Linux Mint 12 KDE released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Sam Poison Oak

Re: Linux Mint 12 KDE released!

Post by Sam Poison Oak »

Really really thank you!! Everything works fine and smooth now that I've experienced the best of linux distros I would be really happy to totally switch to linux... if just adobe develop Ps an Ai xD Damn Adobe!

PD: is it safe to use the kubuntu backports for update to 4.8? Will my settings be the same?
Jawz

Post by Jawz »

clem wrote:
The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 12 KDE. Linux Mint 12 KDE New features at a glance: KDE 4.7.4 Hybrid ISO images Search engines Upstream components For a complete overview and to see screenshots of the new features, visit: “What’s new in Linux Mint 12 KDE“. Release notes: Moonlight Upstream [...]
Announcement: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1927

Love it! Aside from a hidden Wifi issue. It's been pretty plugnplay for me.
Jawz

Post by Jawz »

clem wrote:
The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 12 KDE. Linux Mint 12 KDE New features at a glance: KDE 4.7.4 Hybrid ISO images Search engines Upstream components For a complete overview and to see screenshots of the new features, visit: “What’s new in Linux Mint 12 KDE“. Release notes: Moonlight Upstream [...]
Announcement: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1927
We should mention somewhere on the site that one can write it to USB-Stick in Windows too!
I discovered that downloading the file and renaming it from ISO to IMG does the trick.
It would be better if you host a renamed ISO file (to IMG) on the site calling it : USB Version.
(Thus eliminating a step for the users)
Then you write it to USB with this program: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download
ClearSky

Post by ClearSky »

kalimerox wrote:i asked that a minute ago in another thread, sorry, but thought it s worth:

does the new linux mint kde has an option for home encryption in the installer? that would be fantastic indeed!
Yes, it does.
Last edited by ClearSky on Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inferno

Post by inferno »

Congratulations to the KDE design Team

Have made the journey from gnome on mint 11 to KDE on 12, it is an absolutely beautiful OS,
I use it exclusively on my laptop, easy to install, my Canon MP250 inkjet printer detected out of the box, no worries about drivers now.
Do like the cube pre-installed, I use it practically, terminal window on one face, pdf manual on another, notes on a third and Netbeans Java IDE on another, yes eye candy but so fast and so useful. I am a Java programming Tutor and use this to great advantage with my students.
I have docky on the bottom of the screen with all my needed apps in place. Wireless a little more difficult to configure, but once done is cool.
Have the main tray docked vertical left. This is so much more functional than anything windows has achieved. The choice of preloaded apps is faultless, I have added scribus, blender, chrome, clamav, deja-dup on my personal system.

This is bound on a course to become the supreme OS for Linux
I shall continue my KDE journey of learning.

My Kindest Regards

John (in New Zealand)
nounours18200

Post by nounours18200 »

Do like the cube pre-installed, I use it practically, terminal window on one face, pdf manual on another, notes on a third and Netbeans Java IDE on another, yes eye candy but so fast and so useful. I am a Java programming Tutor and use this to great advantage with my students.
Sorry for my English, but can you tell me more about this Cube ? Do not know it !

Tks
Jofes

Post by Jofes »

bigmattyd wrote:I am a new convert to Linux Mint, after having been with ubuntu from 8.10 to the present. I am not fond of the new direction ubuntu is taking with its desktop environment, and I am running linux on a 2006 Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop with an AMD Turion 64 X2 processor and integrated AMD Radeon Xpress graphics and Broadcom 43xx wireless card. This combination of hardware has been somewhat frustrating to use with Linux.

I found that Linux Mint 12 regular edition did not work well with my system. It reverted to a Gnome fallback mode, which was not great.

I am very happy that I found Linux Mint 12 KDE Edition! It runs beautifully on my hardware. It is elegant, fast, customizable, and relatively bug-free. It has a good set of default software.

I have found that the software manager won't run, so I use either synaptic, or I just installed Muon software manager. Also the Dolphin file manager has crashed unexpectedly a couple times, as has firefox. It has not kept me from enjoying this os, however. I have not booted into Ubuntu 10.04 LTS ( my previous Linux install) for at least a week, but I am keeping it just in case.

Thank you so much for a beautiful, efficient, easy to use OS for my aging laptop. I just love it so far. The only thing I wonder is if there are enough other people out there using this that I will be able to find help woth any issues I might have. I guess I will find out. :roll:

Matt

I have found that the software manager won't run

I have the same problem, As soon as i use the search engine the manager crashes the system. Joe
inferno

Post by inferno »

nounours18200 wrote:
Sorry for my English, but can you tell me more about this Cube ? Do not know it !

