Which version of Mint are forum users using, and why?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

What version of Mint do you use

Linux Mint 12 - Gnome 3
15%
Linux Mint 12 - Gnome 3 MGSE
9%
Linux Mint 12 - MATE
4%
Linux Mint 11 or earlier
29%
Mint Debian - Gnome
11%
Mint Debian - Xfce
11%
Mint 11 LXDE or earlier
4%
Other...
17%

Total votes: 159

craig10x

Re: Which version of Mint are forum users using, and why?

Post by craig10x »

Very good, Kevin...i was just "ribbing you" of course :wink:
Still, i think there is something to be said about my method of avoiding problems with Cinnamon as it continues it's development...my "philosophy" so far has worked like a charm...i know it's always tempting to tinker and try to add things before they are truly ready, but it usually pays off to resist and hold off :)

Enjoy Mint 11 meanwhile...i liked it too...anyway, by the time Mint 13 comes out Cinnamon will be totally awesome...it's darn good even now :mrgreen:
HelloIndustries

Post by HelloIndustries »

I'm still using Mint 11 with Gnome 2.x, entirely due to feeling that Cinnamon isn't quite ready for my liking. I have every confidence that by the time mint 13 is released, cinnamon will be ready enough for me.
CapitalG

Post by CapitalG »

HelloIndustries wrote:I'm still using Mint 11 with Gnome 2.x, entirely due to feeling that Cinnamon isn't quite ready for my liking. I have every confidence that by the time mint 13 is released, cinnamon will be ready enough for me.
+1 :mrgreen:
diazepan11

Post by diazepan11 »

LMDE with Xfce. LMDE as a way to getting close to Debian. XFCE just for trying another Desktop
cardineau

Post by cardineau »

I have experimented with Mint 11, 12, and various versions of desktop. Mint 12 with Mate is for me. I'm running all software and utilities that I have ever needed with MS widows, only much faster and with more stability. The only utility which I have found lacking is a Linux equivalent of the MS Windows program "Tiny Spell". If someone could duplicate that I'd be very grateful. Still, I'm Happy with Mint 12 and Mate.
Lendo

Post by Lendo »

LMDE Xfce cause it rules :D
markg

Post by markg »

Currently using Mint 10 Xfce on a "hand Me Down" laptop. Definitely enjoying it. A P4 2.2 GHZ, 512 RAM with Intel graphics chipset. Tried quite a few variants and versions of Ubuntu and settled with Mint 10 XFCE. I know $40 worth of ram (2 pc2100 512's) would bring it up to snuff, but I plan on giving it to someone who needs a PC and who is short on coin.
claudecat

Post by claudecat »

I'm writing this in Mint 12 using the default MGSE, but I really don't like it much... I also have LMDE (gnome2) on this machine, which I love. I dread the next update pack which will have the abomination that is gnome3/gnome-shell. I also have Mint 11 on my laptop, with no plans to change that. All that being said, I generally boot into Arch with KDE lately. A year ago I was a staunch Mint advocate, but after having gotten used to KDE 4 (because of the gnome-shell/Unity mess), I've become distro-agnostic. Fedora, openSuse, PCLOS, Arch, etc... all KDE versions of virtually any distro work better for me than anything else these days. I'm gonna grab Mint KDE in a day or 2 and try that too... I'm sure I'll love it.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

claudecat...if you haven't already, i would suggest you try Cinnamon session on your Mint 12 installation...you might like that...when i first installed Mint 12 i was using MGSE but once Cinnamon became available i added it and it's become my favorite "default" session for Mint 12...each new version (which you get through update manager) brings new features and more flexibility...even as it is now, it is a pleasure to work with...so why not give it a try? :D
Lumikki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lumikki »

I use Mint 12 with Cinnamon. Why?

Mostly because it's lower taskbar or is it called bottom panel, just works well. It offers fast access to my current running programs and allows also fast start of my dayly used programs. I only go in menu when I do something different that usually. So favoured and program category menus are just addional, more rare use. I do how ever think that Cinnamons menus needs some changes, it's too confusing. I don't mean that it's hard to use, more like it could be better organized.

