Add option to Lisa to enable fortunes in terminal

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Danko8321

Post by Danko8321 »

Hello, forum fellas, I have been a bit grumpy lately because the otherwise cold mint terminal had lost those magnificent fortunes that made it so appealing. I knew of course that this was only due to mixed opinions and have nothing against it; it is wise to not show them by default since not everybody likes them, but, Not showing them at all? crazy idea. I personally love them and would hate it if they were gone. They are not gone, I know (dconf-editor got them back in my case, but they are certainly not the same.

What kind of a ruthless animal would like them to be gone for good? I do like the Husse quotes (I love them and think it is a very nice tribute), but the case is that that is not the best thing about fortunes; Where are the so beloved fortunes that said things like "Cheer up! Things are getting worse at a lower rate" or "Don't look now, but there is a multi-legged creature on your shoulder". Come on! I think it is the right thing to have fortunes disabled by default, but where is the user choice? We —Linux Mint users— should be able to decide if we wan't them or not, and even though I respect —but not in any way share— the opinion of people who want them gone, and even though I do like —and a lot— the Husse fortunes, I would really like to be surprised by one of those sarcastic —even sardonical— messages that I love so much every once in a while.

Come on, Linux Mint team! Please —and I know I'm sounding pretty much like a rookie here— put them back! Or at least give us the choise to do it. I know there are a lot of people out there that want them back —probably not as many as those who want them out, but still— and, in my humble opinion, the right thing would be to let them have a choise.

Thank you all for your time and I hope Clem gets to read this and at least consder to put them back. Cheers. Danko.
Last edited by xenopeek on Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited subject to reflect suggestion
doktornotor
Level 4
Level 4

Re: What about fortunes?!

Post by doktornotor »

The crazy gconf setting is a nice example of over-engineering... Geez, what is wrong with a simple line in .bashrc? :roll: Comment/uncomment as needed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: What about fortunes?!

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator
Danko8321

Post by Danko8321 »

Well, the problem can be solved by editing those settings with Gconf and the installing the package "fortunes" (which I wrongly assumed to be installed because of the "Husse Fortunes"). Still, I agree with the over-engeneering, this should be easier to do.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”