Linux Mint 12 KDE released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 12 KDE released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 12 KDE. Linux Mint 12 KDE New features at a glance: KDE 4.7.4 Hybrid ISO images Search engines Upstream components For a complete overview and to see screenshots of the new features, visit: “What’s new in Linux Mint 12 KDE“. Release notes: Moonlight Upstream [...]
Announcement: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1927
SimonTS

Re: Linux Mint 12 KDE released!

Post by SimonTS »

No reply yet? :shock:

Just to say 'Thank You' to the whole team. I have been using Mint 12 as a Live image, but haven't bothered to actually install it as I have been
waiting for the KDE spin to arrive. Now it has, I have to spend some time sorting it all out :mrgreen:

Hopefully the release of this will bring some more new Minters into the fold as they try to escape from Gnome 3.
nounours18200

Post by nounours18200 »

As they try to escape from Gnome 3
This is obviously what I am waiting for ! Gnome3 is nightmare (in my opinion) and I have recently switched from Ubuntu to Fedora 16 KDE because I do not accept the Gnome3 constraints...(and it seems that a lot of people did the same).

So Mint 12 KDE is a superb news, and it will be installed on my PC bby the end of this week !
auto023112

Post by auto023112 »

Using it right now. One thing I don't get about KDE is....why is the wifi network management so tedius? Why can't it automatically just connect to the one I select, and then prompt me for a password? Just curious...am I missing something here?

I'm still learning KDE, but out of all the KDE distros Linux Mint team does it again. Very well polished! Good job guys.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Yes, great job on Mint 12 KDE it looks good and runs well!
Regarding wireless--I just clicked on the network-manager and chose my router, clicked on auto-connect, went to edit and put in my password, no problems.
darknetmatrix
Level 3
Level 3

Post by darknetmatrix »

After using LMDE and LinuxMint12 with cinnamon i have now installed Mint12 KDE and it really rocks!
Great Job!!!
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

After using Ubuntu Unity for several months it was this LM 12 KDE edition that brought me fully back to Linux Mint again. De KDE-desktop has fully matured now and the 4.7 and 4.8 releases are technically superb. I like the default-applications very much...it is not bloated and the whole system feels snappy and fast. Such a delight after the Unity-experience...

Can you imagine that after some tweaking the system is using 380 MB idle? That means in 64-bits and with desktop-effects switched on. Unity uses even more in Unity-2D mode.

I hope the LM 13 KDE-release will be even better...I have the intention to use it really as my LTS-desktop! I hope the coöperation with Blue-systems and Netrunner will bring us in the near future the best KDE-desktop experience available on this planet. Despite Canonicals plans with Kubuntu (grrr...).

Thanks Clem and Team :D
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (64 bits)
leskieurbiker

Post by leskieurbiker »

because I do not accept the Gnome3 constraints...
I'm new to Linux, and using Linux Mint 12 x64 with Gnome, and I like it a lot. I've been using it 99% of the time last weeks. What are those "Gnome 3 constraints"??? I've tried the live CD, I think it looks good, but I don't get what's better with KDE.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

leskieurbiker wrote:I'm new to Linux, and using Linux Mint 12 x64 with Gnome, and I like it a lot. I've been using it 99% of the time last weeks. What are those "Gnome 3 constraints"??? I've tried the live CD, I think it looks good, but I don't get what's better with KDE.
It's 99% personal preference. Much of the time it comes down to which parts of your desktop environment are configurable, and which parts are not. There are many people who like the way Gnome 3 configures and looks much better than KDE. Use what you enjoy using, and don't worry too much about what others think.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Just want to thank all involved in the KDE spin , have just installed it this morning and like the work you've done.

:D
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
bigmattyd

Post by bigmattyd »

I am a new convert to Linux Mint, after having been with ubuntu from 8.10 to the present. I am not fond of the new direction ubuntu is taking with its desktop environment, and I am running linux on a 2006 Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop with an AMD Turion 64 X2 processor and integrated AMD Radeon Xpress graphics and Broadcom 43xx wireless card. This combination of hardware has been somewhat frustrating to use with Linux.

