D-Link DWA-140 on Mint 11 (Solved)

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jt01

D-Link DWA-140 on Mint 11 (Solved)

Post by jt01 »

xenopeek wrote:Please visit the hardware section on the community site: http://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/

If you select "USB Wireless adapter" in the "Type" field and hit search you get some results. I saw multiple results for Katya (Linux Mint 11).
Based on the recommendations in the link above, I purchased a D-Link DWA 125 to use with Katya on my Acer Aspire One netbook. I have been using Katya for several months with the internal wifi on the Acer, but am upgrading my router to a type N and wanted to get the extra speed. I have been unable to get Katya to recognize the D-Link - have used the following procedures:

Boot the Acer - turn off internal wifi via keyboard - plug in DWA 125 - no response

Plug in DWA 125 - boot - no response to DWA - turn off internal wifi - still no response

I am not sure what I need to do to get the DWA going. Based on the info in this thread, I thought it would be plug it in and Katya would recognize it. I don't think it's a hardware problem because I tried it on a Windows XP machine with good results. Thanks in advance for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jt01

Re: Which wireless USB adapter to get for LM11?

Post by jt01 »

AlbertP wrote:I know somebody who's using a Sitecom dongle with Mint 11 & 12, I think it was the WL-352. The dongle is working perfectly.
That's great, but other info in this thread says the D-Link will also work perfectly. At this point, I'd prefer to continue trying to get it going rather than spending money replacing it. All ideas appreciated - thanks.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Make sure the ath9k_htc module is loaded, in the output of:

Code: Select all

lsmod
Your TP-LINK TL-WN721N uses an Atheros 9271 aka 9002U chip (can you confirm this with lsusb?).
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
jt01

Post by jt01 »

AlbertP wrote:Make sure the ath9k_htc module is loaded, in the output of:

Code: Select all

lsmod
Your TP-LINK TL-WN721N uses an Atheros 9271 aka 9002U chip (can you confirm this with lsusb?).
If you're referring to my posts above, I have a D-Link DWA 125, not a TP-LInk. Would the D-Link use the same driver module or should I be looking for something else? I'm at work right now and the Acer is at home - will run the lsmod later tonight and report back. Thanks.

jt01
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: D-Link DWA-140 on Mint 11

Post by xenopeek »

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The topic got split, and in the old topic the first post was about that TP-Link. Sorry for the confusion.

Which revision of the DWA 125 do you have? Rev. A3 is a Ralink RT5370 chip, for which experimental support was introduced with Mint 12. Rev. A1 and A2 are Ralink RT3070, which has been supported since Mint 11.
jt01

Re: D-Link DWA 125 problem

Post by jt01 »

AlbertP wrote:The topic got split, and in the old topic the first post was about that TP-Link. Sorry for the confusion.

Which revision of the DWA 125 do you have?
Will check on version when I get home in a few hours and post back. Thanks for the reply and I'm also sorry about the confusion.
jt01

Post by jt01 »

jt01 wrote:
AlbertP wrote:
Which revision of the DWA 125 do you have?
Will check on version when I get home in a few hours and post back. Thanks for the reply and I'm also sorry about the confusion.
Gentlemen,

I am truly embarrassed. The Ebay auction listing said D-Link DWA-125 - closer inspection shows they actually sent me a DWA-140. I'm following up with the Ebay seller - hopefully I'll either get a DWA-125 or my money refunded. If not, a negative review is in the offing. Thanks for your help and I apologize for the hassle.

jt01
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Perhaps we can get the DWA-140 working as well. This one also has a lot of different revisions, using different Ralink types. B1 & C1 (B3 as well?) are RT2870, B2 is RT3072, those chips are both working from Mint 12 on, with some support already present in Mint 11.

