[SOLVED] How to get Samsung CLP-300 printer working?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
den@shibuya

[SOLVED] How to get Samsung CLP-300 printer working?

Post by den@shibuya »

My CLP-300 "just worked" in Ubuntu (64-bit), but it's giving me trouble on LMDE (also 64-bit).

When I plugged it in, Mint detected it and offered to install, but a different model (350 instead of 300). I agreed and it installed but wouldn't print.

I googled around and tried this suggestion which claims success with a package called hannah-foo2zjs. This package removed CUPS, so I was not able to follow further. Uninstalled hannah-foo2zjs and restored whatever had been removed.

My second angle of attack was to try foo2qpdl. I folowed the INSTALL instructions and it resulted in successful installation and printing:

At this point I almost declared victory, but when I tried to make the printer "default" (instead of the PDF printer). It stopped printing. When I made the PDF default, my CLP-300 started printing again. Then after a couple of printing jobs it stopped printing. By stopped I mean the job goes into printing queue, the green light on the printer flashes for a sec, the job disappears from the queue and no printing happens. I requested a test page from cups (at the localhost web interface) and it printed. After this I was able to print normally again but only a couple times before the jobs stopped going through.

At this point I went back to the INSTALL instructions and noticed that down the page it says:

Code: Select all

DEBIAN NOTES
------------
    Install build-essential, tix, foomatic-filters, groff, cupsys, dc FIRST
Which, of course, I didn't do first, because it wasn't what the instructions started with. So I did it second. It didn't seem to help anything. So I removed and reinstalled everything in the suggested order and now I'm back to square zero because cups detects no printer at all. :lol:

What do I do now?
Last edited by den@shibuya on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: How to get Samsung CLP-300 printer working?

Post by AlbertP »

There is a much easier .deb file containing this driver, which doesn't need compiling. But unfortunately OpenPrinting.org is already down for some 2-3 months and I couldn't find the file elsewhere.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
den@shibuya

Post by den@shibuya »

So, I must have foobared something. Tried to reinstall again, now CUPS only detects a PDF printer. What can I do?

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Does it work better when you use the normal Add Printer (Printing in the menu) instead of CUPS?
den@shibuya

Post by den@shibuya »

AlbertP wrote:Does it work better when you use the normal Add Printer (Printing in the menu) instead of CUPS?
I tried the Add Printer option, entered usb://Samsung/CLP-300?serial=3H66BAFQ303692P as Device URI and pointed to the PPD file that I had in the foo2qpdl package. This added the printer but it doesn't work. The job in the queue just says "Processing" indefinitely. My suspicion is that some packages are messed up, I just don't know what to do next.

I noticed I have this package with an exclamation mark. If I click "Mark for Upgrade" it wants to delete everything related to CUPS.

DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Try this sequence to get the driver, you already should have the files: you have downloaded..
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... an-896667/
  • I then went to http://localhost:631 and when installing the printer I searched the ppd files and found /usr/share/ppd/foo2zjs/Samsung-CLP-300.ppd.gz. I had to look for this because the default choice was incorrect. After selecting it and setting up the printer, everything worked well.
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=71428
If the 64bit driver/package doesn't work for you, you might consider using a 32bit driver, it won't make much difference to printing, since a 64bit system can support 32bit applications quite well
--anytime I have a 64bit system with issues, I will always try the 32bit program to make sure of the status..
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You shouldn't point to the device URI in Add Printer. You should just click your printer at the left.
If it isn't detected at all, please run lsusb to confirm that it's still connected.
den@shibuya

Post by den@shibuya »

AlbertP wrote:You shouldn't point to the device URI in Add Printer. You should just click your printer at the left.
If it isn't detected at all, please run lsusb to confirm that it's still connected.
When I deleted the printer and tried to add it again there was no printer at the left, that's why I tried the URI manuallly.
lsusb output:

Code: Select all

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04e8:3272 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd 
The printer is connected. It prints fine when I boot to Windows.
To recap:
* the printer worked perfectly in Ubuntu 64bit out of the box, in fact I didn't even know what CUPS was because "it just worked".
* it didn't print on LMDE default settings (installed as CLP-350 model because there was no 300 option)
* it printed with the foo2qpdl package but somewhat unreliably
* I tinkered with it and must have broken something. LMDE used to detect the printer but doesn't any more.

What did I manage to foobar in LMDE?
faffmeister
Level 1
Level 1

Post by faffmeister »

Not sure if you've got quite the same problem but this may be of some help:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... js#p479005
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I have no idea where this post should really go, it could go here, it could go in 'Desktops' it could even go in 'How to' but anyway this is where I have put it, feel free to move it if you want.

The new gnome3 'settings' program is difficult to describe without resorting to swear words, it is so minimal and useless - even compared to the program it replaced - and that wasn't particularly good - that you are left breathless with astonishment that something this poor could be allowed into a major desktop environment. One of the deficient entries that I have just had a run in with is the 'Printers' entry. Now this is really brilliant, it allows you to view already known printers, and that is it, end of story. At least the Gnome 2 'Printing' entry allowed you to add printers that weren't already known. It may not have done it very well but at least it tried, which is more than the new one does.

As it is so idiotically deficient there is only one option if you want to add a printer to gnome3 that is either new or not detected, and that is the Cups web interface. If you don't know already, you access this by typing localhost:631 into a browser address bar. If you want to add a printer you click on 'Adding Printers' then 'Add Printer' in the next page. It will then ask you for your username and password. Being Mint users you will then type your username and password as I did. You will then be locked out of the cups interface with a less than helpful 'Forbidden' message.

To get rid of this I actually had to reboot my computer. I would have thought that closing the browser down would have been enough but it wasn't. So here is the reason for this post. Your username is 'root'. It is not what you think your username is, I repeat it is 'root' without the index marks. Your password is your normal user password.

Having learned this it is possible to add almost any kind of printer through this excellent interface ( I have hplip and I can tell you it is an awful lot more use than that ).

So lesson over, I wish it hadn't taken me so long to learn it.
den@shibuya

Post by den@shibuya »

faffmeister wrote:Not sure if you've got quite the same problem but this may be of some help:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... js#p479005
Indeed it helped and I can finally print! Thank you. You get Mint Points! (There are Mint Points, right?...) :mrgreen:
Ellwood

Re: [SOLVED] How to get Samsung CLP-300 printer working?

Post by Ellwood »

Here is my solution:

The right driver for Samsumg CLP-300 is foo2qpdl but it is not possible to install it on LMDE alongside CUPS because there is a dependency problem with CUPS and foo2zjs. (Bug??????)

So! I downloaded the drivers and followed the instructions from http://foo2qpdl.rkkda.com/ and problem solved.

The big trick is:

make

make install

and more important

make cups

Good bye dependency issues and the printer is working out as expected.
mmft1359

Post by mmft1359 »

Hi
There is a simple solution.
It works for me with samsung ML-1610 printer.
I think it will work for you too.
The solution is:
apt-get install --reinstall libgs9

Be happy.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

mmft1359, please realize that you are posting to a very old topic (more than a year old) about a different printer model. The forum rules tell you that you should not resurrect a topic over 6 months old.

Return to “LMDE Archive”