Beginners Guide Setting Up Mint LXDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
seppalta

Beginners Guide Setting Up Mint LXDE

Post by seppalta »

http://lxlinux.com is an ongoing project. As I discover worthwhile new things, I incorporate them.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Beginners Guide Setting Up Mint LXDE

Post by Oscar799 »

Thread stickied
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Very informative site. Thanks all.
Ikem

Post by Ikem »

Red on green isn't good to read.
Last edited by Ikem on Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CaptSteve

Post by CaptSteve »

Seppalta: your site triggers a WOT alert, based on user feeback of 100webspace.net. Perhaps you should check this out.

see http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/douwi ... bspace.net
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

What is a wot alert? Windows Obfuscation Tricks?
CaptSteve

Post by CaptSteve »

WOT is Web of Trust, a website vetting service and FF plugin. It operates on a combination of shared blacklists and user feedback. Your host domain raises an alert and user comments suggest it's a source of spam. Follow the link I gave you to see the scorecard for more details.

If you disagree with this warning, you need to contact WOT via the website to get it reviewed.

I hope this helps.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

Your link goes to an invitation to join something, which I suspect is some kind of scam to eventually solicit money from me. Wot needs to be investigated is WOT! 100webspace has given me excellent service for years, never been down to my knowledge, recently increased my space to more than I can use at the moment with no adds for about $10/year. But I have been thinking about getting a domain name, which I guess should end the WOT scare since I do not perpetuate spam, or access much <violates forum rules>.
CaptSteve

Post by CaptSteve »

No call to shoot the messenger! WOT is a featured extension of Firefox so I hardly think their a bunch of cowboys. If this alert is unjustified then use the review process.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

No problem with the messenger, and I don't own a gun to shoot anything :D . And I'm certainly against spam, for which the greatest perpetrators are the great American Corporations, none of which, I bet, are on WOT's bad guys list. So you investigate both sides, report back, and I'll follow your recommendations :D . If Firefox is now going into the policing business, maybe it's time for Chrome.
virgilim

Post by virgilim »

where is hardware settings and configuration of LXDE?
i am not able to find it!!
thanks.....
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

where is hardware settings and configuration of LXDE?
If you mean mouse and keyboard by hardware, try downloading and installing LXinput . There is also Preferences/Key Board & Mouse.
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

I had a site hosted by 000webhost.com and it also was listed as a spam distribution site for no reason. Doug, you might as well get a domain instead since you have a business.
You are a trainer of siberian huskies? Those dogs look epic man. Can I have one for free? :mrgreen:
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

Can I have one for free?
Had you asked me a month ago, the answer would have been yes, but I sold my last one except for two that are remaining as pets.

I had a domain name but was lax about renewing it and someone else took it. Now it does not seem that critical. I do not really have a business. Linux is just a hobby. I know good hardware. Pretty easy to pick up used computers with good hardware and then wipe windows, if there is a hard drive, and put on Mint. After satisfying the computer needs of my children, grandchildren, inlaws, nephews and nieces, anything left when the laptop pile gets too high I try to sell for whatever I have in them just to try to get more Linux out there. By the way, the relatives have no choice. They take LInux, and just Linux, or they don't get a computer. :D

I do not know the basis for 100webspace, but I do know that I have gotten excellent service from them and I like their sales philosophy. You can buy just the space, or a little more, for a very small cost that you need. Not the usual big space and big cost, or nothing. I have never noticed any down time.
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Last time I had a dog was about 10 years ago. I had 2 hamsters about 3 years ago. Now I have 2 parakeets, they are so funny and cute--sometimes annoying! :mrgreen:
Pretty easy to pick up used computers with good hardware and then wipe windows, if there is a hard drive, and put on Mint.
Nice! I do almost the same thing as you. What I do is keep an eye on the curbs on trash collection day and if I see a computer someone threw out, I bring it back home and I put some distro of Linux on it (based on hardware). For example, I found a really old 1990s computer with an AMD Duron 900MHz processor, 168MB SDRAM, 8MB IGP, 8GB+4.3GB HDDs, and 2 DVD drives. I put Mint 9 LXDE on it and it took really long to load up after installing (about 10 mins to start up), so I installed SliTaz on it instead and it was so FASSSSST (booted up in less than 40 seconds). So what I try to do is educate people about Linux, tell them that just because there's a new version of Windows came out doesn't mean that you have to buy a new computer; put Linux on it and see you computer come back to life! <---That's my hobby--persuading people about switching to Linux.

PS: Try out SliTaz for your next computer that you find, it's pretty awesome once you get to know it. Instead of sudo apt-get install {software}, in SliTaz its subox tazpkg get-install {software} . They seriously need to update their forums though, it's really unorganized. I'm gonna ask them if they can use APT instead of Tazpkg...
felixlizarraga
Level 3
Level 3

Post by felixlizarraga »

Hey man, just wanted to say thanks again (you just helped me make LXDE my new work environment). Your beginner's guide is an awesome resource, just what a newbie like me needs.

I once ran away from Windows to Mac OS, and now am strugglink to break free from the derailed, deranged mess that Apple is rapidly becoming. I had tried Linux before over the years, but I found it too intimidating, and I needed something that worked out of the box. Linux Mint "Lisa" gave me that with its Gnome environment, and now I'm starting to get a feel of the other DEs and learning my way up. Thanks again for your guide.

P.S. Are Siberian huskies aggressive as a breed? I find them incredibly beautiful, but I must say the only dog that has ever attacked me was a Siberian husky. (I'm not counting Chihuahuas, of course. Chihuahuas have a personal beef against my pants.)
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

All show breeds have aggression problems because of too much inbreeding. My dogs were Seppala Siberian Sleddogs, a fork of the Siberian Husky breed. They are (were) very people friendly. We are down to just 2 Seppalas and 2 Chihuahuas, funny you should mention them. So far the Chihuahuas have not critically hurt any of the sled dogs, but it isn't for lack of trying. :D Now they are just house dogs. http://douwil7.100webspace.net/002.jpg
felixlizarraga
Level 3
Level 3

Post by felixlizarraga »

Oh, ho ho! That pic is priceless.

It's a good thing Chihuahuas are the size they are. Otherwise, they would have taken over the world. Although, if I think about it, they have damaged a few pairs of my favorite pants but never ever taken a real nip at my legs.

But then dogs, unless they have been mistreated and/or trained for aggression, are not really vicious animals. I think even the aforementioned husky never meant to really hurt me, just to scare me (to death). Fortunately, although I'm not particularly brave, dogs don't scare me for some reason. I gave the husky a command and he froze, then I ordered him to sit, and that was the end of it.
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Did you know Huskies are one of the smartest breeds of dogs in the world? I think I read on Wikipedia that if you repeat a command between 10-15 times, Huskies will learn to follow it! (compared to I think hundred+ for small dogs like chihuahuas and such)
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

I have added a link to propagandise Araneae, my favourite HTML (& LATEX) editor, which you can also access directly: http://lxlinux.com/araneae.html.
Last edited by seppalta on Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Software & Applications”