The volume meter popup problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

The volume meter popup problem

Post by rootkowski »

Hi!

There is a very weird thing happening on my laptop (HP Pavilion zv5000 series). If it were windows I'd think it's a virus infection. The thing is that as soon as I turn on the computer and Daryna starts the volume meter popup comes up and doesn't go away! It blinks every now and then and goes away for the time when any menu is opened. Then it comes back, freaking me out (and my wife, since she uses the laptop). Additionally, muting or turning down the sound is impossible! It stays on 100% whatever I do.

I've been trying to kill some processes (like esd, gnome-sound things) but nothing helps.

I hope someone here can come up with a solution. Thanks!

PS: there's no compiz running on that system. And another thing is that the mint menu behaves a bit weird too. It reacts only to the first hovering or just hides on its own. But i'm not sure it has anything to do with the volume control.

Cheers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: The volume meter popup problem

Post by Husse »

I would remove the volume (and perhaps the menu too) from the panel
Right click the app > Remove from panel
Right click panel > Add to panel
Not that it's mintMenu you should add - there are more than one menu you can add
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

Thanks. You're right. The mintmenu can be replaced by another kind of menu, but when I talk about the volume meter popup I don't mean the sound applet in the left corner but the popup that comes up in the middle of the screen when you turn down/up the volume. That one doesn't go away and the volume is on 100% all the time. So I guess that's a trickier one.

Thanks again!
Husse

Post by Husse »

I've not been online for a while so I have lots of questions to answer > no time to dig :roll:
Check so you don't have something autostarting > Control Center > Sessions
I'll come back to you when I catch up
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

Thanks a lot mate!

Now we tested the laptop with windows and... it's impossible to turn down the sound on windows too! At least muting it works fine. And there's no irritating volume meter popup (which I otherwise think of as very useful).

So it seems like it's a hardware issue, not software. And that might be harder to fix :(

Thanks a lot for your help!
Husse

Post by Husse »

Is there a volume knob?
Try to turn it (either way, but most likely down) a bit. Could be something with signal strength, although it seems to be a long shot
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

Thanks for the reply :-)

The laptop has 3 buttons (turn down, mute and turn up). On Mint none of those works, while on windows it's possible to at least mute it. Anyway, on both systems if I try to turn the sound down it goes up immediately. A temporary solution I guess would be to get rid of system sounds so they don't scare anyone to their death all of the sudden, but then there's still the volume meter popup that is on top of all windows. Is there a way to get rid of that one?

I'll try to find maybe some info specific for the model to see if the problem is known.

Thanks again!
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

Does anyone have any idea how to disable the volume popup in gnome? I've been googling around and found nothing. I really want to be able to use that laptop with mint again :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

When I looked into this the first time I did a really exhaustive search but found nothing.
Time permitting I'll try again
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

Mate, thanx a lot for the time you take for it. I do appreciate it. I have also been searching for it on google but also in Configuration Editor, without success. I am planning to check if kde or xfce have that kind of popups, because if they don't i could simply install one of those and set it default.

I have also noticed that the touch pad on the laptop (which is very close to the volume buttons) doesn't really work either. I found a manual on hp's site for that model and it's a really big job to get to that part of the laptop. I would have to take it apart completely, because the volume buttons sit in the "deepest dark" of the laptop. When I will get brave enough I might get at it. As for now I'll try to find software solutions.

Tack än en gång Husse!
Husse

Post by Husse »

Du kan svenska?
Your last post gave me an idea
It could be possible that the hardware error that you seem to have sends some signal so the popup pops up :) especially as the touchpad is close to the volume knob
Take a deep breath before you dismantle the lappy or it will be crappy (sorry :))

Return to “Software & Applications”