I found that Linux Mint 12 regular edition did not work well with my system. It reverted to a Gnome fallback mode, which was not great.

I am very happy that I found Linux Mint 12 KDE Edition! It runs beautifully on my hardware. It is elegant, fast, customizable, and relatively bug-free. It has a good set of default software.

I have found that the software manager won't run, so I use either synaptic, or I just installed Muon software manager. Also the Dolphin file manager has crashed unexpectedly a couple times, as has firefox. It has not kept me from enjoying this os, however. I have not booted into Ubuntu 10.04 LTS ( my previous Linux install) for at least a week, but I am keeping it just in case.

Thank you so much for a beautiful, efficient, easy to use OS for my aging laptop. I just love it so far. The only thing I wonder is if there are enough other people out there using this that I will be able to find help woth any issues I might have. I guess I will find out. :roll:

Matt
outfieldgrass

Post by outfieldgrass »

I installed the regular version of Linux Mint 12 and after playing with Gnome 3, Mate and Cinnamon I decided to install KDE. I also upgraded to KDE 4.8 in the process. Is there any reason for me to install Linux Mint 12 KDE? Or is the only difference the addition of KDE? Curious if there are any updates specific to KDE that I should be interested in.
sdim
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sdim »

Another excellent release. Many thanks, Clem & Team.
Everything working out of the box.
Just one question: Is Nepomuk supposed to be disabled? I get these error messages, after booting up to desktop.
MB:MSI 770 C-45 / HD1:500 GB-->Windows / HD2:320 GB-->Mint 20 Cinnamon
CPU:AMD X4 640 3.00 GHz / RAM:4.0 GB / VGA: NVidia GeForce GT630
UriahBenson5

Post by UriahBenson5 »

Hello,

I just wanted to say thank you also. I am new to linux; although I installed it on my last computer from a live disc just for the experience, I never did much. Now, I have a real interest in learning all I can. I am in my 60's and hope to keep some brain cells active learning this new OS. I try to get my family members to embrace linux, but they see a computer more like a tv to which you can talk rather than an adventure. Thanks again.
nounours18200

Post by nounours18200 »

It is done: I have installed LM-12 KDE and it is superb !

It is a pure pleasure after the hell of Gnome-3 and Unity...

Thank you guys, great work, and just forget Gnome3 for the LM-13 release !!!
stanley82
Level 3
Level 3

Post by stanley82 »

It's quite nice but I think I should have stayed with mint 11. Got a problem with cups, add printer and local parallel port not displayed. I reported this as a cups bug but they say to tell the distro. Problem with the parallel port driver in the kernel. cups is okay in ubuntu 11:10. It's a shame as I like mint and I'm wodering if there is a fix or wait for mint13. By the way same problem with kernel 3.0.0.15 and 3.0.0.12. Regards Ian.
ClearSky

Post by ClearSky »

Linux MInt 12 KDE is awesome! Installed it yesterday. Much better than Windows 7.
Maxx Catt

Post by Maxx Catt »

A great release!
I haven't tried Linux in years.
Last time I couldn't get drivers for my tethered phone so I gave up.
This installed smooth as silk with no problems.
Minor issues here and there but they so far have been solved by searching the forum for answers.

Maxx
mads

Post by mads »

Thanks to all involved in making this release.

Using the x64 edition live DVD I couldn't connect to a WPA2 network with hidden SSID.
There is a workaround. I only wish that I had seen it before I spent one hour trying to get connected. :mrgreen:
kalimerox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kalimerox »

i asked that a minute ago in another thread, sorry, but thought it s worth:

does the new linux mint kde has an option for home encryption in the installer? that would be fantastic indeed!

Return to “Releases & Announcements”