Error every time using MintUpdate

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
windyweather
Level 3
Level 3

Error every time using MintUpdate

Post by windyweather »

Mint 12 x64, running in VirtualBox on W7 system.
mintUpdate gives this every time.

Code: Select all

W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net oneiric Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 584BD6410AAFAD78
Nothing looks amiss in my software sources. I am using cinnamon which is working fine.

Is this a known error, or do I have a bogus source?

- ww
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
[Systems include LM 20 in VirtualBox / Win 10 Host on AMD Ryzen 3800x / AsRock A300 Ryzen 3200G]
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Error every time using MintUpdate

Post by remoulder »

Repositories on Launchpad are un-official in that almost anyone can create one, and are therefore untrusted. You need to add the gpg signng key from that repos home page if you trust it and don't want to see the error.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
windyweather
Level 3
Level 3

Here is a solution....

Post by windyweather »

It would help to have a pointer to some sort of instructions about how to do this. Here's what I finally did that worked:

darrell@a90-vmmint12 ~ $ sudo add-apt-key 584BD6410AAFAD78
gpg: directory `/home/darrell/.gnupg' created
gpg: new configuration file `/home/darrell/.gnupg/gpg.conf' created
gpg: WARNING: options in `/home/darrell/.gnupg/gpg.conf' are not yet active during this run
gpg: keyring `/home/darrell/.gnupg/secring.gpg' created
gpg: keyring `/home/darrell/.gnupg/pubring.gpg' created
gpg: requesting key 0AAFAD78 from hkp server subkeys.pgp.net
gpg: /home/darrell/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
gpg: key 0AAFAD78: public key "Launchpad merlwiz79" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:               imported: 1  (RSA: 1)
OK
darrell@a90-vmmint12 ~ $ 
So, when you get the error, the easiest way to solve the problem is to Copy the key from the error box window and enter the command:

sudo add-apt-key <paste key here>
One problem is that the entire URL of the source is not repored in the error box. The error says ppa.launchpad.net but the entire URL is actually http://ppa.launchpad.net/merlwiz79/cinnamon-ppa/ubuntu. I know this because this is the only enabled source that contains launchpad.

So BUG: report the entire URL in this error so you can tell which URL the reported key refers to.

- ww
[Systems include LM 20 in VirtualBox / Win 10 Host on AMD Ryzen 3800x / AsRock A300 Ryzen 3200G]
urdumania.com

Re: Error every time using MintUpdate

Post by urdumania.com »

A new version of Linux Mint is released every 6 months. It usually comes with new features and improvements but there's nothing wrong with sticking with the release you already have. In fact, you could skip many releases and stick with the version that works for you.

Return to “Software & Applications”