Cinnamon Themes

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cinnamon Themes

Post by roger64 »

@mordant23

Thank you for your initiative. I'll be so keen to try it any time. :mrgreen:
mordant23

Post by mordant23 »

roger64 wrote:@mordant23

Thank you for your initiative. I'll be so keen to try it any time. :mrgreen:
Feel free to download the zip file from github. The theme is usable with almost everything translated from the gnome shell port. Now comes the hard part of deciding how to translate the panel background, window list, favorites, etc. I'd be happy to hear any feedback and suggestions you have. I'm enjoying the challenge of translating the theme.

What do you think of the differences between the Orta gnome-shell theme versus Orta Gnome classic theme?
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

I am stunned that there isn't a red theme made yet. There was a gtk2 theme that was black and the open window list in the panel would be highlighted red but I cannot think of the name of it.
mordant23

Post by mordant23 »

z06gal wrote:I am stunned that there isn't a red theme made yet. There was a gtk2 theme that was black and the open window list in the panel would be highlighted red but I cannot think of the name of it.
That was nice for differentiating windows opened with root. I've missed it too. I haven't found a way to give root it's own theme yet in cinnamon, but I haven't tried that hard. And when I say I haven't tried, what I mean is that one time I noticed that root's icons were different from my own and said, "That's cool. I wondered what happened?" ;)
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

Hi

In Gnome2, root had its own themes and icons, in /root/.themes and /root/.icons. I do not know if they changed it with Gnome3

@mordant23

The light Orta theme for Cinnamon is in working order. I will have to complete it, I think, with the Gnome3 theme to get the full experience. I will wait for that to get the dark theme. :D

Thank you very much
lurkatron

Post by lurkatron »

can someone tell me where the system tray icons are stored? you know network manager, volume applet, weather and all, those that have the same colour and design. i cant find them anywhere. and i dont mean the tray app icons such as pidgin and liferea if you get my point...
mordant23

Post by mordant23 »

lurkatron wrote:can someone tell me where the system tray icons are stored? you know network manager, volume applet, weather and all, those that have the same colour and design. i cant find them anywhere. and i dont mean the tray app icons such as pidgin and liferea if you get my point...
Do you mean the icons themselves or do you mean where in the stylesheet are they stored? I believe the icons are stored in the icon theme folder because whenever I change icon themes, I see the system tray icons, e.g. sound and network, change. To be honest I'm not sure exactly what the icons are named but if you poke around in the icon folders you should find them. The icon folder is located in either /usr/share/icons or ~/.icons. The stylesheet property is .system-tray-icon .
mordant23

Post by mordant23 »

[quote="roger64"

@mordant23

The light Orta theme for Cinnamon is in working order. I will have to complete it, I think, with the Gnome3 theme to get the full experience. I will wait for that to get the dark theme. :D

Thank you very much[/quote]

I'm glad you like it. The latest version at github fixed the problem with the background drawn outside of borders in the popup windows, and the panel buttons (menu, calendar, weather extension button) are done. It's not completely ready for the full release but it's pretty much the same as the Gnome Shell port. I just need to do the panel launchers and the window list before I put it up. Unfortunately I've had to set it aside to work on some other things but I should have it done over the weekend.
outfieldgrass

Post by outfieldgrass »

I have been going between Eleganse, Flax and Minty. Right now I think Minty will stay for awhile.
mordant23

Post by mordant23 »

Orta Cinnamon Light 0.6.1 is available at Cinnamon Spices. You can also download from my repository ppa:mordant23/themes. Edit: The repo build should be available in about an hour for oneiric. It's already uploaded. I'll upload the precise version soon. Edit2: I'm stumped on how to upload the precise version. There's really no change between precise and oneiric version of the theme. For now I'll just leave things as they are and try to learn more about the packaging system. Edit3: corrected 0.6.2 version uploaded to repository. should be available in a couple hours. Finally figured out how to get a copy to Precise series. Easier than I thought!

Orta Cinnamon Light is a port of Gnome Shell Orta to Cinnamon.

Gnome Shell Orta written by *half-left

Orta written by SkiesOfAzel

You can get the gtk3 by following the instructions here.

As always feedback, corrections, and suggestions are always welcome!
To install from repo:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-apt-respositry ppa:mordant23/themes
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install orta-cinnamon-light-theme
To install from zipball

Extract zip file to the themes directory. Theme directory is usually:

/usr/share/themes for system wide installation or

~/.themes for individual installation

After installation, use Cinnamon Settings to choose Orta

Edit: corrected instructions for installation. Thanks Rehdon!
Last edited by mordant23 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

The first line of your commands is wrong, should be as follows:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mordant23/themes
Rehdon
mordant23

Post by mordant23 »

Rehdon wrote:The first line of your commands is wrong, should be as follows:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mordant23/themes
Rehdon
Corrected! Now off to correct the instructions elsewhere. I swear today is the day of typos for me. Thanks a bunch!
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Finally got my act together and finished some themes:

http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes/view/36

http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes/view/38

Already 30+ themes available on the official themes site - at this rate there will be 500 themes in a few years' time :D
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

bimsebasse wrote:Finally got my act together and finished some themes:
Wow, so smooth and beautiful.
Your Loky theme makes me feel like at some kind of ultra-polished Crunchbang desktop.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Cheers esteban :D
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Beautiful work, bimmsebasse.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Daniel4lm

Post by Daniel4lm »

Wonderful, I was just wondering what happened with your light cinnamon theme. Only boldly forward :D
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Cheers guys - Daniel I'm a big fan of ElementaryOS, that's just plainly the coolest theme for Cinnamon at the moment. You should include a "Mint" version, basically identical except the blue highlighting is Mint green. Also, I've begun to port some other GS themes to Cinnamon and will just mention my todo-list here in case you're working on some of them and I don't need to: Ubuntu Ambiance, Zuktiwo, Nord and Holo
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

One thing I've noticed about Cinnamon only themes is that unless a gnome-shell version is included in the theme files, only the panel, menu, pop-ups, etc are themed and not the rest of the DE (windows, window borders, highlighting, etc). A good example of this is the "Chocolatte" theme (downloaded from Guthub "/Cinnamon-themes") which includes both Cinnamon and gnome-shell themes in the Chocolatte theme directory so once installed, you can choose the theme in Cinnamon settings which themes the Panel and pop-ups, etc and then you can select the same theme in Gnome Tweak (Advanced Settings) and the rest of the Cinnamon DE is themed accordingly as well.

Or is it because there's a GTK3 folder in the "Chocolatte" theme folder that makes the difference and not the gnome-shell folder?

A similar example is if I select the "ElementaryOS" Cinnamon theme (Cinnamon only theme), the highlighting for selected items in Nautilus, highlighting text is still green. I can work around that by opening Gnome Tweak and selecting "Adwaita" as GTK+ Theme instead of "Mint-Z" which changes highlighting to a similar blue. But if I select the "Reality" Cinnamon theme, there's no way to theme the rest of the DE.

I'm not complaining at all, just mentioning and I hope I'm being clear in my description. To be truthful, I think I'm very confused about the whole thing. :)
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

bim, how did you get your desktop like that? The bar in the middle reminds me of Windows 7 layout. I like the way you have that :wink:

Robin

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”