Tks
Hi there my friend, You can activate the cube on Linux Mint KDE by Ctrl --> F11
This will reveal to you a graphical cube on the screen, left click and hold on the mouse, now drag left or right to rotate the cube on the screen,
each of the four faces of the cube has a separate desktop on which you can open different windows. A mouse right click brings back the full normal window view at any point.

Enjoy

John in NZ
ClearSky

Post by ClearSky »

Jofes wrote:
bigmattyd wrote:I am a new convert to Linux Mint, after having been with ubuntu from 8.10 to the present. I am not fond of the new direction ubuntu is taking with its desktop environment, and I am running linux on a 2006 Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop with an AMD Turion 64 X2 processor and integrated AMD Radeon Xpress graphics and Broadcom 43xx wireless card. This combination of hardware has been somewhat frustrating to use with Linux.

I found that Linux Mint 12 regular edition did not work well with my system. It reverted to a Gnome fallback mode, which was not great.

I am very happy that I found Linux Mint 12 KDE Edition! It runs beautifully on my hardware. It is elegant, fast, customizable, and relatively bug-free. It has a good set of default software.

I have found that the software manager won't run, so I use either synaptic, or I just installed Muon software manager. Also the Dolphin file manager has crashed unexpectedly a couple times, as has firefox. It has not kept me from enjoying this os, however. I have not booted into Ubuntu 10.04 LTS ( my previous Linux install) for at least a week, but I am keeping it just in case.

Thank you so much for a beautiful, efficient, easy to use OS for my aging laptop. I just love it so far. The only thing I wonder is if there are enough other people out there using this that I will be able to find help woth any issues I might have. I guess I will find out. :roll:

Matt

I have found that the software manager won't run

I have the same problem, As soon as i use the search engine the manager crashes the system. Joe
Software manager crashed only once on my system, when I entered some text in the search box.

After it crashed, I started it again, and since then the manager and the software search box have worked flawlessly.
nounours18200

Post by nounours18200 »

Software manager crashed only once on my system, when I entered some text in the search box.

After it crashed, I started it again, and since then the manager and the software search box have worked flawlessly.
On my LM12 KDE, the software closes itself approximately 2 seconds after it starts: there is no way (not enough time) to enter any text is the search dialog box...
If I start it again, the same pbappears: the Software Manager closes immediatly after it starts.

Is there any known solution to this , or do we have to wait for a patch ?
ClearSky

Post by ClearSky »

nounours18200 wrote:

On my LM12 KDE, the software closes itself approximately 2 seconds after it starts: there is no way (not enough time) to enter any text is the search dialog box...
If I start it again, the same pbappears: the Software Manager closes immediatly after it starts.

Is there any known solution to this , or do we have to wait for a patch ?
Did you started the update manager and downloaded all the updates (about 350 MB)?

During the installation of Linux Mint 12 KDE, were you connected to the internet?

I tested the software manager again, and it's working great.
guimaster

Post by guimaster »

I installed all of the updates but Software Manager still crashes for me...

I have used Ubuntu 8.04 through to 11.04. Then I used LMDE and Mint 11. I also quick-tested Mint 12 and Ubuntu 11.10. Unity is very pretty, and because of that I could not find myself content using Gnome 2 again. I like the Mint Menu a lot, but since I use Windows 7 at work I wanted eye candy, and I just didn't like what Gnome 2 gave me even with Compiz effects. I decided to make a Live USB Startup Disc for Mint 12 KDE and I was awe-struck, to say the least!

I think I found my new home! KDE is getting great reviews everywhere and I think it's the best place to be right now with Unity, Gnome 3 and Cinnamon all very immature projects.

Thanks to the Mint Team!

P.S. I use less Ram with KDE then I did with Gnome 2 in Mint 11. I don't know how that's possible, but I used about 440 MB I think in Mint 11, and I am using 415 MB right now in KDE.
Arran

Post by Arran »

Use Synaptic, absolutely no problems. Software-manager is crap with me too.
LISABLUEANGEL

Post by LISABLUEANGEL »

i was using linux mint gnome edition and i was having ati/amd radeon problems and then i tried linuxmint 12 kde and i was amazed....... i love kde now! and you know why.
i no longer have an ati/amd radeon video card driver issues...... and kde actually supports my video card! tyvm clem love ya!
mads

Post by mads »

@ Jofes, nounours18200, guimaster, Arran

I am very new to KDE (just a few days). Are these Main Edition threads totally useless in KDE?
Can't install anything from Software Manager [SOLVED]
Software manager doesn't work, Linux mint 12(SOLVED)
nounours18200

Post by nounours18200 »

It seems that the Software Manager has problems on most of the LM12 KDE isntallations...

