Loud annoying system beep at login screen solution

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
daozen
Level 1
Level 1

Loud annoying system beep at login screen solution

Post by daozen »

Hi guys,

This will be my first time "trying" to help out rather than asking for help. I'd like to be more involved but generally have more problems than solutions. Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong part of the forum, I'm sure those in charge will delete it if its useless/dangerous or move it to the correct place.

Disclaimer: I'm not expert and am not entirely sure if this is the correct way of doing things. I don't think it will break anything but...

Anyway I recently installed LMDE XFCE on my laptop. Upon booting to the login screen there was what can only be described as an annoying very load system/console beep. It didn't matter what I did to stop this (mute, system settings, etc) nothing worked. Anyway I fired up Duck Duck Go and straight away a (well known) solution was provided:

Code: Select all

echo "blacklist pcspkr" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
If this works for you then you need read no longer, if like me it doesn't/didn't then you might be using an intel soundcard module: snd_hda_intel. This module has a beep mode and it is defaulted on and that's apparently why the beep remained. So what you need to do is:

paste the following in the terminal:

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
substitute gedit for your favoured text editor) and add the following line at the end for the file:

options snd_hda_intel beep_mode=0
Click save and reboot. No annoying beep.

Points to note that I didn't have to blacklist pcspkr to stop the beep and I can take no credit for this solution and it is found here: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=65327 I thought it was quite hard to find but then I'm not search master.

Theres another "solution" in that thread involving the editing /etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults which didn't work for me but might for you. Remember to back up the files you're editing just in case.

Cheers

daozen.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ellwood

Re: Load annoying system beep at login screen solution

Post by Ellwood »

Thanks for your tip.

My ears are much happier now.
terdon

Re: Loud annoying system beep at login screen solution

Post by terdon »

Yes! Thanks, I have been looking all over for this. It is strange actually, I remember having the same problem when I first started using linux back in 98 or so and here we are again :)

This must be an old relic that was useful at some point and is still around because of the well known phenomenon of source code inertia :)
daozen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by daozen »

I'm actually glad I could help out for once!
dwainehead

Post by dwainehead »

thanks for that! blacklist worked for me, it was on my list of todo's on my system, tonight was a good night of getting to those, knocked out 4.....
Microcord

Post by Microcord »

Thank you! One of the computers that I often take to meetings has a system beep that distinctly resembles a short, intense baritone fart. I usually remember to avoid actions that provoke the beep, but sometimes I make some tiny mistake (e.g. tapping the BackSpace key once too often within a search box), and my computer breaks wind, bringing smirks from my neighbours. (My gestures of "The flatulence isn't mine; it's my computer's" of course aren't credible.) Your tip will save me embarrassment in the future.
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

Wow thanks man, it worked perfectly. I was thinking about pulling out the beep device on my mobo temporarily until I came across this thread lol..
äxl

Post by äxl »

Microcord wrote:Thank you! One of the computers that I often take to meetings has a system beep that distinctly resembles a short, intense baritone fart. I usually remember to avoid actions that provoke the beep, but sometimes I make some tiny mistake (e.g. tapping the BackSpace key once too often within a search box), and my computer breaks wind, bringing smirks from my neighbours. (My gestures of "The flatulence isn't mine; it's my computer's" of course aren't credible.) Your tip will save me embarrassment in the future.
:lol:
20000Leagues

Post by 20000Leagues »

I think the blacklist one worked for my log-in, but nothing seems to make the LOGOUT beep go away..

Anyone have some ideas?
carlp101

Post by carlp101 »

I can confirm this also worked for me on a Dell Studio 15 (1558) running LMDE with XFCE.

Many thanks.
Carl
melbo

Post by melbo »

Worked great on Dell Latitude e6520 i7. Was driving my wife crazy with all my recent reboots!
AndreKiepe

Post by AndreKiepe »

Hello Daozen,
your solution is perfect and works for me. THANK YOU!
LMDE-xfce on HP EliteBook 8460p
Greetings, André
GTBecker

Post by GTBecker »

Assuming the loud beep is through the system speakers, another method is to disable the Beep device in an ALSA mixer GUI. You might need to add the Beep device to the mixer (in its Preferences), before you can disable it.
Ikem

Post by Ikem »

daozen wrote:paste the following in the terminal:

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
substitute gedit for your favoured text editor) and add the following line at the end for the file:

options snd_hda_intel beep_mode=0
Click save and reboot. No annoying beep.
That was the ONLY thing that really helped me with that. Thank you!

Return to “LMDE Archive”