Options of instalation

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Koninator

Options of instalation

Post by Koninator »

Hi, I'm wondering if you could add in install process of Linux Mint, a page with "options of installation" or something similar, as is in Windows 98?

Because sometimes I need multiple computers, so i make them in virtual box.
And if each of my virtual box instances is using 4+GB of space my hard drive 64GB becomes to small.
Mostly i need only basic functionality, on virtual machines.
My virtual computers run MySQL or postgresql databases, web servers or some other programs which i install on them.
So there are no need for music players, picture editors, codes, ...

I know there are some distributions which allow you to chose which packages to install but that is too complex - after all there is over 10.000 packages to choose from.
So if you could make 3-4 profiles from which you could choose during install, that would be great. (Minimal, Basic, Multimedia studio, Developer machine, ...)
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Options of instalation

Post by remoulder »

This suggestion has been made many times before and rejected many times. Mint's aim is to provide a 'fully' working multimedia desktop out of the box http://www.linuxmint.com/about.php and customisable installations go against this. You can of course un-install anything you don't want afterwards.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Koninator wrote:Because sometimes I need multiple computers, so i make them in virtual box.
Mostly i need only basic functionality, on virtual machines.
My virtual computers run MySQL or postgresql databases, web servers or some other programs which i install on them. So there are no need for music players, picture editors, codes, ...
I am probably misreading this, what do you mean
  • You need to clone or make multiple machine setups
    --you use a VM to do so
  • You are resource limited, so that you cannot complete multiple machines because you run out of hard drive space
  • You use Virtual machines for others (creating their setups )
I thought initially it was a VM problem and started that thought track below; but if it is really to do with cloning machine setups, then remastersys or clonezilla or some other appliance tyep make, such as what Novell/Suse provided online would be the answer
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/suse-studio.html
Now that they have been sold and since it is an rpm based packager, might not be that useful, except as a good example

Without installing any applications on a VM, such as Virtualbox or VMware, the OS you use should allow you to minimize itself, but you still have to use whatever the VM decides represents a minimal installation..

If it is as it seems, you want web servers running supporting mulktiple databases or web browsing?
--then virtual web servers would seem the choice to make
Multiple web sites..
http://www.debuntu.org/2006/02/22/7-vir ... g-apache-2
--an older Apache example..

Virtual web hosts, single machine..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_web_hosting_service
--and if that is done, then a common SQL database set with different views (run a different client job) from each web host would seem to be a way of minimizing server space: however when setting up any such machine, the first requirement is always proper resource allocation, so if you have minimal resources, you either have to make do or squeeze those resources.

As to the options question, the windows OS offers only a minimal option choice, such as leave out the accessories folder etc..
--it can hardly be called customization..
Mik3e
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mik3e »

remoulder wrote:... You can of course un-install anything you don't want afterwards.
This is true but risky. Removing default software can also remove shared libraries, thereby disabling needed functions. I have no use for instant messaging, wifi or iPod connections, among many other things, but I have been unable to get rid of them. (Just a minor frustration there.) It would be much more useful to me to never load that stuff in the first place. I am suggesting that Mint has missed the mark if ...
remoulder wrote:Mint's aim is to provide a 'fully' working multimedia desktop out of the box
Koninator

Post by Koninator »

@DrHu Thanks for good info about Apache 2.

But i will go with SuseStudio because i really hate new Gnome look in Mint 16.
[Also something is wrong with my PC or Gnome because every 30 minutes desktop(bottom line with menu + top line with clock + all windows) crashes to wallpaper and then it loads up again no data loss during processes.]

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”