Software Manager crashing in Mint 12 KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RevMikePaloAlto

Software Manager crashing in Mint 12 KDE

Post by RevMikePaloAlto »

Running Mint 12 KDE from a fresh install.
Software Manager opens and then crashes.
Tried the update/upgrade suggestions found elsewhere. Not effective.
Terminal info upon command line launch of mintinstall below:

~ $ mintinstall
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:252: SyntaxWarning: import * only allowed at module level
def get_status_description(self, transaction):
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:260: SyntaxWarning: import * only allowed at module level
def get_role_description(self, transaction):
add_categories took 3.847 ms
build_matched_packages took 0.692 ms

[Software Manager splash screen dissappears at this point after a pause and the scroll continues]

add_packages took 2551.125 ms
add_reviews took 407.283 ms

(mintinstall.py:8847): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set_qdata: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
__init__ took 3109.876 ms
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:1137: GtkWarning: Theme directory scalable/animations/small/16x16 of theme Mint-KDE has no size field

if theme.has_icon(cat.icon):
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/mintinstall.py:1137: GtkWarning: Theme directory scalable/animations/small/22x22 of theme Mint-KDE has no size field

if theme.has_icon(cat.icon):
show_category took 15.253 ms
Segmentation fault

Software update working via GUI and terminal
Synaptic working

Thank you for any light you can shed on this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Software Manager crashing in Mint 12 KDE

Post by xenopeek »

Others are encountering the same problem;
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 9&p=534058
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&p=530766
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 3&p=532676

You may try a:

Code: Select all

suode apt-get update && sudo apt--get upgrade
Or, worst case, reinstall with the Mint 12 KDE final that has been released today. Muon has been named as an alternative to mintinstall.
RevMikePaloAlto

Post by RevMikePaloAlto »

Thank you. update/upgrade sequence not a fix. Muon is working. I'll use that in the interim until time available to re-install.
kiko53s

Post by kiko53s »

I'm having exact same problem...tried suggested ideas to no avail...don't want to re-install...I'll just use Synaptic Package Manager for now????
deensokmo

Post by deensokmo »

Also crash after loading a few second., but now I replaced it with Deepin Software center.. Look so good and and friendly to use.. working fine on my Mint 12 KDE.. :D
madeinhsa

Post by madeinhsa »

I am getting same problem on Linux mint kde 12.,... here is the log..

02/15/12 11:04:58 AM hemantoffice kernel [ 1287.868982] mintinstall[3238]: segfault at 4 ip 015366d4 sp bf8c83bc error 6 in libdbus-1.so.3.5.7[150f000+47000]
02/15/12 11:05:01 AM hemantoffice CRON[3283] (root) CMD (command -v debian-sa1 > /dev/null && debian-sa1 1 1)
andlan

Post by andlan »

Same happening to me. Tried all the suggestions given, also tried re-install of Mint. same problem. I can launch software manager, but after 3 seconds it crashes :(

I am very disappointed. I read and watched a number of reviews regarding this distribution. I was convened that this was for me.Without this working this distribution is of no use to me. I think I will try "Kubuntu" instead. I hope someone knows how to resolve this problem.

Thanks
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

This is an acknowledged problem of Linux Mint 12 KDE release. The current workaround is to use Muon as a replacement for Software Manager. See here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=93496

Clem has confirmed the issue, as also described in above link, and the development team will be working on fixing this as part of the Linux Mint 13 development cycle.

For now, you can use Muon as a workaround to this problem. Please have confidence that Clem is aware of the issue and that the development team will be working on fixing this.

Return to “Software & Applications”