multi core cpu support

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
eddie

multi core cpu support

Post by eddie »

Having popped the cpugraph plugin on to my panel I was a bit puzzled why it was only showing 1 cpu core.

Turned out the default Kernel was i486 only--I had to pull in the i686pae kernel.

Probably explains why the system wasnt quite as 'peppy' as I expected.

If your system seems a bit on the sluggish side check which Kernel you have installed.

May I please express my gratitude to those Linux Wizards that provide so much technical help to the community.

eddie
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
renold

Re: multi core cpu support

Post by renold »

How much memory do you have installed and what cpu? i686 is an enhanced version of x86 so you are still left with the 3.4GB memory limit. Just wanted to mention that if you do have a multi core cpu it could likely be 64 bit in which case x86_64 could be a better fit.
eddie

Post by eddie »

Its an 'old' amd 64x2 (skt939) with 2 gig of RAM--I only use it as a backup/hacking PC.

Having said that,I have just realized what a plonker I am! I downloaded the 32 bit ISO,not realizing it would have defaulted to a single core cpu setup.

I'm pretty certain other 32 bit distro's support >1 cpu core--in fact my main machine running Xubuntu is configured as 32 bit but runs both cores.

eddie
gavinhc

Post by gavinhc »

In the 201109 respin for LMDE, the 32 bit version defaults to a single-processor kernel. It's trivial to make it work with the multicore version. reference
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

renold wrote:How much memory do you have installed and what cpu? i686 is an enhanced version of x86 so you are still left with the 3.4GB memory limit. Just wanted to mention that if you do have a multi core cpu it could likely be 64 bit in which case x86_64 could be a better fit.
If I'm not completely wrong there is one minor flaw in your reasoning - at least as a comment to OP.

Isn't the pae (physical address extension) suppose to take care of the issue with the memory limit?

Return to “LMDE Archive”