ufw removal

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
michaelp

ufw removal

Post by michaelp »

I want to disable the default firewall which I guess is ufw? Actually I want to remove it and use a different firewall I found in software manager, what all do I need to remove so I can use a different firewall?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: ufw removal

Post by Aging Technogeek »

The easiest way is to open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge ufw
Then enter your password and ufw will be erased.

If you are hesitant to use the terminal, open Synaptic Package Manager, enter ufw in the quick search box, click on the entry, and select "Mark for Complete Removal". Click "Apply" and click "Apply" again in the "Summary" window and ufw will be removed along with gufw (the gui).
michaelp

Post by michaelp »

superb, thank you!
MavRik

Post by MavRik »

Wondering if UFW is the only firewall on Linux Mint ?
I am trying to just use FireStarter, but if I can't get connections to work can it be iptables etc ? some other firewall ?

Thanks
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Garvan »

ufw is a configuration utility for iptables, and it is disabled by default in Ubuntu and Mint.

If UFW is activated, then this link will tell you how to shut it down:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UFW

My understanding is that FireStarter is a more powerful GUI alternative to UFW.

Garvan
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
MavRik

Post by MavRik »

It sounds to me like, even after removing ufw I could still have connection issues as iptables is still running, right ?

Thanks.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

netfilter and iptables are always running. I'm not sure you can run Linux without iptables running.

ufw creates rules that are applied to iptables when ufw is running. They do not become part of iptables permanently. So one would create rules using ufw and then have them applied at every boot by issuing a:

sudo ufw enable
If you don't want the rules created by ufw applied to iptables at every boot then issue a:

sudo ufw disable
There's really no need to purge your system of ufw - just disable it.

One caution about Firestarter: Firestarter has in the past always interfered with Samba in unexpected ways. Even removing it was a troublesome task. It is also no longer maintained ( just repackaged ) and hasn't been updated since the Eisenhower administration ( that might be a slight exaggeration ) .
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
MavRik

Post by MavRik »

Actually the application I am having issues connecting to is MySQL...
Samba seems to be working fine, it's a shame about firestarter, it's one of the best firewall configs I've seen, in simplicity of course,
I am a programmer, I don't want to have to go get a degree in security just to get MySQL connected lol !

Thanks Altair !

So how do we manage netfilter & iptables for consistancy assuming they exist ?,
because I (# service iptables status) and got "netfilter: unrecognized service"...
same with iptables, they don't exist according to Mint,

Thanks
MavRik

Post by MavRik »

Part of the problem is that I'm almost sure I am fighting two problems at once I need to isolate the issues,

Any way to disable iptables ?
Do iptables still run off of hosts.allow files ?

As I understand it, firestarter and ufw regulate traffic only while the gui's are running, right ?

Thanks
borj07

Post by borj07 »

have you tried to create your own iptables.rules?

Return to “LMDE Archive”