"Input not supported" error: can't get into anything!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sweetmiracle

"Input not supported" error: can't get into anything!

Post by sweetmiracle »

Please help!

I installed LM 12 over a month ago, and it has been working fine. Came down this morning and found that the screen goes black after the bios screen and then an "input not supported" message bounces around the screen. Nothing else happens.

I tried to use shift to get into the grub menu, but it does not work. I tried a different monitor: the error message went to "frequency out of range", but nothing else was different.

I'm using LM 12 32 bit ; 2 gig of RAM with a Phenom2 Quad core processor and onboard Nividia graphics. I've been using Linux for a while but I'm not that great with system modification. I have a very limited amount of terminal experience, so be nice!

I work at home on this computer, so it's really important. Thanks for considering!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: "Input not supported" error: can't get into anything!

Post by viking777 »

Really at a loss to understand that. I have not seen the "input not supported" message before. I know you have already tried another monitor, but have you tried another cable as well? It sounds like it might be a hardware issue, but are you sure you haven't been messing around with screen resolutions or something like that? You must forgive me if I don't quite buy the "it happened automagically whilst I was asleep" explanation, it isn't part of reality. Either your hardware has failed (like graphics card or cables) or it is something you did before you went to sleep and have maybe forgotten about.
EarthSongWoman

Re: "Input not supported" error: can't get into anything!

Post by EarthSongWoman »

Did you find an answer to this? I have the same (well similar) problem. My linux (mint 12) machine wouldn't reboot as the power supply and/or motherboard had broken - I put the hard drive into another computer (windows on its usual HD) and tried to boot up from the linux HD. This was the error I got on my moniter and also it seems as if the keyboard is not being recognised either - anyone have any advice on how I might resolve this? I want to at least get the data off the disk, though at best to be able to use this disk as the OS etc... Perhaps this isn't the way to go to achieve this?

I am not very skilled with the Linux os (as maybe obvious) but am happy learning. Thank you for any help you can give me..

Return to “Installation & Boot”