[SOLVED] "Recently used" configuration?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JoeInMN

[SOLVED] "Recently used" configuration?

Post by JoeInMN »

I am running Mint12 with XFCE installed on top. Does anyone know where XFFCE4 keeps whatever config file it uses for its "Recently Used" files list? I am running glx-dock (cairo) as my panel and have xfce4-panel turned off entirely, so the "Places" panel plugin is not easily available, and I'm looking for another way to clear the list. Info I find via Google suggests a ~/recently-used.xbel file, and I could add a rm -r /home/username/.recently-used.xbel line to a little cleanup script that I use, but this file seems not to exist anywhere on my system. My preference would be to turn off the record-keeping entirely, but I don't think there is a setting anywhere for that.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
doktornotor
Level 4
Level 4

Re: "Recently used" configuration?

Post by doktornotor »

$HOME/.local/share/recently-used.xbel

Probably a better way is doing the following:

Code: Select all

echo gtk-recent-files-max-age=0 >> ~/.gtkrc-2.0
JoeInMN

Post by JoeInMN »

doktornotor wrote:$HOME/.local/share/recently-used.xbel

Probably a better way is doing the following:

echo gtk-recent-files-max-age=0 >> ~/.gtkrc-2.0
Thanks, but that doesn't seem to do anything; the .xbel file still gets populated with whatever files I open. If I remove it, it gets recreated the next time I open something. If I set its permission to "Read Only" or "None," the system so helpfully changes it right back for me. The behavior persists after logout/in. Deleting the file seems to be the only way to clear it.

Incidentally, thanks for locating the .xbel file for me, but shouldn't the "Search for files..." accessory have been able to find "recently-used.xbel" or "*.xbel" on my system?
doktornotor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by doktornotor »

Well, if it does not do anything even after logging out and back in, then

rm -f $HOME/.local/share/recently-used.xbel
mkdir $HOME/.local/share/recently-used.xbel
otherwise obviously it will keep getting populated once again.

(I do not use "Search the files", no idea. locate is preinstalled and finds the file just fine via console.)
JoeInMN

Post by JoeInMN »

I was using the Applications Menu/Accessories/Search for files... GUI way. It failed to turn up the file for some reason.

Anyway, making the bogus directory finally appears to have helped. Thanks much!
doktornotor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by doktornotor »

Probably does not search hidden dirs (like .local) by default, or at all.

P.S. Need to ask GTK devs why this stopped working. Used to work just fine.
alveraan

Re: [SOLVED] "Recently used" configuration?

Post by alveraan »

Hi there. An even easier way is to make $HOME/.local/share/recently-used.xbel immutable like this (as root):

chattr +i /home/YOURUSER/.local/share/recently-used.xbel
Cheers
JoeInMN

Re: [SOLVED] "Recently used" configuration?

Post by JoeInMN »

alveraan wrote:Hi there. An even easier way is to make $HOME/.local/share/recently-used.xbel immutable like this (as root):

chattr +i /home/YOURUSER/.local/share/recently-used.xbel
Cheers
That looks like a more elegant solution, though the dummy folder method is probably easier for me to remember. I'll try that the next time. Thanks!

Return to “Xfce”