KDE stable release

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
akshunj

Re: KDE stable release

Post by akshunj »

I think we've had some great dialog here. I just wonder if the right people are reading this thread. Open source is cool because it draws power from the collective. And *this* collective sounds ready to pitch-in for future Mint KDE efforts...

*Boo, I get that bandwidth is expensive, but I personally think that bittorrent-only alphas and betas are fine. The point is to expand the testing base and open up the process. Sure some people can't do torrents, but there will always be final release ISO's for those folks. Torrents releases are a good start.

*A "bugzilla" type of bug-tracking system would be a good thing in conjunction with the frequent torrent releases. I think Clem actually uses one, but I'm not sure non-devs can hit it. I remember seeing one in the Bianca days, with bugs listed according to severity, along with which beta addressed which bug. It would be awesome if he opened this up instead of using forum threads...

*Inviting the community to take on certain jobs would also be a good thing. Wiki, blog updates, bug tracking, what have you. Operators are standing by...

--Akshun J
akshunj

Post by akshunj »

belovedmonster wrote:
roadrash wrote:
Edit: I just started the torrent going to see what happened and after a few minutes there were 27 seeders and 5 peers. Seems like a fine connection to me. Maybe not super fast with those numbers but fast enough to complete in a reasonable time.
So where is this torrent?
It's the first link on the download page for Mint 4.0 :? :?
Depending on roadrash's router settings and bittorrent client, he may not be seeing all the seeders. Again, I think bittorrent is not for everyone, but it will CERTAINLY increase the testing pool...

--Akshun J
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

The 1st beta is where the apps are set and won't change.
There seems to be a problem with the tracker and it hasn't been fixed.(works with DHT on)
The lastest news on KDE CE
http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=132
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Since Mint 5 isnt really going to add much new and is more of a polish release to take advantage of Ubuntu's LTS status; I think it is also the perfect opportunity to address all these community concerns.

Mint has done amazing things considering it is the work of a few individuals in particular the mighty Clem. But the time has come now where they need to leverage more of the community in order to push things forward.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

You are not alone in wanting more transparency though.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

naturalblue wrote:Hey, I didn't mean to start a big conversation on the subject or get anybody's feckles up or re-arrange the way Mint does it development cycle. I'd just keep hearing good things coming up about new betas but can't get my hands on them, when I really wan't to test out the new minty goodness. If Mint decides to keep internal betas, no problem, I can live with that, but I still do think for it to be a community edition, the community should be involved at every step. I'm not saying anything about the project. In fact, it is the first distro of Linux that has allowed me to completely free myself of Windows. SO thank you for that.
The internal betas are for quality control reasons.
This makes sure the old bugs were fixed and no new bugs aren't added.

The latest update is that beta041 had a few bugs and now Boo is working on Beta042.
It shouldn't be to long before this is sent to Exploder for testing.
Then hopefully released to the Community for testing.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

The internal betas are for quality control reasons.
This makes sure the old bugs were fixed and no new bugs aren't added
This sums things up very well. I understand many are anxious for the next release and looking forward to it, this is a good thing!
I think you are missing the point.... A community release is not under the control of one person.... The community has a say in it.... This is not the case......

Not a slam as Boo does an awesome job for a one-person release.... Just an observation....
Boo has asked many times about what was to be included in the KDE Community Edition and has done a fine job in meeting the needs of the community. There is a great deal involved in building a community edition and it is carefully checked to ensure you get a quality release. Boo has always looked at the community response to the KDE edition and he goes above and beyond to respond to questions and comments about the KDE edition. The community has involvement.

I can understand the anticipation for the KDE Community Edition. I did not see the blog but it will not be long.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

A release costs a lot of time (sync with mirrors, announcements, release notes..etc) and it's also a deliverable (ie. a product which can be used by the public, which bares our name and which quality has an impact on our image). So for these reasons an ISO is only released once it reaches a certain level of quality (a battery of pre-defined tests, the "exploding" process, my own tests..etc). BETA041 had two noticeable problems:

- Window borders problem when launching Compiz
- Ndisgtk wouldn't run.

These problems are now fixed in BETA 042 which should be uploaded in the hours/days to come. As soon as this is done the ISO will be "exploded" and tested again.

The reason why this is not transparent is because it's not that interesting to talk about bugs you'll never get to see and basically it won't be released until it's completely ready... no matter how long this takes. You can tell by the build number.. Boo is working hard on this. Exploder is being extremely prompt and responsive and I have no doubt we should see this second beta released very soon.

Also, I can tell you by the look of that BETA that there won't be a big gap between its release and the STABLE release. If we're lucky it might even be the same ISO.

Clem
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rcdeacon »

I for one am looking forward to the next beta (042). I do prefer kde over gnome.
Neither is there in any other: for there is no other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12.
Dell Dimension 4600, 1g, Nvidia 5500, Mint 4.0, Mepis 7.0, XP
Acer Aspire 5002 WLMi, 1g, Sis 760, Mint 4.0
gman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gman »

Great job with Mint and the KDE edition. I think the testing process if fine. Why follow the method of many distros which keep providing bug filled alphas and betas if the developers already have a process to find bugs. The ndisgtk bug would have been a killer, so a release with that bug would have made Mint look very bad. Better to hold off and fix a ndisgtk bug than to release with a ndisgtk bug.

While others may not like the testing and release process, I have confidence in the process. There is a reason why Mint is the best distro...the developers are savvy to the needs and desires of Linux users.
gman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gman »

Any update to the status of the next Mint 4.0 KDE CE Beta?
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

gman wrote:Any update to the status of the next Mint 4.0 KDE CE Beta?
Exploder is testing it currently.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

gman wrote:Any update to the status of the next Mint 4.0 KDE CE Beta?
It's been a day or two away from release for 2 weeks ;)
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

well it is up to beta 44 now, and exploder is testing it.

:)

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Thanks Boo,

Take your time and polish that thing until it shines so bright you have to wear sun glasses to handle the cd. LOL

Have a good day,

Fred
gman2

Post by gman2 »

I can't start ndisgtk from the menu, do others have that problem? Have to start from command line. Was that one of the bugs and if so was it fixed?
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

gman2 wrote:I can't start ndisgtk from the menu, do others have that problem? Have to start from command line. Was that one of the bugs and if so was it fixed?
Yes it should work in the next release.
The problem was the command the launcher was using.

Code: Select all

kdesu /usr/sbin/ndisgtk --kde
kdesu: Unknown option '--kde'.
kdesu: Use --help to get a list of available command line options.
It should have been this.

Code: Select all

kdesu "/usr/sbin/ndisgtk --kde"
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Post by foggytown »

Boo wrote:well it is up to beta 44 now, and exploder is testing it.
Excellent, Boo. Thanks for all of your work!
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley
akshunj

Post by akshunj »

stian.86 wrote:this just came in from the blog (for you guys that don't read it) :

Daryna KDE CE B44
Monday, January 21st, 2008 @ 8:14 pm | Uncategorized

BETA 044 should be released this week.

I don't think I am the only one who REALLY is looking forward to download this beta....

Way to go Boo and Exploder, Thank you for your incredible work :)
I think everyone should absolutely positively *refrain* from quoting release dates on this project. Let's just all be surprised if and when a release happens. Quoting dates has only served to disappoint thus far...
welkiner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by welkiner »

KDE CE beta 44: got it!
Thank you Boo, Exploder, and Clem

Return to “Software & Applications”