installing packages without internet?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Re: installing packages without internet?

Post by MagnusB »

Yes, you could download .deb packages manually, both from Ubuntu and removed. However, it can be a pain monitoring dependencies and such by your own, and updates could be hard. I would suggest buying Ubuntu Repo DVD, if you can, if you are offline anyway, updates will not matter very much...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Fred

Post by Fred »

Not trying to discourage you from using Mint, but I don't get it. Why would you want to run Mint, or any flavor of linux for that matter, when all of the programs you named run natively on windows, but most must be run under wine on Linux?

If you aren't going to get the security, speed, privacy and other advantages of Linux, why bother? I just don't understand. Of course I don't guess I really need to. :-)

Enjoy

Fred
Fred

Post by Fred »

Sorry, but I don't know a trusted source for any of the programs you mentioned except wine. You can get that through the Mint software portal in your Mint menu. You need to read up on using wine though. Some stuff runs pretty solidly though a bit slower on wine. Other things will give problems that at times can be insurmountable. Since I am not familiar with the programs you mentioned, I can't tell you how you will do.

Good luck,

Fred
Fred

Post by Fred »

pingu_dan,

I using a usb connected Ambit U10C018 Data Cable Modem to connect to a cable service @ 5 M hz down and 512 K hz up. I am using dhcp.

It is nothing special. It was supplied with the cable service. I didn't choose it.

Enjoy,

Fred
Fred

Post by Fred »

That is correct. You can use the Ethernet port on your computer to connect to the modem.

Fred

Return to “Beginner Questions”