[SOLVED]mintMenu delay/does not open with first launch click

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
teseglet

[SOLVED]mintMenu delay/does not open with first launch click

Post by teseglet »

When I launch Linux Mint with the Cinnamon desktop and click the mintMenu icon for the very first time (whether it is immediately after starting Linux Mint or 5 - 10 minutes later), the menu icon hover background remains for about 3 seconds and disappears and the mintMenu box does not open. After the background hover color disappears, I click the menu icon again and mintMenu works perfectly then and for the rest of the session. This issue is every time I start Linux Mint. Mutiple clicks of the menu icon at startup does not help either.... just still have to wait 3-4 seconds before 1 of the clicks takes.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I have an older GeForce 6200 video card.

It may be Gnome 3 related, because when I am in Gnome Shell at start-up and click the Activities button or swipe the upper left corner, I experience a similar result trying to access the whateveryoumightcallit app icon screen.

I'm not sure if this is video card related, slower processor related, or if there is a hack to correct. Any help would be appreciated as it is annoying as one of the first experiences at startup.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mank_in

Re: mintMenu delay/does not open with first launch click

Post by mank_in »

I think vga driver problem , if you are using proprietary driver , update to latest NVIDIA drivers. If already the latest , try using nouveau driver.
Check your vga driver with :

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
teseglet

Post by teseglet »

Here is what I have:

$ inxi -Gx
Graphics: Card-1: nVidia NV44A [GeForce 6200] bus-ID: 00:0a.0
Card-2: VIA CN700/P4M800 Pro/P4M800 CE/VN800 [S3 UniChrome Pro] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org 1.10.4 drivers nvidia unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau Resolution 1280x1024@50.0hz
GLX Renderer GeForce 6200/PCI/SSE2 GLX Version 2.1.2 NVIDIA 280.13 Direct Rendering Yes
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

Disable On board VGA ( VIA ) in BIOS.

If you are want to used latest driver ( 290.10 ) , you can add ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates

Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
run update manager. If update manager didn't find nvidia 290, run synaptic , search nvidia 290.10 and install it, you maybe need remove nvidia 280.13 .
Restart . and check with inxi -Gx again.
teseglet

Post by teseglet »

I updated to latest driver, but do not know how to disable on board VGA. The result is the issue still exists

$ inxi -Gx
Graphics: Card-1: nVidia NV44A [GeForce 6200] bus-ID: 00:0a.0
Card-2: VIA CN700/P4M800 Pro/P4M800 CE/VN800 [S3 UniChrome Pro] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org 1.10.4 drivers nvidia unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau Resolution 1280x1024@50.0hz
GLX Renderer GeForce 6200/PCI/SSE2 GLX Version 2.1.2 NVIDIA 290.10 Direct Rendering Yes
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

Disable onboard VGA in BIOS depend your BIOS/Mainboard manufacture. Check manual of your mainboard.
Did you see performance improved or better color correction by latest drivers :?:
teseglet

Post by teseglet »

First, relative to improved performance and colors... I suppose, but nothing shockingly different. I suppose things might look a bit more rich, but now too late to remember how things were before, same goes for performance.

I figured out how to get to my BIOS... here were the only lines that referenced VGA:

Assign IRQ for VGA <enabled>
PCI/VGA Palette Snoop <disabled>
VGA share memory size <64M>

So still not sure how to disable on board VGA.
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

To onboard VGA change VGA share memory size to 0 MB.

is better or not before installing NVIDIA driver ( at first install ) :?:
If you don't remember , launch LIVE CD again and see the different. Live cd /first install using Nouveau (open source )driver.
If better you can try uninstall /deactivated NVIDIA driver from "additional driver"
You need restart after deactivate NVIDIA driver.

check your driver after that with inxi -Gx . It something like :

drivers nouveau unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nvidia
GLX Renderer Gallium 3D at NV44A Direct Rendering Yes

In my experience ( not much :lol: ) : nouveau has better compatibility , NVIDIA has better performance
teseglet

[SOLVED]Re: mintMenu delay/does not open with first launch c

Post by teseglet »

So I removed the Proprietary Nvidia Driver and switched to Nouveau... it did not fix mintMenu issue and noticed graphics effects slightly more jerky.

Then I went back to the BIOS and when I clicked <64M> for VGA Share Memory Size, it gave me a multiple choice selection and I was able to choose <disabled>.

This fixed the problem with mintMenu... but graphics were still a bit jerky so went back to the Proprietary Nvidia driver. Now my (old) system is perfect, so thanks for the guidance. In fact I think my system is better now than ever (in the 4 or so years I've owned this economy system) now that those 64MB of VGA memory have been freed back to my system.

:D
mank_in

Re: [SOLVED]mintMenu delay/does not open with first launch c

Post by mank_in »

Glad could be helping :D
You are lucky you can have an option to disable onboard graphic in BIOS. A lot of another Mint user didn't have this option on Hybrid Graphic Notebook.

Return to “Software & Applications”