Unseen Toshiba Hard Drive

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Unseen Toshiba Hard Drive

Post by Husse »

I think the recovery partition is to blame
It is non standard so the disk is considered corrupt by the installer and not shown (but probably seen)
Check the release notes for Daryna. At the end is a workaround for Dell with recovery partition. This may work for you too.
If not you may have to "be nasty" to MBR
You could try this from DOS

Code: Select all

LOCK C:
FDISK/MBR
You could do more to MBR but as that are really dangerous commands I wait with them
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Yeah - the recovery partition can do a lot - and it's really useless for recovery too as you loose all your data if you use it. There are Toshiba satelite that run Mint, but this keeps me from trying Mint on my wifes Satelite....
Husse

Post by Husse »

I find the gparted on the live CD a bit lacking - I've had some intriguing problems with it but solved them. However the next time I install I'll get into problems if I don't remove something first.... Enough :)
If you format /dev/sda2 can it be seen by the live CD?
If not I fear there is something in MBR that causes problems. I know how to solve that, but that's a solution that wipes the disk clean....
Husse

Post by Husse »

Does not matter really as this is more of an experiment - FAT32 as this can be seen and used by both Linux and Windows without problems

Return to “Installation & Boot”