Cinnamon Themes

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: Cinnamon Themes

Postby z06gal on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:07 pm

bim, how did you get your desktop like that? The bar in the middle reminds me of Windows 7 layout. I like the way you have that :wink:

Robin
z06gal
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby bimsebasse on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:07 pm

Yep, only a few Cinnamon themes have included gtk styling. It's hard work - making a Cinnamon theme takes a few hours if you're fast, a gtk theme is bit of a project (unless you're just slightly tweaking an existing theme).
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Postby bimsebasse on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:09 pm

z06gal wrote:bim, how did you get your desktop like that? The bar in the middle reminds me of Windows 7 layout. I like the way you have that :wink:

Robin

Gimp :D It's not an actual desktop screenshot, it's an ehh collage of theme elements.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Postby kmb42vt on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:13 pm

bimsebasse wrote:Yep, only a few Cinnamon themes have included gtk styling. It's hard work - making a Cinnamon theme takes a few hours if you're fast, a gtk theme is bit of a project (unless you're just slightly tweaking an existing theme).

Ah, okay then. Thanks for letting me know. Unfortunately for me and despite having 30 years in computers and such, I was never quite able to wrap my head around the programming end of things. I've always regretted that.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Postby bimsebasse on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:28 pm

It's just a matter of looking at the theme files and finding out what bit does what by a bit of web research, trial and error and comparing with other themes. Gtk theming is a chore because it takes ages to complete a well constructed original theme, but the coding itself is relatively straightforward.
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Rehdon on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:52 pm

bimsebasse wrote:Daniel I'm a big fan of ElementaryOS, that's just plainly the coolest theme for Cinnamon at the moment.

Agreed 100%, I love it for its blue highlights too :) Any suggestions for a matching GTK+3 theme?

Rehdon
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Postby bimsebasse on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:07 pm

Boomerang Deux is a good match

Also Hope
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Daniel4lm on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:25 pm

bimsebasse wrote:Cheers guys - Daniel I'm a big fan of ElementaryOS, that's just plainly the coolest theme for Cinnamon at the moment. You should include a "Mint" version, basically identical except the blue highlighting is Mint green. Also, I've begun to port some other GS themes to Cinnamon and will just mention my todo-list here in case you're working on some of them and I don't need to: Ubuntu Ambiance, Zuktiwo, Nord and Holo

Hmm, I'll try to make a Mint version of ElementaryOS theme. Good to hear that you porting more theme, I don't currently work on the themes.

bimsebasse wrote:Boomerang Deux is a good match

Also Hope

Hit. I used this topic some time ago.

kmb42vt wrote:One thing I've noticed about Cinnamon only themes is that unless a gnome-shell version is included in the theme files, only the panel, menu, pop-ups, etc are themed and not the rest of the DE (windows, window borders, highlighting, etc). A good example of this is the "Chocolatte" theme (downloaded from Guthub "/Cinnamon-themes") which includes both Cinnamon and gnome-shell themes in the Chocolatte theme directory so once installed, you can choose the theme in Cinnamon settings which themes the Panel and pop-ups, etc and then you can select the same theme in Gnome Tweak (Advanced Settings) and the rest of the Cinnamon DE is themed accordingly as well.

Or is it because there's a GTK3 folder in the "Chocolatte" theme folder that makes the difference and not the gnome-shell folder?

A similar example is if I select the "ElementaryOS" Cinnamon theme (Cinnamon only theme), the highlighting for selected items in Nautilus, highlighting text is still green. I can work around that by opening Gnome Tweak and selecting "Adwaita" as GTK+ Theme instead of "Mint-Z" which changes highlighting to a similar blue. But if I select the "Reality" Cinnamon theme, there's no way to theme the rest of the DE.

I'm not complaining at all, just mentioning and I hope I'm being clear in my description. To be truthful, I think I'm very confused about the whole thing. :)

Cinnamon/Gnome shell themes are just for shell, and the rest of the DE is shown using the GTK 2/3 engine.
Daniel4lm
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Rehdon on Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:36 am

bimsebasse wrote:Boomerang Deux is a good match

Also Hope

Thanks a lot, I've gone for the original Boomerang theme ;)

Rehdon
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Postby bimsebasse on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:30 pm

(Please don't crucify me) I created an Ubuntu theme :)

http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes/view/41
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Postby kmb42vt on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:44 pm

bimsebasse wrote:(Please don't crucify me) I created an Ubuntu theme :)

http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes/view/41

Looks okay to me. No crucification required. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Postby grumpyoldman on Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:35 am

Some help please.
I have Cinnamon 1.2 installed. I have tried to change my theme following the instructions, ie, extract to ~/.themes but when I try to change in cinnamon settings only the default theme is offered.
What am I doing wrong? & if not, why can't I change?
I know it's not a big deal but?
Thanks
grumpyoldman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby eyjay1991 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:25 am

grumpyoldman wrote:Some help please.
I have Cinnamon 1.2 installed. I have tried to change my theme following the instructions, ie, extract to ~/.themes but when I try to change in cinnamon settings only the default theme is offered.
What am I doing wrong? & if not, why can't I change?
I know it's not a big deal but?
Thanks

Yes, this is also my problem. Any insights?
eyjay1991
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Oscar799 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:35 am

One thing that could be causing this is if the theme is "double wrapped" i.e a compressed file inside another compressed file.
In your ~/.themes file right click on the theme you installed and choose "Extract Here" then check again in Cinnamon Settings and see if it has appeared
"Don't fix it if it ain't broken,don't break it if you can't fix it" Husse
Registered Linux User #511789
Oscar799
Level 18
Level 18

Postby kherring7383 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:20 am

The first question I have, is does this work under Gnome Shell?

The reason I ask is because Gnome Shell requires an extension to allow using themes in the ~/.themes folder.
You may want to install this extension first and then restart the shell and see if the theme is listed.

The link to the extension is https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/19/user-themes/

Good luck.
kherring7383
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bimsebasse on Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:08 pm

Cinnamon has theme support out of the box. Moving a Gnome Shell extension unmodified into a Cinnamon folder will at best do nothing.
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Daniel4lm on Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:16 pm

I uploaded my themes (elegans, dark glass and ElementaryOS) for Cinnamon 1.3. Themes in Cinnamon 1.3 look a little different, because everything on the panel is actually treated as a applet.
Daniel4lm
Level 2
Level 2

Postby kmb42vt on Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:24 pm

Daniel4lm wrote:I uploaded my themes (elegans, dark glass and ElementaryOS) for Cinnamon 1.3. Themes in Cinnamon 1.3 look a little different, because everything on the panel is actually treated as a applet.

I'm seeing Eleganse and ElementaryOS for Cinnamon 1.3 (thanks, by the way) but no Dark Glass on the Themes page of the Cinnamon site. Just saying. :)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Daniel4lm on Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:13 pm

kmb42vt wrote:
Daniel4lm wrote:I uploaded my themes (elegans, dark glass and ElementaryOS) for Cinnamon 1.3. Themes in Cinnamon 1.3 look a little different, because everything on the panel is actually treated as a applet.

I'm seeing Eleganse and ElementaryOS for Cinnamon 1.3 (thanks, by the way) but no Dark Glass on the Themes page of the Cinnamon site. Just saying. :)

Sorry, I forgot to put on the site. You can download it from gnome-look.org.
Daniel4lm
Level 2
Level 2

Postby te7 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:20 am

Dark-glass is broken in cinnamon 1.3. The information in the lower right corner is too low, and the update icon is too big. I'm using the weather extension, if that makes a difference. You get this if you choose dark-glass, logout then log back in.
te7
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Themes, Icons, & Wallpaper