Second reason is that next main release version of Mint 13 will have Cinnamon as default and it's even LTS version. So, getting used Cinnamon now, as I'm new Linux user, will make the next Mint version feel like home.

I have tested Linux Mint 12 (gnome), LMDE 11 Xfce, Linux Mint 12 KDE, Ubuntu 11.10 (gnome), but as far I can see Linux Mint 12 Cinnamon was best for me, second could be LM 12 KDE.
Asus P7P55D, i5 750 2.6Ghz, 8GB DDR3, GeForce 750Ti, 80GB Intel SSD, Dell 1600x1200, Dual boot, Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, Windows 7
claudecat

Post by claudecat »

craig10x wrote:claudecat...if you haven't already, i would suggest you try Cinnamon session on your Mint 12 installation...you might like that...when i first installed Mint 12 i was using MGSE but once Cinnamon became available i added it and it's become my favorite "default" session for Mint 12...each new version (which you get through update manager) brings new features and more flexibility...even as it is now, it is a pleasure to work with...so why not give it a try? :D
Thanks craig, I did just as you suggested and I do indeed like Cinnamon quite a bit. I thinks what needs the most work for all Mint gnome-shell variants is font sizing. Having the menu and taskbar fonts smaller than app fonts feels odd. Just my 2 cents.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

you are welcome...thought you might :wink:
I believe the next version of Cinnamon will have a "Fonts" section added to Cinnamon Settings...though i am not sure exactly what it will be able to do at this point...
I would imagine it will be out soon though... new features will be continually added so it's possible what you are suggesting might eventually be possible... :)
darknetmatrix
Level 3
Level 3

Post by darknetmatrix »

Since two days i am using LinuxMint12 KDE now and it really rocks!!!!
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀
Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 »

I didn't consider myself a fan of KDE 4 at all until I tried Mint 12 KDE. Right now I still prefer Mint 11 because I have it setup exactly like I want but eventually I could see myself moving on to Mint 12 KDE over Mint 12 Gnome, even with Cinnamon.
Sammaul

Post by Sammaul »

I am running Mint 12 Gnome, using Cinnamon...I DO have KDE, and I think I am going to install that as well, as I like what Mint has done with it. I delibrately left about 40 gigs open, with a seperate data partition, to distro hop, but after looking at KDE Ill install it on those 40 gigs and just use a vm inside the KDE...I have a TON of Live CD's(going nuts after making the move to Linux lol) but Mint is far and away the distro I most prefer...though Bohdi does have a nice llightweight distro :D
Nightstrike2009

Post by Nightstrike2009 »

I am using Linux Mint 12 with the default DE, I came to Linux Mint because of the Ubuntu "Unity" farce, which IMO is little more than a tantrum against Gnome 3.0. I like the blending of Gnome 3.0 with mint extensions has it allows users to adjust from gnome 2.0 to gnome 3.0 easier, by providing both the new interface and a familiar looking one in the same session.

Good work, Clem and the Mint team yet another "Ubuntu refugee" is hear to stay on the Mintier side of linux :-)
Nightstrike2009

Post by Nightstrike2009 »

Double posted in error, sorry
Ponny

Post by Ponny »

Stil using Mint 9 and waiting for 13.
I hope, 13 will be more stable than 9. I don't like feezing OS, just ice cream.

Ponny
heavy metal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by heavy metal »

Linuxmint 12 LXDE, you forgot that in your poll, why mint LXDE? because for me, the applications works better than in Gnome 3, KDE or Unity, the only regret is that K3B doesn't recognize the normalize-audio function, but that happens in all distros made from debian.
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

heavy metal wrote:Linuxmint 12 LXDE, you forgot that in your poll, why mint LXDE? because for me, the applications works better than in Gnome 3, KDE or Unity, the only regret is that K3B doesn't recognize the normalize-audio function, but that happens in all distros made from debian.
I'm pretty sure the Mint 12 LXDE edition wasn't released when this poll was started.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”