To Mint or Not to Mint....that's my question

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Don't fix it if it ain't broken .... If your system works for you and you already got your stuff via Automatix, I wouldn't mess with your current system. Unless of course you're curious: Then of course you could download the Mint CD and try it out in Live CD mode ... And if you like what you see you could of course still install it. :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pghjake
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pghjake »

You can always run Automatix2 after a mint install. Works just fine. Bianca is still detected as Ubuntu 6.10.
carltonh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by carltonh »

Does Automatix2 have any important stuff not in Linux Mint? I ask seriously as I don't know.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

carltonh wrote:Does Automatix2 have any important stuff not in Linux Mint? I ask seriously as I don't know.
Hmmm ... You can install some P2P clients not present otherwise in the Linux Mint and/or Ubuntu repositories. Skype and Google Earth are available too as far as I know (can't check this now), although you could install both using the downloads from their respective web sites, I find it easier to do this in automatix: just point and click.

So despite the fact that most if not all multimedia and DVD playback codecs are already present in Mint, there is still some use for Automatix, especially if you're looking for an easy way to install some extra software that you'd need to download manually otherwise.
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

johnnymac,

Linux Mint offers a very nice -- right off the install CD -- experience. And, I've tried them all. LOL! There are no distros out there that offer the audio / video support that I have yet found.

From the Linux Forums that I play in, and talked about Linux Mint, everyone has said that this distro is an alternative to both Xubuntu, and Kubuntu.

You may have to play around in Command Line to go the extra mile to get what you want, but you are one step ahead of the herd here. IMHO.

Adler
Phoenix, Arizona
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

manishk,

Cool!

Adler
Phoenix, Arizona
mr91nk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mr91nk »

Hi all,

I was faced with the existence of Mint only a few days ago, and I'm already curious. I run Ubuntu since almost two years, now on 6.10 and I'm very happy with it. However, I'm always curious on trying new things, and Mint seems to be a nice alternative to Ubuntu and I plan to try the Live-CD during the upcoming weekend.. My question is - apart from the "don't fix it if it ain't broken" thing - would there be ANY other reason at all not to change?

Cheers!
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Yes. Ubuntu is more stable, more tested, and they have a clearer and more long term strategy. If you don't like quick changes you will prefer Ubuntu.

You can always try Linux Mint from the LiveCD and if you really like it decide later if you want to change or not.

Clem

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”