[Solved] My system is very slow

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
oleronning

[Solved] My system is very slow

Post by oleronning »

Hi!

Earlier i posted a topic about xorg crashing my pc. I asked around a lot without getting any answers, so I installed Lnux Mint Debian (earlier I had LInux Mint). After that my computer does no longer have these insane crashed, but i feel my system is very slow. When i type the text is much to late, and watching videos is almost impossible. Generally I will say that everything that goes on on the screen is behaving very slow. I guess it has something to do with xorg, because the process uses around 10.00% of one of my cores all the time.

Some of my specs are:
Corsair SSD Force Series 3, 60GB 2.5" - SATA 6 Gb/s (SATA3.0), 525MB/490MB/s read/write, S
ASUS P8P67 EVO B3, Socket-1155 - ATX, P67, DDR3, 3xPCIe(2.0)x16, CFX& SLI, SATA 6Gb
Kingston ValueR. DDR3 1333MHz 8GB, CL9 - Kit w/2x ValueRAM 4GB DDR3
Intel® Core i5-2320 Processor - Socket-LGA1155, Quad Core, 3Ghz, 6MB, 95W, Boxed w
MSI GeForce GTX 560 1GB PhysX PCI-Express 2.0, GDDR5, DVI, native-HDMI,

I don't think this computer should have problems running Linux Mint and a web browser, so there must be something wrong somewhere.
Hope anybody can help me out here. If there are anything you need to know (log files etc) just ask, and I will post it as soon as I can.

Thanks!

--
Ole
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: My system is very slow

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator
HughT

Post by HughT »

Have you looked at the System Monitor to see what processes are using your resources? or

Code: Select all

oleronning

Post by oleronning »

Yes I have.

And the only process that takes up more than 1% of a processor core is Xorg. It constantly uses between 10 and 50% percent of a core. So I guess this is what slowing down the computer
HughT

Post by HughT »

you could try updating the nvidia GeForce driver. It's in their website http://uk.geforce.com/drivers. See 295.2. And there's a previous version in the repository so you can install from Synaptic. Make sure you double check which is the right one. See if that helps.
oleronning

Post by oleronning »

I'ts just a couple of days since I installed Mint Debian. Then I found a guide on how to install the latest driver. I can't find the guide at the moment, but I am prettu sure I have the latest driver. How can i check this?

Thank you for reply!
HughT

Post by HughT »

One of the outputs of

sudo lspci -k
shows module / driver in use. Or

lspci -v
also

nvidia-settings
oleronning

Post by oleronning »

sudo lspci -k
Returns:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 1201 (rev a1)
	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device 2326
	Kernel driver in use: nvidia

lspci -v
Returns:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 1201 (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device 2326
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
	Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32M]
	Memory at e8000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
	Memory at f0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
	I/O ports at e000 [size=128]
	[virtual] Expansion ROM at fa000000 [disabled] [size=512K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: nvidia

nvidia-settings
The control panel for nvidia settings says:NVIDIA Driver Version: 280.13
oleronning

Post by oleronning »

I just remembered something that may be (I really have no idea) connected to this problem. To be able to boot my computer I have to edit the startup command to include "acpi=off". I used several hours during installation to figure this out, and I don't know exactly what it does. But can acpi have something to do with my slow computer?
HughT

Post by HughT »

That's the latest Mint / Ubuntu recommended driver. But I don't really understand what's happening. X-org was crashing on your previous main edition Mint, then it was slow with Debian Edition, then you added an nvidia driver and it's still slow. I can't see that cpu load of no more than 50% is a problem. Not sure about the acpi-off option. Perhaps my guess that the graphics driver is at fault is not true. But I can't think off anything else just now. I run Mint 11 on an ancient Pentium 3 and is just about manages low res video.
Sorry I can't help you,
Bobbo

Post by Bobbo »

I would try going with some VESA driver and see if xorg still behaves the same way.

Check this out and see if it helps: http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
oleronning

Post by oleronning »

HughT wrote:That's the latest Mint / Ubuntu recommended driver. But I don't really understand what's happening. X-org was crashing on your previous main edition Mint, then it was slow with Debian Edition, then you added an nvidia driver and it's still slow. I can't see that cpu load of no more than 50% is a problem. Not sure about the acpi-off option. Perhaps my guess that the graphics driver is at fault is not true. But I can't think off anything else just now. I run Mint 11 on an ancient Pentium 3 and is just about manages low res video.
Sorry I can't help you,
I have read loads of posts about this stuff, without finding an problem that completely matches mine. But most of the people says that xorg shouldn't use more than 2-5% of the CPU when nothing is running. Today I did a reboot, and as usual things get better. But I guess that after a while tha same problem will show up. I have disabled most of the things that I had set to run at startup, so I'm hoping that one ore more processes ruined the xorg without shoving up in top themselves.

I really appreciate you trying to help med. It's really kind of you. Thank you!
oleronning

Post by oleronning »

Bobbo wrote:I would try going with some VESA driver and see if xorg still behaves the same way.

Check this out and see if it helps: http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
Do you know if the VESA driver has support for OpenGL? I need OpenGL, so Nouveau really didn't work for me.
HughT

Post by HughT »

Do you know if the VESA driver has support for OpenGL?
No, it doesn't. Still can't understand why you have these problems when the cpu still has headroom. Could it be something else?
oleronning

Post by oleronning »

After a lot of trying and failing with killing processes I have (at the moment) a computer that runs normally. I killed conky, and that seems to have fixed the problem. It has now gone about 24hours since I killed conky, and the computer has been stable since then.

I'm just hoping this completely solves my problem, I can live without conky if this fixes my problem.

Thank you for your answers!

--
Ole
spandey

Post by spandey »

Have you installed 32-bit version or 64-bit version?
oleronning

Post by oleronning »

I have the 64-bit version
spandey

Post by spandey »

Just few simple things to try if not done yet,
1. Disable Compiz
2. grub paramater nomodeset

I had read couple of months back many people with Nvidia had problems in debian wheezy. Nvidia released a patch and it seems to have fixed the problem. Check in debian wheezy or experimental repos for latest Nvidia drivers or NVIDIA itself.
oleronning

Post by oleronning »

After disabling conky my system has worked like a charm. Until now. When I arrived home today, my screen had gone completely weird, loads of colors and stuff, and I was unable to do anything. Even the ctrl + alt + backspace combo didn't work.

I don't understand why the computer can be allright for so long, and the suddenly go completely "insane" =/
Bobbo

Post by Bobbo »

Oh.. reminds me of my faulty voodoo graphics card back in the days. It was colourfull dots everywhere! .. in 3D-mode ofc, in 2D my matrox card took care of the work.. But still. My point is. It could be a faulty graphics card :(

Return to “LMDE Archive”