Cinnamon Themes

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bimsebasse

Re: Cinnamon Themes

Post by bimsebasse »

Yep, only a few Cinnamon themes have included gtk styling. It's hard work - making a Cinnamon theme takes a few hours if you're fast, a gtk theme is bit of a project (unless you're just slightly tweaking an existing theme).
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

z06gal wrote:bim, how did you get your desktop like that? The bar in the middle reminds me of Windows 7 layout. I like the way you have that :wink:

Robin
Gimp :D It's not an actual desktop screenshot, it's an ehh collage of theme elements.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

bimsebasse wrote:Yep, only a few Cinnamon themes have included gtk styling. It's hard work - making a Cinnamon theme takes a few hours if you're fast, a gtk theme is bit of a project (unless you're just slightly tweaking an existing theme).
Ah, okay then. Thanks for letting me know. Unfortunately for me and despite having 30 years in computers and such, I was never quite able to wrap my head around the programming end of things. I've always regretted that.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

It's just a matter of looking at the theme files and finding out what bit does what by a bit of web research, trial and error and comparing with other themes. Gtk theming is a chore because it takes ages to complete a well constructed original theme, but the coding itself is relatively straightforward.
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

bimsebasse wrote:Daniel I'm a big fan of ElementaryOS, that's just plainly the coolest theme for Cinnamon at the moment.
Agreed 100%, I love it for its blue highlights too :) Any suggestions for a matching GTK+3 theme?

Rehdon
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Boomerang Deux is a good match

Also Hope
Daniel4lm

Post by Daniel4lm »

bimsebasse wrote:Cheers guys - Daniel I'm a big fan of ElementaryOS, that's just plainly the coolest theme for Cinnamon at the moment. You should include a "Mint" version, basically identical except the blue highlighting is Mint green. Also, I've begun to port some other GS themes to Cinnamon and will just mention my todo-list here in case you're working on some of them and I don't need to: Ubuntu Ambiance, Zuktiwo, Nord and Holo
Hmm, I'll try to make a Mint version of ElementaryOS theme. Good to hear that you porting more theme, I don't currently work on the themes.
bimsebasse wrote:Boomerang Deux is a good match

Also Hope
Hit. I used this topic some time ago.
kmb42vt wrote:One thing I've noticed about Cinnamon only themes is that unless a gnome-shell version is included in the theme files, only the panel, menu, pop-ups, etc are themed and not the rest of the DE (windows, window borders, highlighting, etc). A good example of this is the "Chocolatte" theme (downloaded from Guthub "/Cinnamon-themes") which includes both Cinnamon and gnome-shell themes in the Chocolatte theme directory so once installed, you can choose the theme in Cinnamon settings which themes the Panel and pop-ups, etc and then you can select the same theme in Gnome Tweak (Advanced Settings) and the rest of the Cinnamon DE is themed accordingly as well.

Or is it because there's a GTK3 folder in the "Chocolatte" theme folder that makes the difference and not the gnome-shell folder?

A similar example is if I select the "ElementaryOS" Cinnamon theme (Cinnamon only theme), the highlighting for selected items in Nautilus, highlighting text is still green. I can work around that by opening Gnome Tweak and selecting "Adwaita" as GTK+ Theme instead of "Mint-Z" which changes highlighting to a similar blue. But if I select the "Reality" Cinnamon theme, there's no way to theme the rest of the DE.

I'm not complaining at all, just mentioning and I hope I'm being clear in my description. To be truthful, I think I'm very confused about the whole thing. :)
Cinnamon/Gnome shell themes are just for shell, and the rest of the DE is shown using the GTK 2/3 engine.
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

bimsebasse wrote:Boomerang Deux is a good match

Also Hope
Thanks a lot, I've gone for the original Boomerang theme ;)

Rehdon
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

(Please don't crucify me) I created an Ubuntu theme :)

http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes/view/41
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

bimsebasse wrote:(Please don't crucify me) I created an Ubuntu theme :)

http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes/view/41
Looks okay to me. No crucification required. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
grumpyoldman

Post by grumpyoldman »

Some help please.
I have Cinnamon 1.2 installed. I have tried to change my theme following the instructions, ie, extract to ~/.themes but when I try to change in cinnamon settings only the default theme is offered.
What am I doing wrong? & if not, why can't I change?
I know it's not a big deal but?
Thanks
eyjay1991