I went through this post: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=91679
and I saw that the notification icon in the task bar told me that my system was up to date, but it was false because the following command:
apt update && apt upgrade
did generate an upgrade of my system, as shown herebelow:
Souhaitez-vous continuer [O/n] ? o
Réception de : 1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-updates/main linux-libc-dev i386 3.0.0-16.28 [828 kB]
Réception de : 2 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-updates/main xserver-xorg-core i386 2:1.10.4-1ubuntu4.2 [1 668 kB]
Réception de : 3 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-updates/main xserver-xorg-video-intel i386 2:2.15.901-1ubuntu2.1 [240 kB]
Réception de : 4 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-updates/main xserver-xorg-video-all i386 1:7.6+7ubuntu7.1 [5 126 B]
Réception de : 5 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-updates/main xserver-xorg-input-all i386 1:7.6+7ubuntu7.1 [5 038 B]
Réception de : 6 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-updates/main xserver-xorg i386 1:7.6+7ubuntu7.1 [78,9 kB]
Réception de : 7 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-updates/main xorg i386 1:7.6+7ubuntu7.1 [2 706 B]
2 827 ko réceptionnés en 10s (279 ko/s)
(Lecture de la base de données... 203652 fichiers et répertoires déjà installés.)
Préparation du remplacement de linux-libc-dev 3.0.0-14.23 (en utilisant .../linux-libc-dev_3.0.0-16.28_i386.deb) ...
Dépaquetage de la mise à jour de linux-libc-dev ...
Préparation du remplacement de xserver-xorg-core 2:1.10.4-1ubuntu4 (en utilisant .../xserver-xorg-core_2%3a1.10.4-1ubuntu4.2_i386.deb) ...
Dépaquetage de la mise à jour de xserver-xorg-core ...
Préparation du remplacement de xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.15.901-1ubuntu2 (en utilisant .../xserver-xorg-video-intel_2%3a2.15.901-1ubuntu2.1_i386.deb) ...
Dépaquetage de la mise à jour de xserver-xorg-video-intel ...
Préparation du remplacement de xserver-xorg-video-all 1:7.6+7ubuntu7 (en utilisant .../xserver-xorg-video-all_1%3a7.6+7ubuntu7.1_i386.deb) ...
Dépaquetage de la mise à jour de xserver-xorg-video-all ...
Préparation du remplacement de xserver-xorg-input-all 1:7.6+7ubuntu7 (en utilisant .../xserver-xorg-input-all_1%3a7.6+7ubuntu7.1_i386.deb) ...
Dépaquetage de la mise à jour de xserver-xorg-input-all ...
Préparation du remplacement de xserver-xorg 1:7.6+7ubuntu7 (en utilisant .../xserver-xorg_1%3a7.6+7ubuntu7.1_i386.deb) ...
Dépaquetage de la mise à jour de xserver-xorg ...
Préparation du remplacement de xorg 1:7.6+7ubuntu7 (en utilisant .../xorg_1%3a7.6+7ubuntu7.1_i386.deb) ...
Dépaquetage de la mise à jour de xorg ...
Traitement des actions différées (« triggers ») pour « man-db »...
Paramétrage de linux-libc-dev (3.0.0-16.28) ...
Paramétrage de xserver-xorg-core (2:1.10.4-1ubuntu4.2) ...
Paramétrage de xserver-xorg-video-intel (2:2.15.901-1ubuntu2.1) ...
Paramétrage de xserver-xorg-video-all (1:7.6+7ubuntu7.1) ...
Paramétrage de xserver-xorg-input-all (1:7.6+7ubuntu7.1) ...
Paramétrage de xserver-xorg (1:7.6+7ubuntu7.1) ...
Paramétrage de xorg (1:7.6+7ubuntu7.1) ...
Traitement des actions différées (« triggers ») pour « libc-bin »...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
elodie ~ #
Nevertheless, even after this update, the Software Manager still closes as soon as it has started (so it is still unusable). The topic that I mentionned at the very beginning of my message also indicates that the following command should solve the problem:
sudo bash
apt-get clean
cd /var/lib/apt
mv lists lists.old
mkdir -p lists/partial
apt-get clean
apt-get update
but as I do not clearly understand what it is supposed to perform, i am a little "afraid" to perform it on my system... Maybe an "expert" amongst you can try it to see if it fixes the pb ?
nounours18200

Post by nounours18200 »

just to inform you that I have performed the aforementionned commands, but the problem is still there, so it is not the solution...

Any other idea ?
mads

Post by mads »

nounours18200 wrote:just to inform you that I have performed the aforementionned commands, but the problem is still there, so it is not the solution...

Any other idea ?
software manager in mint 12 kde solution
Mr. Pants

Post by Mr. Pants »

where in the heck is the option to allow others to remote into the desktop? It was easy to find in GNOME but I simply can not find it in KDE :lol: I need to ba able to access my tower from the laptop. thanks!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

All, this is not the place to ask for support :wink:

Please post questions you have about KDE here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=109

Return to “Releases & Announcements”