Kubuntu vs. Linux Mint 12 KDE

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TheBigAmbulance

Kubuntu vs. Linux Mint 12 KDE

Post by TheBigAmbulance »

I have been a Kubuntu user since 7.04. I have always preferred the look of KDE.

Ok, so now onto my question. I'm looking to migrate from Kubuntu to Mint 12 KDE. Problem is, I'm really not familiar with Mint. I understand that it's base is ubuntu. But as far as updates... How regularly are things like KDE updated (i.e. KDE 4.8 is available in the ubuntu backports).

I guess I'm just wondering what I can expect...?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Kubuntu vs. Linux Mint 12 KDE

Post by remoulder »

Mint 12 KDE is based on ubuntu same as kubuntu, and uses the same repositories so whatever updates ubuntu gets will also appear in mint. You can also enable the backports to get other updates in the same way.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Mint12 KDE is really good but don't forget to give Netrunner a try, also based on Kubuntu. I have never been a KDE fan but Mint12 KDE and Netrunner i like

http://www.netrunner-os.com/
TheBigAmbulance

Post by TheBigAmbulance »

Thanks Guys,

I'm trying to become a Mint transplant... I really like the fact that out of the 'box', Mint has more to get my system up and running faster. Given with time I could get Kubuntu to be the same. But what impressed me right out of the gate was the fact of it seeing my RAID1 (which kubuntu wouldn't) and my printer was setup without me even knowing about it.

TAKE THAT BILL GATES! :mrgreen:

Return to “Beginner Questions”