is Mint 64 bit platform or 32 bit?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mikpap
Level 2
Level 2

Re: is Mint 64 bit platform or 32 bit?

Post by mikpap »

Well, Mint is a 32bit linux distro. There are plans for a 64bit one but as far as I know we will see a 64bit Mint version after the release of Mint 5.0 (based on Hardy Heron 8.04).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

yanivush wrote:I cant find the information about the Mint platform.. I have 64 bit computer so I have been worried about that...

Thanks...
...and 64-bit computation is slower anyway, so... :roll:
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
catweazle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by catweazle »

64 bit is sometimes faster. For the most apps you will hardly see it. I have done some tests before making my final choice 64 or 32 bit. I had a speed gain of up to 30 % for heavy calculations such as video rendering of videos with a lot of effects.
I have choosen 32bit but I keep my 64 bit only for rendering long videos.
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

yanivush wrote:I cant find the information about the Mint platform.. I have 64 bit computer so I have been worried about that...

Thanks...

mint should work fine on your 64 bit pc. :wink:
mikpap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikpap »

I installed ubuntu hardy heron 8.04 in a 64bit pc. I tried to install mint tools (packages.linuxmint.com) but when I tried to install mintmenu I got a message that the dependencies are not met but I can't install them using synaptic 'cause the python-... that is asking for is not in the ubuntu 64bit repos. Any ideas?
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Zwopper wrote:

Thanks...
...and 64-bit computation is slower anyway, so... :roll:
No, it is not. But for the average user it does not drastically change the performance, but if you work with 3D rendering, scientific software, CAD or other tasks that requires a ton of calculations in a short amount of time you will see a drastic improvement in performance..
But still, 64 bit still lacks support for allot of software, so even if you do run a 64 environment, you'll most likely end up running some 32 bit apps anyway...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin

Return to “Beginner Questions”