Unrar doesn't prompt for password

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
mike.balut

Unrar doesn't prompt for password

Post by mike.balut »

Ok, when I try to right click on a password protect rar file, I just get the CRC error right away...never prompted for a password. I searched but apparently no one else has this issues? Any help appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Unrar doesn't prompt for password

Post by xenopeek »

Try running unrar from the terminal. There is a -p switch to set the password to use. So basically:

Code: Select all

unrar e -ppassword file
where password is your password, and file the name of the .rar file. This should unrar to current directory. If this also gives CRC error, something is wrong with the file.
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

There's also a difference between varieties or rar file. It's an ever changing format that targets paid archive Winrar on Windows. There is a free and non-free version of unrar in the repos. The non-free one includes more formats that it can read and uncompress. There may be times where the file has been created in the latest version of Winrar and no Linux unrar will recognize it yet. Those could show themselves in silly things like not prompting for a password.
mike.balut

Post by mike.balut »

xenopeek wrote:Try running unrar from the terminal. There is a -p switch to set the password to use. So basically:

Code: Select all

unrar e -ppassword file
where password is your password, and file the name of the .rar file. This should unrar to current directory. If this also gives CRC error, something is wrong with the file.
thanks, I've used that command, it was my lazy half who just wants to right click!

and it's not the file, it does it for all password protected rar's....I did read that this is a bug and the newer release fixes it, but it's not in the repos
Ellwood

Post by Ellwood »

I think there is a problem somewhere because I've just come from ubuntu 10.04 where I've been able to open a header encrypted rar file with file-roller or with mc.

On LMDE I do

rar a -p test *png

and I am able to open de file test.rar with file-roller, mc or xarchiver.

But if I do

rar a -hp test *png

I am only able to deal with test.rar on the command line because file-roller, mc or xarchiver won't be able to open it. I think there is something wrong somewhere, I don't know what can it be. In older linux it worked, looks wrong to me that it stopped working.
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

I've also noticed this problem (with not getting the option of entering any password).

For me this seems to happen if I try to extract multiple password-protected files where some of them has different passwords:

File 1 - unprotected (extracts without problem)
File 2 - password "xy" (extracts without problem)
File 3 - password "yz" (error)

It's like the program tries to use the last password used, and when that one doesn't match the next file it returns an error instead of offering the option of entering a new password. This is usually "reset" by rebooting, but that is kind of inconvenient at times.

I kind of gave up and downloaded 7-zip portable instead that I'm running through wine. (I have a whole folder with my preferred portable windows apps, with menu entry and all)
Ellwood

Post by Ellwood »

I've just tested:

The file test.rar produced on LMDE is opened without any problem on Ubuntu 10.04 using file-roller even when the RAR version is older on 10.04.
Ellwood

Post by Ellwood »

gosa wrote: I kind of gave up and downloaded 7-zip portable instead that I'm running through wine. (I have a whole folder with my preferred portable windows apps, with menu entry and all)
I've tried it but right now it is not possible to install wine on LMDE.
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

Ellwood wrote:
gosa wrote: I kind of gave up and downloaded 7-zip portable instead that I'm running through wine. (I have a whole folder with my preferred portable windows apps, with menu entry and all)
- No?

The post by lmdeman in this thread works perfectly for me running LMDE with UP3:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 28#p447869
Ellwood

Post by Ellwood »

gosa wrote:
Ellwood wrote:
- No?

The post by lmdeman in this thread works perfectly for me running LMDE with UP3:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 28#p447869
I've got it. Just downloaded the source, compiled and installed it. That is a good thing about LMDE, everything I tried to gets compiled easily.
Ellwood

[SOLVED] Unrar doesn't prompt for password

Post by Ellwood »

Here is my solution:

sudo aptitude update

sudo aptitude upgrade

sudo aptitude purge rar unrar

wget http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/pool/no ... 1_i386.deb

sudo dpkg -i rar_3.9.3-1_i386.deb

sudo aptitude hold rar

The downloaded RAR is the one from Squeeze.

file-roller will work again as you planed.
Last edited by Ellwood on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dragangavri

Re: [SOLVED] Unrar doesn't prompt for password

Post by dragangavri »

Ellwood wrote:Here is my solution:

sudo aptitude update

sudo aptitude upgrade

sudo aptitude purge rar unrar

wget http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/pool/no ... 1_i386.deb

sudo dpkg -i rar_3.9.3-1_i386.deb

sudo aptitude hold rar

The downloaded RAR is the one from Squeeze.

file-roller will work again as you planed.
I noticed that File-Roller can not handle password protected rar archives any more, but it was not a big deal because I use Krusader (yeas, I'm under Gnome but I like Krusader) and Krusader had no such problem. Seems strange because both File-Roller and Krusader use same unrar program, but sometimes computers behave in strange way.

I followed your solution and find myself in trouble. I just purged Unrar when noticed that you're referring to commercial Rar program. I don't won't shareware on my LMDE so I reinstalled Unrar-free by Synaptic. To my surprise File-Roller started working properly but Krusader can not unrar archives no more, no matter are they password protected or not. He just gives an error: invalid option –y.

Now I'm confused: Do not know how to tell to krusader how to unpack. Reinstalling Krusader is an option but probably will not help. Maybe update pack 4 will bring Krusader 2.4.0?
Ellwood

Re: [SOLVED] Unrar doesn't prompt for password

Post by Ellwood »

dragangavri wrote: I noticed that File-Roller can not handle password protected rar archives any more, but it was not a big deal because I use Krusader (yeas, I'm under Gnome but I like Krusader) and Krusader had no such problem. Seems strange because both File-Roller and Krusader use same unrar program, but sometimes computers behave in strange way.

I followed your solution and find myself in trouble. I just purged Unrar when noticed that you're referring to commercial Rar program. I don't won't shareware on my LMDE so I reinstalled Unrar-free by Synaptic. To my surprise File-Roller started working properly but Krusader can not unrar archives no more, no matter are they password protected or not. He just gives an error: invalid option –y.

Now I'm confused: Do not know how to tell to krusader how to unpack. Reinstalling Krusader is an option but probably will not help. Maybe update pack 4 will bring Krusader 2.4.0?
I gave you an Idea that worked for me. With the same Idea instead using RAR from Squeeze you could use Unrar-free from Squeeze.

I wouldn't hesitate to reinstall, to reconfigure, to purge and reinstall again, etc, anything that could fix it, above all because LMDE is mainly Debian Testing and we are the testers.

It is true that aptitude deals with the dependencies differently, some say more efficiently but I think that in a Testing environment it can give you some surprises too, anyway Aptitude is may favourite installer and I'll keep using it.
dragangavri

Post by dragangavri »

Usually, I don't mind reinstalling, purging or whatever, I mean, what can possibly goes wrong besides totally ruining whole system ;-) Only, it may not be a proper moment: I hope that update pack will come soon and major updates may fix system. They may broke thing or two but most of the time they are improvement.

Return to “LMDE Archive”