Post by eyjay1991 »

grumpyoldman wrote:Some help please.
I have Cinnamon 1.2 installed. I have tried to change my theme following the instructions, ie, extract to ~/.themes but when I try to change in cinnamon settings only the default theme is offered.
What am I doing wrong? & if not, why can't I change?
I know it's not a big deal but?
Thanks
Yes, this is also my problem. Any insights?
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

One thing that could be causing this is if the theme is "double wrapped" i.e a compressed file inside another compressed file.
In your ~/.themes file right click on the theme you installed and choose "Extract Here" then check again in Cinnamon Settings and see if it has appeared
kherring7383

Post by kherring7383 »

The first question I have, is does this work under Gnome Shell?

The reason I ask is because Gnome Shell requires an extension to allow using themes in the ~/.themes folder.
You may want to install this extension first and then restart the shell and see if the theme is listed.

The link to the extension is https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/19/user-themes/

Good luck.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Cinnamon has theme support out of the box. Moving a Gnome Shell extension unmodified into a Cinnamon folder will at best do nothing.
Daniel4lm

Post by Daniel4lm »

I uploaded my themes (elegans, dark glass and ElementaryOS) for Cinnamon 1.3. Themes in Cinnamon 1.3 look a little different, because everything on the panel is actually treated as a applet.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Daniel4lm wrote:I uploaded my themes (elegans, dark glass and ElementaryOS) for Cinnamon 1.3. Themes in Cinnamon 1.3 look a little different, because everything on the panel is actually treated as a applet.
I'm seeing Eleganse and ElementaryOS for Cinnamon 1.3 (thanks, by the way) but no Dark Glass on the Themes page of the Cinnamon site. Just saying. :)
Daniel4lm

Post by Daniel4lm »

kmb42vt wrote:
Daniel4lm wrote:I uploaded my themes (elegans, dark glass and ElementaryOS) for Cinnamon 1.3. Themes in Cinnamon 1.3 look a little different, because everything on the panel is actually treated as a applet.
I'm seeing Eleganse and ElementaryOS for Cinnamon 1.3 (thanks, by the way) but no Dark Glass on the Themes page of the Cinnamon site. Just saying. :)
Sorry, I forgot to put on the site. You can download it from gnome-look.org.
te7

Post by te7 »

Dark-glass is broken in cinnamon 1.3. The information in the lower right corner is too low, and the update icon is too big. I'm using the weather extension, if that makes a difference. You get this if you choose dark-glass, logout then log back in.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

I just posted a bug report on Guthub (cinnamon-themes) about the huge MintUpdate icon problem seen in all Cinnamon 1.3 compatible themes so far (but not in 1.2 compatible themes). See below:

I'm seeing a problem with this and every other theme that's been made compatible with Cinnamon 1.3 so far on two very different machines (quad core desktop PC with Nvidia GT 430 video card and Thinkpad R61 laptop with dual core with Intel X3100 graphics).

When first logging in the MintUpdate Icon in the tray is huge while the others remain normal size. This huge icon "buries" the rest of the icons on the tray below the edge of the display while the other icons on the left side of the panel are normal size and remain in place. Switching from a Cinnamon 1.3 compatible theme to a 1.2 compatible theme returns icons to normal. Switching back to a 1.3 compatible theme the icons still remain normal size until the next login. Restarting Cinnamon (alt + F2 "r") with the 1.3 compatible theme still selected (when the huge MintUpdate icon is showing) does not correct the problem.

This problem also occurs with a 1.3 compatible theme (when the MintUpdate icon is normal size) when opening MintUpdate, typing in your password (Panel disappears) and letting it reload . Once MintUpdate has reloaded the panel reappears and the MintUpdate icon is huge again. if you just open MintUpdate (password box appears, panel disappears) and hit "Cancel" the MintUpdate icon remains normal size.

Here's a screenshot of of the problem using the Ambiance Mint theme (also seen using the 1.3 compatible "Eleganse" and "ElementaryOS" themes:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/10 ... icons.jpg/

Note: The "Glipper" icon also shows huge and has the same problem in my case

I don't actually know whether this is a problem with Cinnamon 1.3 compatible themes or Cinnamon 1.3 itself to be honest about it. :?

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”