be done with it
    --lets see anyone else have an option..
Until someone has an actual fix: that is..
ChickenPie4Tea

Post by ChickenPie4Tea »

I get the same corrupted text but there seems to be no pattern to it - I mean I dont notice what causes it - it just suddenly appears maybe after an hour on the computer maybe 3 - it looks the same as the screenshot - I tried changing the system font but that didn't solve it.

System:    Host elx-TravelMate-2410 Kernel 2.6.35-22-generic i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint 10 Julia
CPU:       Single core Intel Celeron M (-UP-) cache 1024 KB flags (sse sse2) bmips 3192.22 clocked at 1596.112 MHz 
Graphics:  Card Intel Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller X.Org 1.9.0 Res: 1280x800@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel 915GM GEM 20100330 DEVELOPMENT x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version 1.4 Mesa 7.9-devel Direct Rendering Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller driver Intel ICH at ports 1c00 18c0 BusID: 00:1e.2
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.23
Network:   Card-1 Atheros AR2413 802.11bg NIC driver ath5k v: 0.6.0 BusID: 06:05.0
           Card-2 Realtek RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ driver 8139too v: 0.9.28 at port 3000 BusID: 06:07.0
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 661.2GB (20.1% used) 1: /dev/sda SAMSUNG_HM160JC 160.0GB 
           2: USB /dev/sdb 5000BEV_External 500.1GB 3: USB /dev/sdc Mobile_Memory 1.0GB 
Partition: ID:/ size: 11G used: 3.4G (34%) fs: ext2 ID:/home size: 76G used: 3.2G (5%) fs: ext2 
           ID:swap-1 size: 2.10GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 49.0C mobo: 42.0C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes 136 Uptime 7:16 Memory 295.3/1498.1MB Runlevel 2 Client Shell inxi 1.4.12
Deflect

Post by Deflect »

Doing `inxi -Fxc 0` prints the following:

System:    Host HP-MAIN Kernel 2.6.38-8-generic i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint 11 Katya
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium 4 (-HT-) cache 1024 KB flags (nx sse sse2 sse3) bmips 6401.64 
           Clock Speeds: (1) 3200.820 MHz (2) 3200.820 MHz
Graphics:  Card Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics Controller X.Org 1.10.1 Res: 1680x1050@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel 915G GEM 20100330 DEVELOPMENT x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version 1.4 Mesa 7.10.2 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller driver HDA Intel BusID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.23
Network:   Card Realtek RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ driver 8139too v: 0.9.28 at port e400 BusID: 02:02.0
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 250.1GB (5.2% used) 1: /dev/sda WDC_WD2500JD 250.1GB 28C 
Partition: ID:/ size: 6.5G used: 5.9G (97%) fs: ext4 ID:/boot size: 276M used: 52M (20%) fs: ext4 
           ID:/home size: 73G used: 6.2G (10%) fs: ext4 ID:swap-1 size: 3.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Info:      Processes 166 Uptime 21 min Memory 474.6/993.0MB Runlevel 2 Client Shell inxi 1.4.23
DrHu wrote:
Deflect wrote:Changing the font or the font size seems to work as a temporary fix, but I'm reluctant to do that.
..but I'm reluctant to do that
If that does work, it seems a simple enough fix ?
But I like the fonts that I'm using.
DrHu wrote: OK, so how about save and exit the file, does it save correctly, that is is it only the screen display that is the issue
--before or after resetting the font size ?
I would determine if it is a file, that the file saves correctly or not, if it does, then it is a quick save/exit/reload of the program to get a normal text size displayed..
I have no problem saving, but for example, if whatever font Gedit uses is corrupting, then opening any file with Gedit will appear corrupted. I don't think this is a problem with individual files, but rather, with either entire programs or entire fonts.
DrHu wrote: I might try a simple screen saver, such as a blank screen or a power off display after a certain time
--but probably not sleep or other OS status saving conditions..
I'll try doing that, and see what happens, barring any other fixes.
DrHu wrote: Of course it is probably a notebook you are using, so you will have those suspend/sleep/hibernate/power type problems
I'm actually using a desktop computer.

Return to “Beginner Questions”