Please post what revision of DWA-140 you use. If you don't know it, please post the lsusb output.
jt01

Post by jt01 »

AlbertP wrote:Perhaps we can get the DWA-140 working as well. Please post what revision of DWA-140 you use.
The DWA-140 is a B2 version - the RT3072. I'm willing to give it a try, even if it means installing Mint 12 (I'm using 11 now) - there's nothing critical on my Acer Aspire One and I'm willing to wipe it if necessary. Let me know how to proceed - thanks for your interest.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You can also just upgrade the kernel instead of upgrading (and possibly screwing up...) your whole Mint system: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=40185&f=42
Please try the just released 3.2.5 kernel.
jt01

Post by jt01 »

AlbertP wrote:You can also just upgrade the kernel instead of upgrading (and possibly screwing up...) your whole Mint system: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=40185&f=42
Please try the just released 3.2.5 kernel.
I upgraded to 3.2.5 as requested. The DWA-140 now shows up in lsusb and as wireless interface 1, but I'm a bit of a newb and am not sure how to get the DWA-140 to connect. I shut off the builtin wifi and plugged in the DWA-140, but didn't get any response. The lsusb output is as follows - looks like the DWA-140 is an RT2870 instead of a 3072 as mentioned previously:

jim@jim-AOD255E ~ $ lsusb
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 07d1:3c0a D-Link System DWA-140 RangeBooster N Adapter(rev.B2) [Ralink RT2870]
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0cf2:6250 ENE Technology, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04f2:b1d8 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Thanks again for all the help - looks like I'm still one step away.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Can't you now click the network's name, after clicking the network icon in the tray?

The device names of lsusb are often wrong, because they can be submitted by everyone (at https://usb-ids.gowdy.us/) and aren't really moderated.
This page told it was RT3072: http://wikidevi.com/wiki/D-Link_DWA-140_rev_B2

But RT2870 or RT3072 does not really matter; both should work well with modern kernel versions.
jt01

Post by jt01 »

AlbertP wrote:Can't you now click the network's name, after clicking the network icon in the tray?
I booted up with the DWA-140 and clicked on the network icon. It does recognize the DWA, but says the firmware is missing. I disconnected my internal wifi and tried to connect through the DWA. It did attempt to connect, but was not successful - the icon just kept swirling until it timed out and brought up a dialog box with password, etc. and connect or cancel options. Clicking on connect just kept the icon swirling and repeated reboots and connection attempts would only work with the internal wifi. At this point, I'm not sure how to proceed. I did contact the Ebay seller, and he sent me a prepaid mailer and will refund my money as soon as the return is received because his mistake caused me to get the DWA-140 in the first place, so I do have that option. It may be I'm just missing some little thing, but I don't know what. If you have any more ideas, I'll give it a try, otherwise back goes the DWA-140. I appreciate the help - thanks once again.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Firmware is missing? Oh yes, your linux-firmware package is still the one from the old kernel...

I think you can download the firmware here and put it in the /lib/firmware folder: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/g ... rt2870.bin
To paste it in that folder, go to the file manager, click Filesystem at the left, open the lib folder, then open firmware as administrator by right-clicking it, and then you can paste the file.

That file is for RT2870 and RT3070; there's no specific RT3072 file so I guess the RT3072 (if your card is a 3072) uses this file as well, or the RT3071 file: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/g ... rt3071.bin
jt01

Post by jt01 »

I downloaded both firmware files mentioned above, but the size of the files was zero bytes - is this correct? There was a "Gemerating" message in the browser window, but the filesize never increased. Thanks again for your time and effort.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Oops, the filesize is 0 bytes at me as well...

Here's a newer linux-firmware package (the one which is going to be used along with the 3.2 kernel in Ubuntu 12.04 and Mint 13, so it must include the firmware you need with that kernel): http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/all/ ... e/download

Installing that .deb file by double-clicking it is perhaps easier than downloading & copying files from a website which doesn't even work.
jt01

Post by jt01 »

AlbertP wrote:Oops, the filesize is 0 bytes at me as well....
Success at last !! In fact, I'm writing this through the DWA-140. Installed the firmware package, plugged in the DWA and things started working. Turned off the internal wifi through the network icon and the DWA was on its own, working well with a 54mb connection (the N router mentioned previously has not been installed yet). I did find that physically turning off the internal wifi with the FN-F3 key combination caused both it and the DWA to disconnect, but I can use the software method. Thanks once again for your time and patience.
felipe1982
Level 2
Level 2

Post by felipe1982 »

This is one of the top hits on google for the 125. However, the [SOLUTION] is not for the 125. Can the post title be changed?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: D-Link DWA-140 on Mint 11 (Solved)

Post by xenopeek »

As per request of felipe1982 and AlbertP, updated the subject of the topic.

Return to “Networking”