Raise to Root User

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
A Future Pilot

Raise to Root User

Post by A Future Pilot »

So one thing that has always bothered me is when I'm editing a file (whether in nano or gedit or whatever) and then it comes time to save it, and I realize that I'm not running it as root. Would it be possible to make an applet that could give a running application root privileges? Maybe something like the force kill applet, except when you click the window it raises to root. (And if you click a terminal window, any programming running in the terminal raises to root.)

Is that even possible?

Thanks!
viking777

Re: Raise to Root User

Post by viking777 »

You are absolutely right, it should exist, the fact that it doesn't must mean you and I are missing something I think.

If you are using gedit for instance it should be under File>Save As>Save as Root User.

And providing it requires you to enter your password I can think of no reason why it doesn't exist already.

Just as importantly it should exist in the terminal as well, maybe in the form File>Repeat Command as Root User.

But it doesn't so there has to be a reason I guess?
HughT

Re: Raise to Root User

Post by HughT »

Yes, I've had the same problem. Viking 777's solution is neat. What I do is to save a copy as a user on my desk-top and close, then with a right click, select 'Open as Administrator', and save where I wanted it in the first place.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”