*Solved* Wired ethernet not working, wireless working

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
blwnv8

*Solved* Wired ethernet not working, wireless working

Post by blwnv8 »

I just got linux mint installed on a destop that I've completely removed windows from. I'm running just fine with a wireless connection with this computer but when I try to change over to a wired connection it connects but I have no internet. I can visit google with the wired connection and search for something. But if I try clicking on one of the search items or type say linuxmint.com it won't do anything. I'm new the the mint thing but used to use unbuntu back in the day. I'd much rather run wired since I already have a cable run to that room. I have a verizon fios wireless router with 4 wired connections and other stuff runs fine off the wired connections. Thanks

Edit: When I connected the wireless adapter I still had problems with firefox running slow or not at all. I managed to get chromium installed and it works much better. But if I switch to the wired connection neither browser works. So I assume that even though it says wired connected, I don't have a connection.

Edit: Got it working.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hellfire695

Re: Wired ethernet not working, wireless working just fine

Post by hellfire695 »

try running this
sudo apt-get install dhcpcd
dhcpcd eth0
blwnv8

Post by blwnv8 »

hellfire695 wrote:try running this
dhcpcd eth0
Thanks. I moved the computer into the room it was going in. Hooked up my 10/100 switch to share internet between my desktop, laptop and xbox 360 and it worked right away. Didn't have to change anything.
dindongkas

Post by dindongkas »

Hi I have the same problem as described. And I tried your suggestions and it worked better than before (still had a lag some time), except the second command line should be 'sudo dhcpcd eth0', otherwise it wouldn't work properly. thanks a lot.
hellfire695 wrote:try running this
dhcpcd eth0

Return to “Networking”