all videos(mkv) stops after opening

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
terelelli78

all videos(mkv) stops after opening

Post by terelelli78 »

hi,
i am a new user of lmde.So, i downloaded mkv videos and couldnt watch it.Because when i open the video it playing 5-7 seconds and shutting.But other videos which is not mkv format playing well.What should i do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Gerd50

Re: all videos(mkv) stops after opening

Post by Gerd50 »

Which video player do you use? I have no problems with smplayer in order to play matroska videos.
If you want to convert mkv to another format, install winff.
terelelli78

Post by terelelli78 »

Are you sure reason of the problem is video player? I tried some diffarent video players Vlc,gnome player,and default video player and resul is the same but i didnt try smplayer.

Can you open mkv videos(i.e. 4800p) with vlc?
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

I have only installed smplayer. Another thought is, do you have w32codecs installed?
terelelli78

Post by terelelli78 »

No, i havent installed any codecs,just updated.Furthermore my system is intel atom N550 ,2gb ram and intel gma 3150 but i have used lisa and the problem like that has never been in lisa.
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

LMDE is not Lisa :wink: Try the w32codecs and if it does not work, convert mkv to avi with winff.
terelelli78

Post by terelelli78 »

i cant find w32codecs in synaptic package manager.Where can i find w32codecs?How to install w32codecs? but i checked out my packages there is a package installed w64codecs cause my lmde is 64 bit xfce,what should i do now?
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

Sorry, i didn't ask for your LMDE version. w64codecs are correct for your system.
terelelli78

Post by terelelli78 »

no problem but didnt change anything and when tried to install winff ,occured a error of broken package.
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

What is your sources.list? Please post the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -r
terelelli78

Post by terelelli78 »

This is output of the command:

Repos: Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest testing main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/multimedia testing main non-free
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

Have you updated to update pack 3? If not, update your system. And do you run PPA's what is not a good idea in LMDE?
terelelli78

Post by terelelli78 »

Yes,i have updated to update pack 3.And no i am not run ppa's.How to do it?
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

I wanted to know, if you possibly run PPA's. They are for Ubuntu based systems and can cause problems in LMDE.

In Synaptic there is an option 'repair or fix broken packages' which you should try. If it does not work and you can not
install winff after this attempt, please post the output of

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install winff
terelelli78

Post by terelelli78 »

i have tried to repair packages and succeeded but i dont wanna convert each video which is want to watch.

Is there another solution of this problem do you know?
terelelli78

Post by terelelli78 »

i found a exact solution in turkish linux mint forums.I think turkish linux users have big potantial.Problem is solved.

for big problems i suggest this web site: http://forum.linuxmint.org.tr/
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

Yes, i also think turkish linux users have a big potential :D I am happy that i'm fairly well in german language and
can stumble some english, but i can't read turkish :( After i spent some time in order to answer your questions, i really
would like to know, what is the solution for you?
terelelli78

Post by terelelli78 »

Thanks for spent time in order to answer my questions this was very helpful and good for you ,you know two languages.You can use google translate for other language this will very helpful too.

And yes i have to expression the solution for other peopele which is encountering or which will encounter same problem.

Solution:

Open gnome-mplayer and preferences,take a look subtitle task.Remove the upper second tick which is about mkv.

And open the video with gnome-mplayer.
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

Thanks for the solution terelelli and you are right, other people could profit from it :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”